Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

InsanelyGreatMac posts the above video showing the new iOS 5 Beta 4 over the air (OTA) updating in action. As we noted the OTA update also saves bandwidth as it only sends changes rather than the entire OS image.

• @MuscleNerd reports that OTA update won't work on Jailbroken devices.

• We reported that iPhones must have 50% charge or be plugged into a power source to download the OTA update, but @johnheimkes reports this requirement is not enforced on the iPad which allowed the update to occur with only 12% charge.

badge.jpg

• Settings app displays a badge when an over the air update is available.

doc.jpg

• Apple has added a "Documents and Data" toggle for iCloud which allows you to turn on/off the ability for apps to save data and documents to the iCloud. There is also a way to chose whether these updates occur over 3G or only over Wi-Fi. This allows Apps to save their own data and user data to the iCloud so that it is available across devices, and backed up into the cloud.

• The OTA update downloads over Wi-Fi or 3G connections.

Article Link: iOS 5 Over-the-Air Update Video, Documents on iCloud, and Other Notes

Last edited by a moderator:

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
The download for me went swimmingly, then at the "less than a minute" mark, the download froze. So I exited Settings.app and went back, but it stopped downloading. So in hopes of redoing the download, I rebooted and still there's no way to redownload the update from ground up.
Any ideas for updating OTA? I really wanna test it out, so I'm purposefully avoiding the IPSW as much as possible.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
The download for me went swimmingly, then at the "less than a minute" mark, the download froze. So I exited Settings.app and went back, but it stopped downloading. So in hopes of redoing the download, I rebooted and still there's no way to redownload the update from ground up.
Any ideas for updating OTA? I really wanna test it out, so I'm purposefully avoiding the IPSW as much as possible.

For me I thought it froze on my iPad but I just left it and then when I came back about 10 minutes later it was just finishing up.

skyhawkmatthew

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
The download appeared to stall at "< 1 minute remaining", but after about 10 minutes it slowly completed the download and applied the update fine.

Re: Battery requirement: My iPhone 4 was on ~40% when I did the update, it downloaded and installed fine.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
It probably works on the iPad at 12% because the iPad has much longer battery doesn't it? Like the iPad only warns you at 10% whereas the iPhone warns you at 20% and 10%.

JonoX

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
The over the air updates are very slick and a marked improvement for sure..Too bad Apple blocked OTA updates for those jailbroken...haha.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I found it funny when the time lapsed and he mentioned that it was an hour vs 4 minutes

rtkane

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
My iPad forced me to plug-in with 24%, so your mileage may vary being able to update without A/C power.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I think it was about a year ago that the US carriers said OTA Apple updates would not count against bandwidth. I would be curious if there is a way to see if that is true in practice on these tests.

It makes business sense to do that. You don't want to discourage OS and security updates for any reason by any user.

Rocketman

$tevejob$

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Earth
is there not going to e a beta 4 itunes for windows?

how do you get wifi sync to work with windows?

SuperMacMan

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
"<1 Minute Remaining"

I, too, got the "<1 minute remaining" message and the "stuck" progress bar. I stuck with it, left Settings open, and went to do some other stuff. Came back after 20 minutes and it still said "<1 min", but the progress bar had moved. A minute later, it popped up a message saying that it was done & it would reboot in 5 seconds.

Basically, stick with it. It may appear stuck or broken, but it will work - eventually!

Aside from that, iOS 5 now feels more like iOS 4.3.4, but with all the new features. It's faster, more responsive, MUCH less buggy, Safari no longer crashes, and apps don't randomly crash anymore. It's really good, now :)

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I, too, got the "<1 minute remaining" message and the "stuck" progress bar. I stuck with it, left Settings open, and went to do some other stuff. Came back after 20 minutes and it still said "<1 min", but the progress bar had moved. A minute later, it popped up a message saying that it was done & it would reboot in 5 seconds.

Basically, stick with it. It may appear stuck or broken, but it will work - eventually!

Aside from that, iOS 5 now feels more like iOS 4.3.4, but with all the new features. It's faster, more responsive, MUCH less buggy, Safari no longer crashes, and apps don't randomly crash anymore. It's really good, now :)

Yes, I had dinner and let the phone sit for 30 extra minutes. Finished before I even noticed it!

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Feels like a slap in the face for jailbreakers...
That really sucks.

So now we should expect Apple to go out of there way to make things work for jail breakers? Maybe we should expect them to apply a delta update to something when they have no way of verifying what is actually there...

Kutjara

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011

I had the same problem and messed around trying to get it to work for an hour, doing all the usual soft and hard resets. Finally, I gave up and went the old tethered iTunes route. A bit disappointing.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
My iPad and iPhone both stopped me for being bellow 50% battery. My iPad in particular was at 32% and I expected it to work but it popped up the 50% warning and stopped me.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
If any of you had any patience at all, you could have waited, and the OTA update would have eventually finished, even though it was going "slow".

I'm more concerned with beta 4's syncing with iTunes. Likes to reinstall installed apps during a sync?

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
If any of you had any patience at all, you could have waited, and the OTA update would have eventually finished, even though it was going "slow".

I'm more concerned with beta 4's syncing with iTunes. Likes to reinstall installed apps during a sync?

I wasn't impatient. I waited 10 minutes after it said "less than 1 minute."

No reinstallation of apps or songs. Just calendars, mail, everything in the "Info" section of iTunes and photos had to be re-synced for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.