Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TNTN

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
And I'm sure it'll join Voice Control as one of my never-used features.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
If they don't give it a dedicated separate button for this feature I'll be bummed out.

The home button is always struggling to figure out if I presses Once, twice, three times for accessibility...Or a long pause for the voice control (To Long IMO )

I sometimes feel like that little home button is too weak and have to wonder if they will ever upgrade it.

All I really want for this feature is a separate button halve way down the side with the volume buttons. It would be voice control from the springboard and a function button for free use by app developers in games and ...well whatever they want it for.

I don't see how it would hamper the look of the phone as that side already has buttons and the kind of metal button I imagine would look almost the same but longer to differentiate it from the volume buttons.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Oops, two separate efforts that apple is merging.

I have used numerous versions of Dragon and found them all unreliable and difficult to train. If this is anything like that, id rather text mark and see if he wants to go and can grab some tickets.

While I certainly don't question your experience - here's one thumbs-up for Dragon.

I have several Dragon apps on my phone, and Dragon Dictate never ceases to amaze me at it's ability to spell people's names correctly. Yes, there are errors - but very few.

Seems to me Nuance is getting better and better - to a really amazing degree of accuracy. :)

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Siri has more potential

I think this technology could be much (much) bigger than improved voice dial.

It's not about understanding speech, as much as understanding the user.

Having a personal expert between you and the internet could change the way we use the internet. Google attempts to mine information about users to make search results more relevant. And then make its advertising more relevant. But Google does not know much very about us.

A personal assistant does not have this problem. It starts with knowing a lot about you.

If Apple develops this technology properly, it could change the search business. (And we'd never see an advertisment) - I bet Google will be watching closely.

C.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I think this technology could be much (much) bigger than improved voice dial.

It's not about understanding speech, as much as understanding the user.

Having a personal expert between you and the internet could change the way we use the internet. Google attempts to mine information about users to make search results more relevant. And then make its advertising more relevant. But Google does not know much very about us.

Oh, yes they do! Google has been datamining you for years.

A personal assistant does not have this problem. It starts with knowing a lot about you.

...As has Apple.

If Apple develops this technology properly, it could change the search business. (And we'd never see an advertisment) - I bet Google will be watching closely.

Right. I'm sure Apple would never use your profile info to send you targeted advertisments. ;)

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
Siri is great!

Say, "I need a drink" and it will return a list of the closest bars. LOL

This is why Applle bought them, for their A.I.

Last edited:

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
"Assistant, call ERICK SCHMIDT and tell him to 'Suck it - sent from my iPhone'..."

"Breeep-woop... Aknowledged!"

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
the half a dozen times I've tried yelling into my phone to play a specific artist.. It never once got it right. Good enough experience to never use it again.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
Voice control always seems to work when I'm trying to call a someone, which is nice while driving or walking. But, asking it to play a song never works. It'd be awesome if this Assistant thing really works out. In a few years we might be able to talk to our computers... like in Star Trek :p

vertigo235

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I want to be able to hold my home button and say.

Text Amanda I'm on my way

Boom txt is sent.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I think we can all agree that (if this rumor is true, and I can't see any reason why not) this will be a feature exclusively for the iPhone 5. Never ever will they enable this for the current models.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

brunning

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2010
Android voice nav and commands aside, the feature my Android buddies have that I'm most jealous of, is the 'voice' button on the keyboard that allows any app to take voice input.

With iOS you can speak into Dragon and then text/facebook/tweet/email from there, but I'd love to remove that intermediary step and do it right from SMS/Mail/Twitter/FB.

cadillac1234

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Hope it's a big improvement on the current voice recognition...

Me: Play song by [band name].

Phone: Dialing [ex-girlfriend's name].

...not helpful while driving!

'Call Wife on Mobile'

'Calling Best Western Hotel Dublin Ireland'

:eek:

Why can't it ask for confirmations before dialing? The Android phone I had from my old job did the same thing

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I'll wait and see. I did try dragon and found it to be probably the best voice to text application I've experienced. But most voice command systems I've seen you really have to be careful how you talk to have it make sense.

So I'll wait and see but could be cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.