Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:22 PM   #201
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4c View Post
So, I just bought a 1.86ghz Intel core duo iMac. If I upgrade the ram to 2gb and the cpu to a t7600 Intel processor will I be able to run Lion without a problem? or will I need to do something special? I am talking about the final release not the early betas.

And is it at all possible to run the Golden master on my Current specs on the iMac of 1.86ghz Intel core duo, 1.5gb of ram, and 128mb radeon x1600?

Thanks
Lion will not work on a Core Duo Mac. It requires a 64-bit CPU. Even with the a CPU upgrade, your iMac will not boot Lion without some as yet undeveloped hacks.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:04 AM   #202
Ollie4c
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Lion will not work on a Core Duo Mac. It requires a 64-bit CPU. Even with the a CPU upgrade, your iMac will not boot Lion without some as yet undeveloped hacks.
Since Lion is rumored to be coming out on Wednesday I'd assume quite a few people would want to run it on their socketed iMac or Mac mini upgraded cpu. Could you message me if you find out some way to get it running with the cpu upgrade i mentioned before?

And also would the T7600 fit in my iMac and run right away or would I need to do something special?

Thanks
Ollie4c is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:35 AM   #203
gvollant
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draeconis View Post
It's not deemed to be a user-serviceable part, and as a consequence you're voiding your warranty by replacing it. Sucks, but that's how these things work.
Warranty is already void because these computer are old !
gvollant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:33 AM   #204
bige12
macrumors regular

It will probally not work since we have the old intel Core Duo Macbooks, the Mac App Store won't let us download lion try it.
bige12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:52 AM   #205
shoebobs
macrumors regular

Quote:
So, I just bought a 1.86ghz Intel core duo iMac. If I upgrade the ram to 2gb and the cpu to a t7600 Intel processor will I be able to run Lion without a problem? or will I need to do something special? I am talking about the final release not the early betas.

And is it at all possible to run the Golden master on my Current specs on the iMac of 1.86ghz Intel core duo, 1.5gb of ram, and 128mb radeon x1600?

Thanks
I had a similarly spec'd Mini and I upgraded it with I think a T7300 Core 2 Duo and 2GB ram a while back. The app store won't let me download Lion with that machine (says it's not compatible, but it's probably just looking at the model number, not actual hardware), but I am able to download it on my 2011 MBP. When I get home from work (late) I am going to make a bootable version of the download and follow the steps to modify the plist settings shown in this thread. I'll let you know if the install then works on my Mini.
shoebobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:55 AM   #206
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebobs View Post
I had a similarly spec'd Mini and I upgraded it with I think a T7300 Core 2 Duo and 2GB ram a while back. The app store won't let me download Lion with that machine, but I am able to download it on my 2011 MBP. When I get home from work (late) I am going to make a bootable version of the download and follow the steps to modify the plist settings shown in this thread. I'll let you know if the install then works on my Mini.
The plist hack no longer works. It only worked on the first developer preview. Now one must patch multiple files. The hardest of which are the kernel and boot.efi.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:19 PM   #207
RaNdOm
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to RaNdOm
Confirm?

Can someone confirm that the plist hack no longer works? This is the only place that I've seen it stated that Core Duo's no longer can install Lion.
RaNdOm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:54 PM   #208
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaNdOm View Post
Can someone confirm that the plist hack no longer works? This is the only place that I've seen it stated that Core Duo's no longer can install Lion.
It has been confirmed by many long since the release of the 2nd developer preview.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:07 AM   #209
onuryasar
macrumors newbie

it's stupid. my core duo desktop at the office works much more faster than my core 2 duo macbook, though i can't upgrade it to lion. plan rip-off.
onuryasar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:29 AM   #210
niewiesznic
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to niewiesznic Send a message via Skype™ to niewiesznic
Is there another solution to instal Lion on upgraded to coe2duo mac mini ?
niewiesznic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:10 AM   #211
mcdermd
macrumors regular

I haven't put too much effort into it but I think it's checking for 32bit EFI in the installer. The plist hack still works to get the install image to boot but the actual installer app is checking.

I was lazy and got around it by booting my Core 2 Duo-upgraded Core Solo mini into target disk mode, then installing Lion onto it's hard drive from an early 2008 Core 2 Duo Macbook connected with firewire. After the install and a quick modification of the PlatformSupport.plist, Lion has been running fine on the mini (the same as the later developer builds did).
Old Jul 21, 2011, 05:14 AM   #212
BradClarke
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niewiesznic View Post
Is there another solution to instal Lion on upgraded to coe2duo mac mini ?
Yes I just installed it on My Mac Mini that was upgraded to a Core 2 Duo. My Mac mini was originally a Core Solo 1.5 Ghz, bought a new 2.0 Ghz Intel C2D processor on ebay and upgraded it.

