Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazy$hark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
After I installed Lion I noticed that whenever I put anything in the trash, it make the trash noise, the file disappeared but the trash can is still empty. There is no way I can Empty the Trash because there are no files there. :confused:

also whenever i try to delete something it asks me for my password

Last edited:

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
The trash noise suggests that it is being emptied automatically. Try relaunching Finder using the Force Quit menu. The FQ menu is found by clicing the :apple: at the top left of the screen.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
After I installed Lion I noticed that whenever I put anything in the trash, it make the trash noise, the file disappeared but the trash can is still empty. There is no way I can Empty the Trash because there are no files there. :confused:

This happened to me too. I deleted a file but didn't empty the trash but the file wasn't in the trash for some reason.

I fixed it by opening the trash and creating a blank new folder and moving that folder to the trash. Miraculously, the things I deleted before appeared and I was able to empty the trash.

It seems like a bug.

crazy$hark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
The trash noise suggests that it is being emptied automatically. Try relaunching Finder using the Force Quit menu. The FQ menu is found by clicing the :apple: at the top left of the screen.

By trash noise, i mean the noise that tells you that a file is put in the trash, not deleted

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
By trash noise, i mean the noise that tells you that a file is put in the trash, not deleted

Whoops, sorry. Forget there was two trash related noises.

I've had similar issues after running some utilities but a previous post in this thread sound more like the issue you are talking about.

Did that solution work?

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
No, it didn't work for me:(

What are you trying to delete? If Finder asks for your password, that means that the file is important(most likely) and you shouldn't delete it.

Did you try what I suggested though? Because I had to clean install Lion on two machines and I had this exact problem on both of them. And having the trash open and then moving a useless blank folder to the trash fixed the problem and now it works fine.

crazy$hark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
it asks for my password for anything i try to delete (for example a blank folder or a picture). Yes, i tried your solution but it's still not working :(

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Can you move a file from the desktop to downloads folder or something or does it also ask for your password when you do that?

Koffie

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
I am having the exact same problem(s)
just stuff like .dmg files i downloaded for installing apps in the downloads folder.
dragging to the trash doesn't work.
opening the downloads folder, and then right click and move to trash works, but i have to insert a password. very annoying.
Then indeed, the file gets deleted, and nothing in the trash.

edit: Made an empty folder in documents, trashed it using the right click, filled in password, trash still empty, so this method doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
This works on Snow Leopard and Leopard, and perhaps on Lion:

1. Quit the "Terminal" application and relaunch it, to make sure that you are NOT logged in as another user (root for example). This is important, because the folder we create will get all the permissions from the parent folder (your "home" folder), and only the user who created the new ".Trash" directory (you) will be able to use it without restrictions.

2. In the Terminal type

sudo rm -frv ~/.Trash

to remove the old ".Trash" directory and all folders and files in the old ".Trash" directory.

3. In the Terminal type

mkdir -v ~/.Trash

to create a new ".Trash" directory in your "home" folder!

4. In the Terminal type

osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to quit'

then

osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to activate'

to restart the Finder!

5. Done! You can now move files in the trash!

If the Finder restart does not work on your system, then logout/login to activate the new trash can.

AppleScript version for Apples Script Editor (comes with Mac OS X):
on run

with timeout of 86400 seconds

do shell script "/bin/rm -fr ~/.Trash" with administrator privileges
do shell script "/bin/mkdir ~/.Trash"

tell application "Finder" to quit
tell application "Finder" to activate

end timeout

end run

Last edited:
Reactions: MDJCM

Koffie

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
This works on Snow Leopard and Leopard, and perhaps on Lion:

The stopping and relaunching of finder didn't work for me.
Neither did it work when relaunching finder in force quit
But after a log off and log on, it worked like a charm!
Thanks!

crazy$hark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
also when I delete something off an external HDD, it works perfectly, but even then the same thing happens if i try to delete something off my mac

MattiasN

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden
I am having the same problem on Mac OSX Lion 10.7.1, ie that I have to enter the password every time I delete files on my system disk and when the file is deleted it doesnt show up in the Trash and it doesnt free up disk space.

I dont get the password window when deleting files on my external HD. And when I create an empty folder on my external HD, move it to the trash and empty the trash it clears all the disappeared/non-visible files in the trash.

Have you heard of any solution to this annoying issue?

crazy$hark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I am having the same problem on Mac OSX Lion 10.7.1, ie that I have to enter the password every time I delete files on my system disk and when the file is deleted it doesnt show up in the Trash and it doesnt free up disk space.

I dont get the password window when deleting files on my external HD. And when I create an empty folder on my external HD, move it to the trash and empty the trash it clears all the disappeared/non-visible files in the trash.

Have you heard of any solution to this annoying issue?

I solved this problem by reinstalling lion. Hopefully you have a back up of your comp when it had snow leopard. I restored from my snowleopard back up and upgraded back to Lion. Everything work ls fine now.

MattiasN

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden
Thanks for the answer, crazy$hark. However I tried the steps in Mr. Retrofire's post and it seems to have solved the problem for me.

You said that the starting and stopping of Finder didnt work for you. When you tried the solution, are you sure that you also wrote the text 'tell application "Finder" to quit' and 'tell application "Finder" to activate' after the osascript commands? I excluded those lines the first time I tried because I thought they were script comments. But obviously the lines are the name of the osascripts and has to be included/written in the command lines.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
When this happens, usually if I run the trash empty of Lion cache Cleaner, it fixes it.

gigi6546

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
Hello,
I'm pretty new to mac and have never used the terminal before so I was wondering if these steps were correct for fixing my trashcan.

(1) type: sudo rm -frv ~/.Trash after my user name in the terminal
(2) press 'enter' then type: mkdir -v ~/.Trash
(3) press 'enter' again then type: osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to quit'
(4) press 'enter' then type: osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to activate'
(5) press return key

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.