Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would think they would bump it to an A5 CPU and the latest GPU, since they put such an emphasis on gaming. I can see everything else staying the same though.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
iPod Touch with 3G+WiFi connectivity should suffice :D

I don't care what colors it will be.

why everyone is hoping for a 3G Model?Apple will never gonna put it :)

Oh yeah? Many people convinced Apple would never dump white Macbook either, don't they?

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
A white ipod touch is NOT an update. Most people put colored protective cases on their touches anyway. If that is all Apple changes, I will be dissapointed.

A BETTER camera is all i want in the next ipod touch update. I would take a thicker ipod touch if need be. Heck the damn thing is almost too thin as is. But the current camera is *****. Sorry. But true. There is no reason NOT to update the camera. The darn thing is less than a friggin mega pixel. You can get a plastic kids camera at Toys R Us with more mega pixels.

It makes good business sense too. The ipod touch can replace a flip camera when travelling. People are shooting more video these days, and not everyone has an iphone or a phone that can shoot and edit video so easily.

Plus more than ever ipod touches, like ipads are becoming great video chat devices. Especially with facetime and the upcoming iOS 5.

It just makes sense. Such a weak low res camera in the ipod touch is kinda insulting to Apple. They are synonomous with quality. A year with such a low res cam is long enough.

A white ipod touch? Great. Whoop dee doo. Fine. But update the darn camera too.

5 mega pixels would be great. Even 2 or 3 would be more than whats in their now by an order of magnitude! That is crazy.

Ok. End. Of. Rant. :p

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Ok But.......

I realize white is the traditional Apple color but because most of us have iPod Touchs that have never been outside of a case I am not sure what difference it makes. :D

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
What is the with tech press's obsession with white iDevices?
Cosmetic features can very important to consumer electronics devices, especially with some as personal as a telephone. In particular, white electronics are very popular in certain lucrative markets such as Southeast Asia and Europe.

Without a doubt, white iPhones contributed significantly to Apple's blowout Q3 where they sold over 20 million units, well above analyst estimates (both the professionals and the bloggers).

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Plus more than ever ipod touches, like ipads are becoming great video chat devices. Especially with facetime and the upcoming iOS 5.

It just makes sense. Such a weak low res camera in the ipod touch is kinda insulting to Apple. They are synonomous with quality. A year with such a low res cam is long enough.

5 mega pixels would be great. Even 2 or 3 would be more than whats in their now by an order of magnitude! That is crazy.

Ok. End. Of. Rant. :p

The iPod Touch's camera is much worse, but many of your examples are just talking about video or video chat, where it isn't *that* much worse than the iPhone 4. The quality bottleneck in Facetime is not the number of pixels (or even the overall sensor quality) of the camera at this point :)

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
There is no reason NOT to update the camera. The darn thing is less than a friggin mega pixel. You can get a plastic kids camera at Toys R Us with more mega pixels.

It makes good business sense too. The ipod touch can replace a flip camera when travelling. People are shooting more video these days, and not everyone has an iphone or a phone that can shoot and edit video so easily.

A lot of people don't seem to understand this, but HD (720p) is less than one megapixel. If you're so focused on video recording, why would you want more than that? The A5 seems capable of 1080p and FaceTime as a standard recently started supporting more than 480p, so maybe we'll see a bump to 2MP sensors in the future (1080p is about 2MP).

Otherwise, if video recording is the focus as you describe, sticking a 5MP sensor in there would give you worse video quality compared to an equivalently-sized 1MP sensor. The more dense the sensor's pixels, the less light hits each one, and the worse the image quality.

So given that FaceTime was only 480p and the A4 could only do 720p, the iPod touch 4 had the absolute highest res sensors you would want for video. If you're arguing that you'd like a better sensor for pictures (which you're not), then you might have a point, but then they run into size issues for decent-quality sensors.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
As others have said, given Apple advertises the iPod Touch as a gaming device, the A5 with SGX543MP2 is definitely expected. If only to keep pace with the 3DS and Playstation Vita.

If it is just a minor update, at a minor the iPod Touch needs a bump to 512MB of RAM and higher clock speeds say from 800MHz to 1GHz like the original iPad. That would at least put it on top of the iPhone 4. Plus the base model definitely needs at least 16GB of flash memory given the size of games nowadays.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Slow rumor mill day, eh, MacRumors?

I guess Apple shot their wad on Wednesday? :D

But... rumors on the touch is good. It's an important product. I hope the new one is in line with the current iPhone4 specs. Retina, A4/A5 processor, etc... Oh... just make sure it has a plastic back. Not glass! :D

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
First Apple made nothing but white iPods.
Customers: "But we want more choices!"
Then Apple made black iPods.
Apple "You want black iPods? Okay - But now you get nothing but black iPods"
Customers: "But we want more choices!"
Then they made black and white iPhones.
Apple: "Okay, you have choices now"
Customers: "Yay!"
Then Apple's suppliers screwed up on the white iPhone 4.
Apple: "Eh, it's coming."
Customers: "We're getting tired of waiting!".
Then Apple released the all new WHITE iPHONE 4!
Apple "Check this out, it's sexy."
Customers: "I already have a black iPhone 4 - but I NEED A WHITE ONE!"
Then Apple realized they can release the same product in a different color and make a ton more money on an old idea.

At an Apple board meeting.
"So Steve, you know how we do that thing where we release a new and revolutionary product each year?"
Steve: "Yes?"
"Well all these dummies care about is COLOR! We can release the same iPod Touch from last year - but just make it white and they'll go NUTS!"
Steve: "$$$".

I was bored.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 3.2; en-us; Xoom Build/HTJ85B) AppleWebKit/534.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/534.13)

Looking forward to the internal upgrades more than anything myself but colour options will be cool.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Only makes sense that they would this. I'm all for unifying the design of the line of products.

Strange then that the complete product line has just had white removed (except for edu).

Maybe there will be a unibody aluminium Touch instead :)

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
the no spec update doesn't surprise me...if they are truly having heat issues with the A5 in the iPhone, there's no way they can put it in an iPod touch yet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.