Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
My MacBook Pro has gone from 34 seconds from pressing the power button to the login screen, to 58 seconds in Lion.

Anyone else experience slow boot up time?

Running a 2007 MacBook Pro with a 500GB WD 5200RPM drive if someone wants to compare.

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
My MacBook Pro has gone from 34 seconds from pressing the power button to the login screen, to 58 seconds in Lion.

Anyone else experience slow boot up time?

Running a 2007 MacBook Pro with a 500GB WD 5200RPM drive if someone wants to compare.

I have a 2007 iMac and it seems to be about 9 seconds slower than Snow Leopard. I have a 320 GB WD 7200 RPM? Drive, and a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo. I just did a clean install.

Mightee

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2004
My iMac (mid 2011) is notably slower to boot as well, although I haven't timed it. I didn't do a clean install but my system is generally cruft-free at all times. Any ideas?

DeChrii

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
mines a lot slower too in boot up and shutdown. Also when i turn off the resume option in system preference, it still opens up all my apps i had open when my computer turns on from a shutdown. Anyone know how to avoid this without closing every app before shut down?

jordandmb

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
I have noticed a difference in boot up ever since lion, I have a 2011 MBP high end 13", with 8gb or ram

A01

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011
I have noticed extremely significant difference in boot and shutdown times.

My shutdown time used to be nearly non existent. My Macbook Pro used to be completely off barely a second after pressing shutdown. It now takes around 15 seconds.

Start up time has roughly doubled, though I haven't timed it exactly. Must be almost a minute now.

I've disabled Resume, assuming that would have been the problem. But clearly, it wasn't.

This is quite annoying. Aside from this, I'm quite liking Lion. Alot of things took some getting used to, but I can't tolerate this change in startup and shutdown times. If I can't get it back to approx the speed it used to be, I'll have to go back to Snow Leopard. :(

theloon

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
Crazy long Boot times also and fresh install

I have 3 macs , 2005 macbook, 2010 mini, end of 2010 mbp. All top cpu and max memory for the model.

All boot slower running Lion as opposed to SL.

:(

Yep, they all work faster once up and running. It's not a defrag thing, as I have tried that with Drive Genius, booting form a flash drive with Lion it.

Not the end of the world as I never reboot them, but most annoying if I have to.

Syslog all looks normal.

Is Apple expecting SSD and so has a boat load of preloading to do hoping we will not notice?

Needs fixing

sleeplessdonkey

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
slow apple lion

cant believe how slow my pro is now, it feels like having windows xp all over again. and my mail wont open.

Rhodan

macrumors member
May 9, 2007
Try repairing the permissions and clearing out the caches by doing the following:

To repair permissions
1. Open up Disk Utility
2. Select your hard drive
3. On the right hand side, select Repair Permissions.

To delete caches:
1. From the Finder's Go menu, select Go To Folder, and go to this folder: /Library
2. Delete the Caches folder.

HackDaBox

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Go to System Preferences and click on Startup Disc and click on your boot drive. Now try a restart again. If you don't have a Startup drive selected your mac will waste time at boot searching for a suitable boot drive !

HackDaBox !

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Go to System Preferences and click on Startup Disc and click on your boot drive. Now try a restart again. If you don't have a Startup drive selected your mac will waste time at boot searching for a suitable boot drive !

HackDaBox !

Does this actually work? Even with a drive not selected, boot times were more or less the same.

As for boot up times, I think that'll eventually get optimized with updates. I forget if it was Leopard or Snow Leopard where boot times were slower and an update got it back to normal.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
My MBA (late 2010) has gone from a boot time so quick that I couldn't time it to so slow it's depressing. Seriously Apple, Lion is a disappointment in so many areas, but you've really outclassed the f**kup fairy on this one! :mad:
Try repairing the permissions and clearing out the caches by doing the following:

To repair permissions
1. Open up Disk Utility
2. Select your hard drive
3. On the right hand side, select Repair Permissions.

To delete caches:
1. From the Finder's Go menu, select Go To Folder, and go to this folder: /Library
2. Delete the Caches folder.
No difference.

