Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, T-Mobile USA revealed that it had over one million iPhones running on its network, despite not being officially sanctioned by Apple and the handsets not being able to take advantage of 3G data speeds due to differences in the carrier's network standard compared to other GSM networks. T-Mobile customers had also needed to trim down their T-Mobile SIM cards to fit into the iPhone's micro-SIM slot, as the carrier had not yet begun offering the smaller cards.

tmobile_usa_microsim.jpg

As noted by App Advice late yesterday, T-Mobile USA has now rolled out micro-SIMs and has specifically targeted iPhone owners on its page promoting the new cards.
Already have a GSM phone or iPhone that you need to activate--or have an unlocked GSM phone you want to use on the T-Mobile network? Just get a Micro SIM card and choose a plan. Slip the ready-to-use Micro SIM Card into your phone and you're ready to go.
T-Mobile is offering the new micro-SIM free of charge with a two-year contract when purchased via the carrier's website.

T-Mobile USA has been rumored for some time to be preparing to offer the iPhone, although AT&T is currently in the process of trying to acquire the carrier. That potential acquisition has received some opposition, however, and regulatory authorities are still examining the proposed deal. But even with an acquisition, AT&T has said that T-Mobile and AT&T will operate somewhat independently for several years as the combined carrier works to integrate its systems, meaning that an iPhone specific to T-Mobile is likely still of interest.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA Begins Offering Micro-SIMs, Targets iPhone Owners

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
personally i am waiting and hoping that att doesnt take them over, then we can talk about switching

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I surely hope nobody signs up for a two year contract for a SIM card.

My thoughts exactly when I saw that (2 year contract) next to free price.

That has to be of the worst deals ever. I thought this would be prepaid.

malcolmffc

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007

Why not? It's very common here in the UK - the monthly cost of the contract is very cheap as there's no phone to subsidise - usually less than half the price of a subsidised contract.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009

I also saw that and thought that was really weird. A custom tool to cut a Micro SIM out of a mini runs about three bucks, and you can get an extra phone for the 2 year contract that will come with the SIM card.

CorporateFelon

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Also based upon feedback on TMobiles site, people are saying these micro sim cards are only available to new customers. You can't currently swap your normal sim card for one of these.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
2 year contract for a sim card? No way...while I love T-Mobile, I will not sign a 2 year contract for just a SIM Card, that's outrageous.

If you want me to agree to a 2 year contract, you better be giving me something of value.....it should be free phone AND lower monthly prices (at least a 50% discount off the regular price) these days and the free phone needs to be unlocked, otherwise buy a phone off ebay.

CorporateFelon

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Boston, MA
2 year contract for a sim card? No way...while I love T-Mobile, I will not sign a 2 year contract for just a SIM Card, that's outrageous.

If you want me to agree to a 2 year contract, you better be giving me something of value.....it should be free phone AND lower monthly prices (at least a 50% discount off the regular price) these days and the free phone needs to be unlocked, otherwise buy a phone off ebay.

That has always been one of my gripes with TMobile. Anything you do they want you to re-up your contract. Getting a new phone I can understand the new 2 year commitment, but if I want to adjust my plan that's another 2 years. I never understood it.

I finally switched over to a non contract plan when they were available.

objc

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
I'm sure if you called them you could get the SIM without a contract. They would be stupid to turn down the customers. It's just that any cell carrier would rather you be under contract to reduce churn.

T-Mobile is a value player so of course they're cheaper than the big two. Usually by about $20 per month; $480 over two years. The best values these days are the flexpay and prepaid plans which offer even better value, although they are starting to raise prices for things like messages on the prepaid.

The big reason AT$T wants to acquire TMO is because without them in the game, AT$T and Veri$on will be able to raise prices in lockstep without anyone making them look bad. After this, you can expect V$ to take over Sprint... and then you have a duopoly.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I have an Android (Samsung Vibrant) on TMO and would love to get rid of the POS and get an iPhone.

What would be my best bet? Pick up an iPhone 4 off of Craig's list and be happy with Edge? And then get a sim cutter?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
~snip~

The big reason AT$T wants to acquire TMO is because without them in the game, AT$T and Veri$on will be able to raise prices in lockstep without anyone making them look bad. After this, you can expect V$ to take over Sprint... and then you have a duopoly.

Coming soon: the One Big Store state of America.

Last edited:

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
As much as I love my iPhone...

I just can't imagine using it on EDGE only...

Why not sign a two-year contract and get a phone that will actually work on T-Mo's HS network?

Unless you just didn't ever really use cellular data...

macinnv

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If you have your own phone, such as the iPhone, T-Mobile offers contracts without the subsidised price of a phone for cheap.

As for the iPhone coming to T-Mobile, hold your breath. T-Mobile clientele isnt quite what Apple is looking for.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
This all but confirms that iPhone 5 will support T-Mobile's 3G.

Not really. It just shows they plan to offer devices with micro SIM and/or want to cater to those who want to use devices that have microSIM on T-mobile's network.

Also, the verzion iphone already supports T-mobile's 3G. That part of the radio is just disabled and it has no SIM for GSM use anyway.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Why not? It's very common here in the UK - the monthly cost of the contract is very cheap as there's no phone to subsidise - usually less than half the price of a subsidised contract.
We pay the same rates, subsidized or not.

There are great reasons to live in the US of A, but our wireless companies certainly aren't one of them. ;)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
T-Mobile is just giving a free SIM with a two year contract?! Really??
I'd never sign a 2 year contract for ... *gasp* .. a SIM card

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006

Because in America, for the most part, monthly tariffs have been identical, or virtually so, for subsidized contracts as they have been for unsubsidized contracts.

Apparently, though, T-Mobile USA has also recently announced that they're going to start offering rather steep discounts on plans attached to outright customer-owned phones -- and hopefully, also for plans attached to phones which used to be subsidized, but whose subsidy period has run out. This is a huge departure from the way things have traditionally been done in the post-paid market in the USA, and it may take time for consumers' attitudes to adapt to this new practice.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.