Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPad has a 61 percent share of the tablet market in the last quarter, according to research firm Strategy Analytics -- but not everyone is convinced that its numbers are accurate.
ipad2_hero.jpg

The firm claims Android increased its share to 30 percent, up from just 2.9 percent a year ago, when Apple claimed 94.3 percent of the tablet market. But Daring Fireball's John Gruber isn't buying it.
Looks like those numbers are for units shipped, not units sold. Except that for Apple those numbers are one and the same, because they're selling iPads as fast as they can make them. Judging by Google's own numbers for Android OS versions in use, it sure seems like a lot of Android 3 tablets are sitting on store shelves.
Gruber points out that same research firm, Strategy Analytics, placed iPads at a 75 percent share in the holiday quarter last year -- but it only looked at shipped products. Not those actually in the hands of customers.

In its earnings call earlier this week, Apple COO Tim Cook noted that at the end of the June quarter "we were still selling every unit we could make during the quarter and that was the situation as we ended the quarter."

During the same call, Tim Cook had much to say about how Android "activation" numbers are calculated versus iOS:
I think the Android activation number is a difficult one to get our hands around, because unlike our numbers, which you can kind of go to our data sheet and you can add the iPods and the iPads and make a reasonable approximation of the iPod touch which spans over half of our iPod sales. You can quickly see that in the June quarter that we sold over 33 million iOS devices and across time, as Peter mentioned in his opening comments, we are now over 222 million cumulative iOS devices. And so we think this is incredible. And so our numbers are very straight forward, they're transparent and they're reported quarterly.
With Apple selling record numbers of iOS devices, and recording record profits, the Apple brass don't seem too concerned with Android's tablet numbers.

Regardless, with the public buying every iPad Apple can make, there doesn't seem to be much Apple needs to do -- other than build more iPads.

Article Link: Research Firm Claims iPad Only Has 61% of Tablet Market

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
I call that ********.

I have yet to see an Android/Windows/Nokia/HP tablet in the market being actually used by some people. Maybe there are those people; but 40% tablets other than the iPad comes as a shock to me.

Who is buying those tablets? No one's buying PlayBook OR Motorola XOOM or ...

I really like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the ASUS Transfer. But they together couldn't take 20% of the market. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
It's very simple folks: look at the tablets you see in use. Are iPads only making up 6 out of every 10? No? You see more like 8 or 9 out of every 10? That's how you know this study (like so many) is flawed.

The iPad is dominating the tablet market in such a way that certain other companies are trying to find ways to create market studies that show otherwise. It's an old game.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

61%? I'm not buying it. I haven't even seen a tablet other than an iPad in the wild yet.

All I see is iPads and Kindles out there. But I don't consider a Kindle a tablet.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
It's very simple folks: look at the tablets you see in use. Are iPads only making up 6 out of every 10? No? You see more like 8 or 9 out of every 10? That's how you know this study (like so many) is flawed.
Looking at "tablets in use" (a very personal, subjective thing) is an even more-flawed approach (not that I really agree with Strategy Analytics' numbers).

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I call that ********.

I have yet to see an Android/Windows/Nokia/HP tablet in the market being actually used by some people. Maybe there are those people; but 40% tablets other than the iPad comes as a shock to me.

I really like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the ASUS Transfer. But they together couldn't take 20% of the market. :(

I know one Xoom owner, who is a die-hard Apple hater (no facts or reason required). So I’ve seen one of those—and some attempts to get it to do anything as well as the iPad. (“This can do that too!” is seldom accurate in practice.) I also once saw a super-cheap Android tablet from Asia, at a hobby event, which could do very little and had broken repeatedly. So the proud owner showed off its features.... via videos played on his “backup” tablet: an iPad!

Other than those two, I have never seen a non-iPad tablet in the wild.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I wonder how many of the 39% were tablets prescribed by a doctor?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I call that ********.

Nokia don't have a tablet... thats why you've never seen one.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I haven't seen any tablet in the wild yet.

Walk in tall grass with lots of Poké Balls, eventually you'll see and catch one. ;)

I've been blessed with the opportunity of mass-deploying iPads for our school, only 1120 left to go! I've yet to see anything other than an iPad in the wild also.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
the report is for the period ending Dec 31 2010.
What good is that info?

