Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Poor choice of words there, it can never be legitimate when you download Lion as a torrent.
People are fearful of the BOT NET. If your disc image checks out identical to a retail image, it is the same. Adhering to the EULA/distribution is another story entirely.

You can torrent Windows 7. Not that I would when I can directly download it from other sources. Just make sure you pass MD5/SHA-1 checks.

djdeckster

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
New Jersey
A whole new OS? your kidding right?
It's a slower Snow Leopard with "NEW" WALLPAPER and "NEW" HORRIBLE Exposè.
Come on guys this is Apple Vista, it must be free.

What? :confused: ....this OS is running better for me than SL was. o_O;;

Plus everything Lion has changed I like a lot. Calling this OS Apple Vista is harsh, it's not ANYWHERE near that. But to each his own. :rolleyes:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Can't wait for my 13" MBA to get here... Had to cancel my order twice for dumb reasons, and it looks like it'll get here on Monday even with overnight shipping.

Disliking all of you that got yours already :mad:

Nyaah, nyaah - I have Lion and you don't :p

I think with major changes there will always be mixed reviews.

People liking/disliking the addition of new features.
People liking/disliking the removal of old features.
People who plain liking/disliking change.
People liking/disliking because they like/dislike :apple:.

Very succinct, right on the mark. :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So, in one week, it will have had 7 million + days of widely varied testing with every possible app. I will then consider it safe to try :)

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I love Lion. Sure there are some bumps what will be sorted out with updates but overall i am very pleased with it.

And i am sure this(Mac App store) is the way forward in terms of distributing software.

The future is exciting:)

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
What's the point of ever quoting a marketing person's response to anything? Always just pure fluff.

Tony

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Unfortunately F5 will probably take a year to update their VPN client to be Lion compatible. I'll just have to dream until then.

smali

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
People are fearful of the BOT NET. If your disc image checks out identical to a retail image, it is the same. Adhering to the EULA/distribution is another story entirely.

You can torrent Windows 7. Not that I would when I can directly download it from other sources. Just make sure you pass MD5/SHA-1 checks.

Man who gives a damn. The price is so low that even a welfare scrounger would call the upgrade to Lion pocket change.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Man who gives a damn. The price is so low that even a welfare scrounger would call the upgrade to Lion pocket change.
For some people roughly $30 is a lot of money. Not everyone is rich. Please understand this.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I do not condone it but if it passes hash checks, it is legitimate.

Not necessarily. Most people use the "broken" MD5-algorithm to create checksums.

From wikipedia:
"The security of the MD5 hash function is severely compromised."

Bruce Schneier writes:
"Two researchers from the Institute for Cryptology and IT-Security have generated PostScript files with identical MD5-sums but entirely different (but meaningful!) content."

Good luck with your MD5-checked so called "legitimate" copies of Lion.

codyc815

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
Misleading title, not all one million were bought. Apple just said downloaded. All Macs purchased after June 5 were given a free upgrade and Apple retail (and presumably corporate) employees were given a free promo code.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Tell that to the people I see everyday without jobs, computers at home, or internet access. I doubt Lion is anywhere on their radar much less a comprehension of the alphabet, the skills to use a GUI, or even basic problem solving skills.

Seriously posting here is some bizarro world, occasionally corpo-sycophantic, detached reality compared to what exists just stepping outside the door or going to work. The shock is rather jarring sometimes.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Well, it's a good sign that they didn't have bandwidth issues like with the MobileMe launch.

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Purchases or Downloads?

Is that one million purchases, or one million downloads?

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I doubt they would have sold anywhere close to that many copies if everyone had to go buy a disk. I wouldn't have gone out and bought it at a store yesterday, but it couldn't be easier just downloading it at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.