Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Minicube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Some of you have the new Mini in your hands and probably have a backup clone disk of your Snow Leopard OS. Does your new Mini boot off the external SL disk?

THanks!

Tulpa

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
Well you could theoretically have an external DVD drive, but I'm not sure the new minis will boot from it.

Minicube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
An external USB hard drive, of course. Or a Firewire hard drive. I guess the word disk threw everyone off.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Some of you have the new Mini in your hands and probably have a backup clone disk of your Snow Leopard OS. Does your new Mini boot off the external SL disk?

THanks!

The grey DVD from Early-2011 mobile Macs (MacBook Pro) should work, if you eliminate the machine specific check in OSInstall.mpkg. This disc contains Thunderbolt drivers and other required drivers for your Mac mini.

This is my way, how i remove the machine specific check (this guide can contain omissions):
How To Create An Universal Boot DVD

Make sure you have the following software:
- Xcode Tools installed (for xar support)
- BBEdit or TextWrangler
- Pacifist

Create a read/write copy of your installation DVD with Disk Utility or hdiutil! Now eject the real DVD and mount the read/write disk image of your installation DVD! The order of the steps is important.

Open a new Terminal window and make sure you have root privileges via:
sudo -s

Create two directories on your startup disk with:
mkdir /bootstuff/
mkdir /finalbootstuff/

Change the current working directory with:
cd /bootstuff/

Copy the OSInstall.mpkg to the "bootstuff" subfolder on your startup disk with:
ditto /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg /bootstuff/OSInstall.mpkg

Decompress with:
xar -xvf OSInstall.mpkg

Open the "Distribution" file with a plain text editor (BBEdit or TextWrangler for example) and find the function "installCheckScript" and let it return "true" at the beginning of the function (use other functions in the script as an example)! Save your work!

Remove the no longer needed "OSInstall.mpkg" from the "bootstuff" folder:
rm -rfv /bootstuff/OSInstall.mpkg

Recompress it with:
xar -cvf /finalbootstuff/OSInstall.mpkg ./

If you followed this guide you can see with Pacifist, that the recompressed package has the exact same structure as the original package. This is important! Otherwise the installer would not be able to use the recompressed package.

Delete the old OSInstall.mpkg with:
rm -rfv /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

Copy the new OSInstall.mpkg to the Mac OS X Installation DVD with:
ditto /finalbootstuff/OSInstall.mpkg /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

Eject the Mac OS X installation DVD with:
hdiutil detach -force /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/

You can now burn the modified disk image to a new DL-DVD, or you can "restore" the DVD-contents to a GPT-formatted flash memory disk.

Special note:
I'm sure you can use
xar -cvf /finalbootstuff/OSInstall.mpkg *
instead of
xar -cvf /finalbootstuff/OSInstall.mpkg ./

scenemissing

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Sad, I hate that Apple does this. In the corporate world you have to get all your machines running the same OS, and there may be testing procedures, paperwork, ect. This means we can't buy any minis for a while.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Macminicolo report that they couldn't get SL to boot :-/

http://www.macminicolo.net/macmini2011

They did not tell us, which version of SL they did try. For example, 10.6.8 for a 2010-Mac is not the same OS as 10.6.8 for a Early-2011-Mac. The Mac mini contains MacBook Pro parts, so i think a modified Early-2011 MBP installation DVD ("restored" to a USB flash drive) should work.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Just give it time for someone to figure it out. Presume you would take a SL install from an external drive, change some settings, then boot it from a 2011 mini.

Minicube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Thanks for the info, guys. (Retro, your instructions look promising; let us know if they do work for the new Mini). It looks like there may be a chance of it working in the future, but it's not booting out of the box. No new Mini for me until it does... ;-(

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
They did not tell us, which version of SL they did try. For example, 10.6.8 for a 2010-Mac is not the same OS as 10.6.8 for a Early-2011-Mac. The Mac mini contains MacBook Pro parts, so i think a modified Early-2011 MBP installation DVD ("restored" to a USB flash drive) should work.

I have a snow leopard upgrade disc that will load snow leopard 10.6 I think if I play around with this it may work.

see thumbnail

Attachments

• IMG_1084small.jpg
    IMG_1084small.jpg
    891.4 KB · Views: 103

Minicube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
I have an install DVD from a 2011 Macbook Pro. I wonder if that might work since the internal parts are so similar; of course I don't have a Mini to test it with...

dramaticaudio

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
I have succeeded in loading 10.6.7 on the new July 2011 MacMini Server using the install disc for the 2011 MacbookPro 15" (i7 quad-core with the intel3000 video drivers). It does work and I have 100% verification.

