Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjones521

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
When I try to install lion and I get to the screen where I chose my hard drive it says my HD is locked and I'm not allowed to install.

It takes me to Disk Utility where I have the options to reinstall Lion but I can't bc my disk is locked. I also get time machine as an option.

What should I do?? How can i install Lion without losing all of my info?

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
You have to first run all the software updates from Apple in a Snow Leopard install to be able to install Lion. Have you done that?
Do a time machine back up before doing the installation, and then you will be able to install Lion on the Disk that you want.

bjones521

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
You have to first run all the software updates from Apple in a Snow Leopard install to be able to install Lion. Have you done that?
Do a time machine back up before doing the installation, and then you will be able to install Lion on the Disk that you want.

How can i get back to snow leopard without losing everything?

cloud1494

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
There's an option in the apple menu for choosing which disk you want to boot from. Choose your Macintosh HD option.

Tgantt

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
Disk Locked

I am trying to reinstall Lion with USB Drive because of Boot file curruption. I get Disk locked. How can I fix this. I think I have the right Lion on the USB. I follow the direction on how to creat the drive. Please help and feel free to put it in dumbie terms.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
If you have Lion already installed, the you have to boot from the recovery partition.
In System Preferences choose the recovery partition as your Start Up Disk.
Be sure that you are using your Administrator user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.