HackDaBox !
I only have one drive (system SSD), but tried this anyway...
Does this actually work?
...nope! :(

macinhand

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Cheshire, UK
I don't usually shut down my Mac only when i have done a major update just to reset things! so the boot time doesn't bother me that much.

After upgrading to Lion I also have noticed the slow boot times but after a couple of reboots i have found mine is back up to speed!

One thing i did notice each time i rebooted was that spotlight was indexing which is indicated by a small dot in the magnifying glass on your task bar! maybe this is compounding the slow boot as well? :)

One thing i did notice is that you can re open all windows when you log back in as well. is that new? which would slow things down as well.

macinhand

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Cheshire, UK
mines a lot slower too in boot up and shutdown. Also when i turn off the resume option in system preference, it still opens up all my apps i had open when my computer turns on from a shutdown. Anyone know how to avoid this without closing every app before shut down?

When you shut down! uncheck the tick box to reopen windows when logging back in :)

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I had the same but after remove the boot and core storage cache files, booting was very fast.

BTW you can remove those cache files with itweax.

ranjitb

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah there i a major slowdown even on my 13" MBA 2010 model which has a SSD and with SL it was super fast but with Lion I see the slow down in startup time, the drastic thing is the shutdown time earlier it was almost instant..... now a good 4-5 seconds...... was wondering if some hardware issue happened to my MBA!

jcoffey784

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010
I must be VERY lucky then, as Lion boots almost 3 times faster than SL. With SL, i would have the spinning gear icon for 12-13 turns, overall boot time from the chime was 30-40 seconds. With lion, i have the spinning gear for usually 1/4 of a turn, sometimes a full turn, overall boot in about 10-15 seconds! This is on a macbook 6,1 2.26 C2D, 8GB RAM, owc 120GB ssd. Before I installed, i booted into my clone (backup) on my 5400 rpm drive, and erased free space on the ssd on a blank partition (dont know if that actually helped, but have heard it helps). I also repaired permissions after my second boot because my audio was VERY quiet, which turns out you have to plug headphones in for a few second to fix. Overall, I am very impressed with the lion, especially the boot time! I have found fixes for nearly everything i had a problem with (except for disabling animations, i prefer speed over a pretty transition).

edit: i forgot to mention shutdown time, because i rarely care how long it takes to shut down. it seems to me, having not really paid attention, that it shuts down in about the same time as SL for me, about 5 seconds.

Last edited:

Mr M5

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2011
My mac pro is also much slower, I have tried up dating everything, unchecking re open windows etc. Hope they fix it on .1 refresh.

HackDaBox

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
I must be VERY lucky then, as Lion boots almost 3 times faster than SL. With SL, i would have the spinning gear icon for 12-13 turns, overall boot time from the chime was 30-40 seconds. With lion, i have the spinning gear for usually 1/4 of a turn, sometimes a full turn, overall boot in about 10-15 seconds! This is on a macbook 6,1 2.26 C2D, 8GB RAM, owc 120GB ssd. Before I installed, i booted into my clone (backup) on my 5400 rpm drive, and erased free space on the ssd on a blank partition (dont know if that actually helped, but have heard it helps). I also repaired permissions after my second boot because my audio was VERY quiet, which turns out you have to plug headphones in for a few second to fix. Overall, I am very impressed with the lion, especially the boot time! I have found fixes for nearly everything i had a problem with (except for disabling animations, i prefer speed over a pretty transition).

edit: i forgot to mention shutdown time, because i rarely care how long it takes to shut down. it seems to me, having not really paid attention, that it shuts down in about the same time as SL for me, about 5 seconds.

Curious... Did you do an upgrade or clean install ? if an upgrade did you do any housekeeping beforehand ?

Kuray

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2010
MacBook Pro 2011 - 2.0 GHz Quad i7 SB - 8 GB 1333 RAM - Radeon HD6490M - 120 GB 6G SATA3 SSD - 500 GB HDD - Thunderbolt -

120 GB 6G SATA III OWC Electra SSD boots in 16 second (Time started at the same time pushing button)

MrRoyksopp

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
My MBP 2011 went from like 30 seconds booting time to around one minute..
a little disappointing in my opinion.

- Other than that, I love Lion and it's features.

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
I am facing the same problem. Much slower boot time. It's annoying me so much I must say

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.