Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dominus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
Suddenly a couple of weeks ago, my songs can no longer be sorted alphabetically by name. The songs are sorted by artist, then by song name. I've tried all the common sense steps on how to sort but nothing works. This occurs on iTunes Windows, iPod, and iPad "Remote" (controlling a mac mini with iTunes).

Please help! Is there some software or other fix out there somewhere?

Here's a video just so you can see I'm not doing it wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhmPLpgQ5uw

In the video, I'm following advice to click "View as List" then click "Name" to no avail. I also tried clicking other fields and then "Name", but the result is the same-- sorting by artist name first then song name.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
Suddenly a couple of weeks ago, my songs can no longer be sorted alphabetically by name. The songs are sorted by artist, then by song name. I've tried all the common sense steps on how to sort but nothing works. This occurs on iTunes Windows, iPod, and iPad "Remote" (controlling a mac mini with iTunes).

Please help! Is there some software or other fix out there somewhere?

Here's a video just so you can see I'm not doing it wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhmPLpgQ5uw

In the video, I'm following advice to click "View as List" then click "Name" to no avail. I also tried clicking other fields and then "Name", but the result is the same-- sorting by artist name first then song name.

When viewing Music on your iPod, are you viewing the tab "Songs"? On this tab, it should always list the songs by their title in alphabetical order ascending.

Seeing as the iPad's player is a bit like iTunes, have you tried clicking on the "Name" tag at the top? Make sure the arrow is facing up for ascending order.

As for iTunes on PC, just look at the attachment picture.

Attachments

• iTunesname.jpg
    iTunesname.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 6,281

rajivsinghsuwal

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
On either iPhone or iPad, it sorts songs based on the Track number (#) for each Album. If you have songs with blank Track number under Track # menu item in iTunes, it will automatically give Track numbers and sort it accordingly on iPhone.
:)
In iTunes, if the column is not shown, right click on the column name bar and select Track Number from the list.

On Windows PCs, folders which have your songs will show a column name '#' for Track Number.

One easy way to sort all the Songs in each Album is by making the Track # blank in each song. In iTunes, select all the songs for Album -> Right Click -> Select Get Info - > Select Info tab.
Type 0 on the two boxes underneath Track Number[0 of 0]. After you click ok, none of songs should have any number under Track # column.
Sync with iPhone/iPad. Now it will sort all the songs in that Album by Song Name in Ascending order.
Likewise you can do so on Windows PC folder. Select Album songs -> Right click - > Click Properties ->Click Details tab -> Type 0 on # item -> Click Ok:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.