It was simple actually, just loaded an SSD into an enclosure, connected it to the Macbook, installed the system on the drive, removed the drive from the enclosure and installed it into the MacMiniServer and done. The installation was the only tricky part... tight little box!

That said, it's running smooth. Fast as hell. Something is not right though. Cursor seems to get visually stuck. It looks like a non-spinning beach ball most of the time, but it's not processing anything. Works normally, just the cursor image displayed seems to get tripped up or something. That's the only anomaly I've noticed so far. Wonder if that can be fixed?

Minicube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
I have succeeded in loading 10.6.7 on the new July 2011 MacMini Server using the install disc for the 2011 MacbookPro 15" (i7 quad-core with the intel3000 video drivers). It does work and I have 100% verification.

It was simple actually, just loaded an SSD into an enclosure, connected it to the Macbook, installed the system on the drive, removed the drive from the enclosure and installed it into the MacMiniServer and done. The installation was the only tricky part... tight little box!

That said, it's running smooth. Fast as hell. Something is not right though. Cursor seems to get visually stuck. It looks like a non-spinning beach ball most of the time, but it's not processing anything. Works normally, just the cursor image displayed seems to get tripped up or something. That's the only anomaly I've noticed so far. Wonder if that can be fixed?

This is GREAT news! I'm wondering if that same MBP disk (which I have) would work for the base model mini? That cursor issue must be irritating, but there should be a fix for that...

dramaticaudio

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
This is GREAT news! I'm wondering if that same MBP disk (which I have) would work for the base model mini? That cursor issue must be irritating, but there should be a fix for that...

I'm sure that the base models will work fine. I was more concerned about the server actually because of the ordeal that I had to go through installing SL on last year's SL MiniServer.

On the cursor issue, this may have been due to the processor being overloaded by spotlight/itunes indexing and that sort of thing, because it seems to have gone away.

Rock solid man. I'd say jump in! :D

Last edited:

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I'm sure that the base models will work fine. I was more concerned about the server actually because of the ordeal that I had to go through installing SL on last year's SL MiniServer.

On the cursor issue, this may have been due to the processor being overloaded by spotlight/itunes indexing and that sort of thing, because it seems to have gone away.

Rock solid man. I'd say jump in! :D

Thanks for your test! I will buy a new Mac mini as soon as possible.

Minicube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
So I jumped in, and here is what I found.

I have the base 2.3 i5 model with 2 gigs of RAM.

When I tried booting from my old Mini (C2D 2.0--in headless Target Disk mode) running Snow Leopard the screen went black during the boot process IF I HAD THE DISPLAY HOOKED TO THE THUNDERBOLT PORT. When I switched to the HDMI port, the screen went black for a second, BUT THEN IT BOOTED NORMALLY! That's the good news, the bad news is that the cursor turns into a non-spinning beach ball as someone mentioned above. Can't seem to get that to go away. I'm thinking maybe more RAM, or running Disk Utilities once I get SL on the actual Mini drive might help.

Also, the system seems very slow, no doubt due to the 2 gigs of RAM (I have 8 on order). Not a good idea for Apple to ship with 2 gigs, IMO.

Anyway, I cloned the (virgin) Lion OS to an external drive, and will now partition the Mini drive into 2 parts, one for Lion and one for Snow Leopard. Then I will clone Lion back, and clone my old Mini Snow Leopard to the other partition. I hope to end up with a dual booting 2011 Mini.

Minicube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
TA, did you not read the above post? I DID boot from my 2009 mini drive in Target Disk mode (there is another post above about it working from a MBP install disk). Aside from the cursor issue, the system seemed solid. Unfortunately, when I cloned my 2009 mini drive to a partition on the 2011 mini drive, it wouldn't work (gray screen gear spun forever). Makes no sense that it would boot externally, but not from the home drive. Obviously, some more testing/work needs to be done.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I imagine the cursor issues are related to the lion prepped firmware in the mini. Is your mouse Bluetooth? It could also be a driver incompatibility between the new Bluetooth tech introduced in the new macs.

Minicube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Nope, I was using a USB mouse connected to the keyboard. The strange thing is that the cursor appears normal some of the time, and always functions like a cursor should, just with a strange appearance. It's so close...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.