Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
I have a MBP13 so I keep the dock hidden for screen space reasons. So, when in full screen mode for apps (like Safari) sometimes the dock would pop up, others times it wouldn't.

To get the dock to pop up when in a full screen app use one finger to swipe the mouse arrow to the bottom of the screen like you normally do then... simply do it again.

I just figured it out... kind of a "duh" moment. :) At first I thought it was a bug but it's by design so one can use the mouse arrow at the bottom without having the dock get in the way.

poocat

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
Hong Kong
Thank you so much!

I'd gotten it to activate a few times, but had no idea what I'd done, and so usually it wouldn't show.

Very key note that more people probably are looking for.

angusticeps

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
I keep the dock hidden on the left and use a mouse. The double movement (to the left in my case) works but it's kind of slow cause normally the first movement will have brought the mouse to the edge of the mouse pad, so I have to lift the mouse, take it to the center of the pad, and move it again.

I'm not sure whether it is intentional or not, but have noticed that an alternative way is to move the mouse to the left edge of the screen, and then move it back towards the center of the screen by 1 pixel only. That will make the dock appear.

Needless to say, I'm not very happy with either solution.

19ertim

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
I keep the dock hidden on the left and use a mouse. The double movement (to the left in my case) works but it's kind of slow cause normally the first movement will have brought the mouse to the edge of the mouse pad, so I have to lift the mouse, take it to the center of the pad, and move it again.

I'm not sure whether it is intentional or not, but have noticed that an alternative way is to move the mouse to the left edge of the screen, and then move it back towards the center of the screen by 1 pixel only. That will make the dock appear.

Needless to say, I'm not very happy with either solution.

This is the same solution I found. A few pixels. I agree totally . It is unacceptable and Bovine Scatology that it was not addressed before release.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
This is the same solution I found. A few pixels. I agree totally . It is unacceptable and Bovine Scatology that it was not addressed before release.

i always thought its intentional and a feature? like lets say u have a fullscreen app open which has settings or something right at the spot where the dock is hidden, in order to click the settings u dont want the dock to appear and cover the setting area right?

angusticeps

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
i always thought its intentional and a feature?

that's what I fear most :)

like lets say u have a fullscreen app open which has settings or something right at the spot where the dock is hidden, in order to click the settings u dont want the dock to appear and cover the setting area right?

what you say makes sense, but from my point of view this "feature" is a regression since it now takes me longer to access the dock than before.

Maybe I should just get used to launchpad instead of relying on the dock for starting applications...

smoketetsu

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
This is also a little harder to do with a mouse where you have to first drag down to the bottom then stop and drag further down... I'd rather have it pop up if you drag all the way to the bottom after a delay.

I was doing this by accident previously and didn't know how. I'm quickly getting used to how it works though.

It's also easy to use command+tab to switch between open apps which is the most important thing when you are wanting to switch away from a full screen app... I mean especially when launching an app while you are in full screen takes you back to the main desktop.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.