Here is how todo it:
http://vureyosx.blogspot.com/2011/07...on-107-on.html

here the proof, attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 3.08.29 AM.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	294893  
BradClarke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:04 AM   #213
niewiesznic
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to niewiesznic Send a message via Skype™ to niewiesznic
Can I add this Educational Files to USB Bootable AppStore OSX Lion version ?
Or it does work only with GM version ?
I would like to be able to use Software Update, and I would like to use the OS I have bought.
niewiesznic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:34 AM   #214
4JNA
macrumors 68000

worked for me...

well, that was easy! installed and working well on a mac mini 1,1 upgraded with a T7200, 2gb ram, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

what i did...

1. bought and downloaded the retail 10.7 from the app store (11A511)

2. saved the image to an 8gb usb drive

3. installed 10.7 on an known supported device (MBP 2,2) on an external drive.

4. modified the installed 10.7 on the external drive by removing /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

5. took the external drive and booted the mini, used superduper to image the internal drive, and it works! apps all work, app store, software update, everything. even with the sucky 950 all the animations and eye candy work, no noticeable lag.

best of luck to all the 1,1 upgraders!

Last edited by 4JNA; Jul 21, 2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added info.
4JNA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:43 PM   #215
Miti96
macrumors newbie

Any chance there'll be a possibility to let Lion run on non-supported hardware?

Last edited by Miti96; Jul 21, 2011 at 01:51 PM.
Miti96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:58 PM   #216
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdermd View Post
I haven't put too much effort into it but I think it's checking for 32bit EFI in the installer. The plist hack still works to get the install image to boot but the actual installer app is checking.

The 32-bit EFI is not the problem. The first two generations of Mac Pro's have 64-bit CPUs and 32-bit EFI, yet they run Lion without a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4JNA View Post
well, that was easy! installed and working well on a mac mini 1,1 upgraded with a T7200, 2gb ram, etc.

what i did...

4. modified the installed 10.7 on the external drive by removing /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

5. took the external drive and booted the mini, used superduper to image the internal drive, and it works! apps all work, app store, software update, everything. even with the sucky 950 all the animations and eye candy work, no noticeable lag.

I cannot get this to work. The plist hack hasn't worked since the first developer preview.

Last edited by Intell; Jul 21, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:10 AM   #217
revillug
macrumors newbie

Quote:
The 32-bit EFI is not the problem. The first two generations of Mac Pro's have 64-bit CPUs and 32-bit EFI, yet they run Lion without a problem.

I cannot get this to work. The plist hack hasn't worked since the first developer preview.
So you followed what 4JNA said? and it didnt work?
It should work, if you can find the supported.plist on the external hd

i will try it soon
revillug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:00 AM   #218
watons
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4JNA View Post

what i did...

but the question is I have no supported device... can u upload the external drive (installed) image for sharing??
watons is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:22 AM   #219
revillug
macrumors newbie

works

Thanks 4JNA it worked like a charm!

if anyone else is struggling just follow 4JNA's mini guide!

revillug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 05:47 PM   #220
Ollie4c
macrumors newbie

Is there a way I can download a modified backup from 4JNA's guide? I don't have a mac that can run lion natively nor do I have access to one. So is their a way I can do it without a core 2 duo and up mac around. Maybe a modified backup that someone could send to me or something like that?

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:01 PM   #221
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Is there a way I can download a modified backup from 4JNA's guide? I don't have a mac that can run lion natively nor do I have access to one. So is their a way I can do it without a core 2 duo and up mac around. Maybe a modified backup that someone could send to me or something like that?

Thanks
No, doing so is illegal.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:04 PM   #222
SideStepSociety
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Thanks
Creating a Lion virtual machine and cloning the virtual drive worked for me.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:24 PM   #223
Ollie4c
macrumors newbie

Quote:
No, doing so is illegal.
I have no problem buying it from the app store, but it won't let me. I'll buy an extra copy of Snow Leopard to make up for the 29.99 I am not giving to Apple for Lion. Will that work for you?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:29 PM   #224
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
I have no problem buying it from the app store, but it won't let me. I'll buy an extra copy of Snow Leopard to make up for the 29.99 I am not giving to Apple for Lion. Will that work for you?
The question isn't about me. Its about Apple's lawyers. In the event they sue you, that will not pass. In addition, piracy is not allowed to be discussed on Macrumors.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:36 PM   #225
Ollie4c
macrumors newbie

Quote:
The question isn't about me. Its about Apple's lawyers. In the event they sue you, that will not pass. In addition, piracy is not allowed to be discussed on Macrumors.
How do you suggest I go about getting it legally if apple won't allow me to download it?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion