Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
So, I just bought a 1.86ghz Intel core duo iMac. If I upgrade the ram to 2gb and the cpu to a t7600 Intel processor will I be able to run Lion without a problem? or will I need to do something special? I am talking about the final release not the early betas.

And is it at all possible to run the Golden master on my Current specs on the iMac of 1.86ghz Intel core duo, 1.5gb of ram, and 128mb radeon x1600?

Thanks

Lion will not work on a Core Duo Mac. It requires a 64-bit CPU. Even with the a CPU upgrade, your iMac will not boot Lion without some as yet undeveloped hacks.

Ollie4c

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Lion will not work on a Core Duo Mac. It requires a 64-bit CPU. Even with the a CPU upgrade, your iMac will not boot Lion without some as yet undeveloped hacks.

Since Lion is rumored to be coming out on Wednesday I'd assume quite a few people would want to run it on their socketed iMac or Mac mini upgraded cpu. Could you message me if you find out some way to get it running with the cpu upgrade i mentioned before?

And also would the T7600 fit in my iMac and run right away or would I need to do something special?

Thanks

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
It will probally not work since we have the old intel Core Duo Macbooks, the Mac App Store won't let us download lion try it.

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
So, I just bought a 1.86ghz Intel core duo iMac. If I upgrade the ram to 2gb and the cpu to a t7600 Intel processor will I be able to run Lion without a problem? or will I need to do something special? I am talking about the final release not the early betas.

And is it at all possible to run the Golden master on my Current specs on the iMac of 1.86ghz Intel core duo, 1.5gb of ram, and 128mb radeon x1600?

Thanks

I had a similarly spec'd Mini and I upgraded it with I think a T7300 Core 2 Duo and 2GB ram a while back. The app store won't let me download Lion with that machine (says it's not compatible, but it's probably just looking at the model number, not actual hardware), but I am able to download it on my 2011 MBP. When I get home from work (late) I am going to make a bootable version of the download and follow the steps to modify the plist settings shown in this thread. I'll let you know if the install then works on my Mini.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I had a similarly spec'd Mini and I upgraded it with I think a T7300 Core 2 Duo and 2GB ram a while back. The app store won't let me download Lion with that machine, but I am able to download it on my 2011 MBP. When I get home from work (late) I am going to make a bootable version of the download and follow the steps to modify the plist settings shown in this thread. I'll let you know if the install then works on my Mini.

The plist hack no longer works. It only worked on the first developer preview. Now one must patch multiple files. The hardest of which are the kernel and boot.efi.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Can someone confirm that the plist hack no longer works? This is the only place that I've seen it stated that Core Duo's no longer can install Lion.

It has been confirmed by many long since the release of the 2nd developer preview.

onuryasar

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
it's stupid. my core duo desktop at the office works much more faster than my core 2 duo macbook, though i can't upgrade it to lion. plan rip-off.

mcdermd

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2004
I haven't put too much effort into it but I think it's checking for 32bit EFI in the installer. The plist hack still works to get the install image to boot but the actual installer app is checking.

I was lazy and got around it by booting my Core 2 Duo-upgraded Core Solo mini into target disk mode, then installing Lion onto it's hard drive from an early 2008 Core 2 Duo Macbook connected with firewire. After the install and a quick modification of the PlatformSupport.plist, Lion has been running fine on the mini (the same as the later developer builds did).

BradClarke

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 3.08.29 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 3.08.29 AM.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 852

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
Can I add this Educational Files to USB Bootable AppStore OSX Lion version ?
Or it does work only with GM version ?
I would like to be able to use Software Update, and I would like to use the OS I have bought.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
worked for me...

well, that was easy! installed and working well on a mac mini 1,1 upgraded with a T7200, 2gb ram, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

what i did...

1. bought and downloaded the retail 10.7 from the app store (11A511)

2. saved the image to an 8gb usb drive

3. installed 10.7 on an known supported device (MBP 2,2) on an external drive.

4. modified the installed 10.7 on the external drive by removing /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

5. took the external drive and booted the mini, used superduper to image the internal drive, and it works! apps all work, app store, software update, everything. even with the sucky 950 all the animations and eye candy work, no noticeable lag.

best of luck to all the 1,1 upgraders!

Last edited:

Miti96

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2009
Any chance there'll be a possibility to let Lion run on non-supported hardware?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I haven't put too much effort into it but I think it's checking for 32bit EFI in the installer. The plist hack still works to get the install image to boot but the actual installer app is checking.

The 32-bit EFI is not the problem. The first two generations of Mac Pro's have 64-bit CPUs and 32-bit EFI, yet they run Lion without a problem.

well, that was easy! installed and working well on a mac mini 1,1 upgraded with a T7200, 2gb ram, etc.

what i did...

4. modified the installed 10.7 on the external drive by removing /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

5. took the external drive and booted the mini, used superduper to image the internal drive, and it works! apps all work, app store, software update, everything. even with the sucky 950 all the animations and eye candy work, no noticeable lag.

I cannot get this to work. The plist hack hasn't worked since the first developer preview.

Last edited:

revillug

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
The 32-bit EFI is not the problem. The first two generations of Mac Pro's have 64-bit CPUs and 32-bit EFI, yet they run Lion without a problem.

I cannot get this to work. The plist hack hasn't worked since the first developer preview.

So you followed what 4JNA said? and it didnt work?
It should work, if you can find the supported.plist on the external hd

i will try it soon :)

watons

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011

what i did...

but the question is I have no supported device... can u upload the external drive (installed) image for sharing??

revillug

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
works

Thanks 4JNA it worked like a charm!

if anyone else is struggling just follow 4JNA's mini guide!

:)

Ollie4c

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Is there a way I can download a modified backup from 4JNA's guide? I don't have a mac that can run lion natively nor do I have access to one. So is their a way I can do it without a core 2 duo and up mac around. Maybe a modified backup that someone could send to me or something like that?

Thanks

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Is there a way I can download a modified backup from 4JNA's guide? I don't have a mac that can run lion natively nor do I have access to one. So is their a way I can do it without a core 2 duo and up mac around. Maybe a modified backup that someone could send to me or something like that?

Thanks

No, doing so is illegal.

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Thanks

Creating a Lion virtual machine and cloning the virtual drive worked for me.

Ollie4c

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
No, doing so is illegal.

I have no problem buying it from the app store, but it won't let me. I'll buy an extra copy of Snow Leopard to make up for the 29.99 I am not giving to Apple for Lion. Will that work for you?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I have no problem buying it from the app store, but it won't let me. I'll buy an extra copy of Snow Leopard to make up for the 29.99 I am not giving to Apple for Lion. Will that work for you?

The question isn't about me. Its about Apple's lawyers. In the event they sue you, that will not pass. In addition, piracy is not allowed to be discussed on Macrumors.

Ollie4c

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
The question isn't about me. Its about Apple's lawyers. In the event they sue you, that will not pass. In addition, piracy is not allowed to be discussed on Macrumors.

How do you suggest I go about getting it legally if apple won't allow me to download it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.