Asus, Acer, Motorola, RIM, HP didn't have any offering; and Apple didn't release the iPad 2 yet. It was basically Samsung Galaxy tab vs. iPad 1 - and that's old news.

Since then, ASUS, Acer and maybe Samsung are the only one that seem to be selling, but iPad 2 has been flying off the shelves.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Looking at "tablets in use" (a very personal, subjective thing) is an even more-flawed approach (not that I really agree with Strategy Analytics' numbers).

Unless you are a researcher, it's the best we can do on a personal level. And when something is supposed to be as popular as Android devices are supposed to be (according to all those studies), you'd think we see more of them around in the wild the way we do Apple devices.

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Units shipped not sold!

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

The iPad is dominating the tablet market in such a way that certain other companies are trying to find ways to create market studies that show otherwise. It's an old game.

:D :D those other guys all have a copy of How to Lie With Statistics (by Darrell Huff, illustrated by Irving Geis), an illuminating little book first published in 1954, and featured in most economics curricula ever since.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I know one Xoom owner, who is a die-hard Apple hater (no facts or reason required). So I’ve seen one of those—and some attempts to get it to do anything as well as the iPad. (“This can do that too!” is seldom accurate in practice.) I also once saw a super-cheap Android tablet from Asia, at a hobby event, which could do very little and had broken repeatedly. So the proud owner showed off its features.... via videos played on his “backup” tablet: an iPad!

Other than those two, I have never seen a non-iPad tablet in the wild.

Well you have to remember those craplets are not counted by Google.

As for the survay I would not call it that good. 61% is way WAY to low for iPad market share.

As for tablets in the wild I have seen a few different ones when I have gone out to eat at lunch some around campus but for the most part I do not see any tablets. The ones I do see are mostly iPads but I have seen clearly some of the others.

I personally would love to get my hands on a galaxy tab but can not justify the cost. I am not locked into the Apple eco system but tablets just are not something I really am digging yet.

S.Jobs

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2010
Pittsburgh
So 2 devices have 61% of the market while the 39% left is divided up with like 100s of devices with different operating software. Good for you apple :apple:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I've seen a total of 3 Android tablets that I can remember...ever. iPads? There's at least 6 people within 50 feet of me here at work who I know have them, and I've seen many others out on the street.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
I was recently at an airport where, in a gadget shop, I saw a bunch of tablets. First time I've ever seen any of them. I had not even heard of some of them.

I see iPads being used almost every day. Whoever cooked up this survey needs to realize that when you push propaganda, you need to make it at least semi-believable.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I was recently at an airport where, in a gadget shop, I saw a bunch of tablets. First time I've ever seen any of them. I had not even heard of some of them.

I see iPads being used almost every day. Whoever cooked up this survey needs to realize that when you push propaganda, you need to make it at least semi-believable.

No, you don't. You just have to cover it with stuff people want to hear. You can make people believe anything that way.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is some top notch research. Anyone who can spell tablet knows this is not true.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Here's the answer to anyone's question regarding this issue, and it's already in the article:

In its earnings call earlier this week, Apple COO Tim Cook noted that at the end of the June quarter "we were still selling every unit we could make during the quarter and that was the situation as we ended the quarter."

During the same call, Tim Cook had much to say about how Android "activation" numbers are calculated versus iOS:

I think the Android activation number is a difficult one to get our hands around, because unlike our numbers, which you can kind of go to our data sheet and you can add the iPods and the iPads and make a reasonable approximation of the iPod touch which spans over half of our iPod sales. You can quickly see that in the June quarter that we sold over 33 million iOS devices and across time, as Peter mentioned in his opening comments, we are now over 222 million cumulative iOS devices. And so we think this is incredible. And so our numbers are very straight forward, they're transparent and they're reported quarterly.

With Apple selling record numbers of iOS devices, and recording record profits, the Apple brass don't seem too concerned with Android's tablet numbers.

Regardless, with the public buying every iPad Apple can make, there doesn't seem to be much Apple needs to do -- other than build more iPads.

Article Link: Research Firm Claims iPad Only Has 61% of Tablet Market

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.