Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TUAW reports that Adobe has posted a list of known issues for its products running on OS X Lion. The list is unfortunately extensive, but the company's discussion of Flash Player issues stands out for the revelation that OS X Lion may have disabled hardware acceleration.
Flash Player may cause higher CPU activity when playing a YouTube video. Possibly related to disabled hardware acceleration.
Other issues with Flash Player include a loss of response to mouse clicks in the setting dialog and problems with animation of custom native mouse cursors.

In addition to the Flash Player issues, Adobe's support document lists a number of other issues with its products under OS X Lion, as well as a few general notes for users to be aware of:

- With OS X Lion now hiding the user Library folder by default, users may need to use Finder's "Go to Folder" command to access preferences and other user settings for Adobe applications. Alternatively, users can use the command line to make the Library folder permanently visible.

- OS X Lion's new reverse scrolling may throw off some users, not just in Adobe's applications but across the entire experience. Reverse scrolling can be disabled in System Preferences.

- A lack of Rosetta support in OS X Lion means that some older Adobe software such as CS2 or earlier will not run on the new operating system.

- Adobe is considering how it may adopt some of OS X Lion's new features such as Autosave, Restore, Versioning, Full Screen Mode, and new multi-touch gestures, but they haven't been implemented yet. Adobe specifically notes that the Restore feature which reopens all windows and files to their previous state when an application is relaunched does not function on Adobe applications.

Article Link: Adobe Suggests Disabled Hardware Acceleration for Flash Player in OS X Lion

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
I am not surprised that HW acceleration is "disabled" in the current version of flash. With the strict new sandboxing model on Lion, it did not seem like apps (or plugins) would be able to access the Graphics hardware without an update.

itsjoncharles

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
Hopefully it's just a bug. Safari is a lot better than on Snow Leopard, but it does randomly get sticks for no reason every now and then.

eliehass

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
I'm sorry, but this is just sad. Adobe is not some small no name developer. Apple has put out pre-release development builds of Lion for a while before its release. Adobe had plenty of time to put out a Lion compatible update. These comments make it sound like Adobe is just thinking about the implications of Lion now, after it's official release. They seriously dropped the ball here...

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I suggest disabling Flash.

Seriously, a video took up 53% of my CPU yesterday...

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So really adobe are saying 'we couldn't be bothered to update our software' despite having months worth of opportunities to do so

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

You mean flash is a buggy POS? And it doesn't work well with os x?

This is an unexpected and earth shattering revelation.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Uninstalled Flash yesterday anyways, i decided i don't need junk on my computer.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Adobe specifically notes that the Restore feature which reopens all windows and files to their previous state when an application is relaunched does not function on Adobe applications.

That's not a bug, that's a feature. Heck, I'd put it in a breakout on the front of the box.

Phazer

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
Did Apple seriously have to disable hardware acceleration on Flash? We get it, Steve, you don't like Flash. Some of us do like having it, though.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I am not surprised that HW acceleration is "disabled" in the current version of flash. With the strict new sandboxing model on Lion, it did not seem like apps (or plugins) would be able to access the Graphics hardware without an update.

Except Adobe uses VDA, an Apple framework, for the hardware acceleration. This suggests that somehow Apple broke their own VDA framework under Lion.

Why would Apple disable one of their own frameworks ? It's not like Adobe is directly accessing the hardware here, this is what frameworks are for!

Oh well kids, going to have to find another way to play Farm-ville

The way I'm reading it, this is not about hardware acceleration for graphics rendering, but for video decoding. Obviously, Apple has not disabled OpenGL hardware acceleration or there would be a major fit being thrown by gamers.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Hey, be fair, maybe no-one told them about Lion until this week! :rolleyes:

iekozz

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Amsterdam
I'm sorry, but this is just sad. Adobe is not some small no name developer. Apple has put out pre-release development builds of Lion for a while before its release. Adobe had plenty of time to put out a Lion compatible update. These comments make it sound like Adobe is just thinking about the implications of Lion now, after it's official release. They seriously dropped the ball here...
The samething happend to Windows Vista because developers waited until the code had gone golden. And it was too late then. Thats mostly the reason Vista was bad.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
So Apple disabled hardware acceleration?

Does it break other software that uses hardware acceleration?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Apple opened up the API needed and now turn around and block them. Typical.

Apple has a history of blocking features they need. It took Apple forever to give flash HW acceleration and now Apple turns around and blocks its.
Flash on OSX problems blame sits mostly will Apple. Adobe is not a small name dev so Apple should work with them a bit more but Apple refuses to do that.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
How long did Adobe have to test their software on Lion? Adobe is full of crap. Adobe get your act together or watch people stop using flash. Google labs is making a flash to HTML5 converter, YouTube supports HTML5, if Adobe keeps spewing crap like this, they will be forgotten.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Flash slows down my PC laptop as well.

Though so does Picassa and even Windows Explorer. and Internet Explorer slows down the PC.

We need to have software reduce the strain on the computer and be more efficient.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
LMAO.

What a bunch of jokers.

Flash Player may cause higher CPU activity when playing a YouTube video. Possibly related to disabled hardware acceleration.

Still???

Hey Shantanu, OS X has been on the market for around a decade. When will you get around to fixing your bad software? As if the pasting you got from Apple (and the market) over the last year wasn't enough.

yourstation

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008

eliehass said:

Well said. Adobe have no excuses but will try and blame Apple.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Did Apple seriously have to disable hardware acceleration on Flash? We get it, Steve, you don't like Flash. Some of us do like having it, though.

Steve doesn't care what we like. Soon there will be 300 posts defending this and stating how flash is unnecessary, Adobe sucks, etc etc. Just like you don't need flash on an iPad, but a lot of sites I visit require it. The problem is the user, not the equipment. Steve knows best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.