Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
nice. Thanks for the info. Was probably just a few cases that might have been major and the majority was just overreacting and nitpicking

df2gadgetman

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
KCRG
Very Informative! Thanks for taking the time sharing your testing results.

Your last photo had battery levels @ 6%. Did you run the battery all the way down until the MBA shuts down? Also, how long was your battery life from a full charge?

Regards,
Darren

eeptman

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
theSeb:

You did get a great i7 MBA. In my case, my 13" i7 MBA will hit 94 or 95°C when Handbreak is encoding videos.

My machine stays at 50°C when idle. I just replace the thermal compound this afternoon with AS-5. Now MBA does calm down to 42°C when idle. I am waiting to see the final result.

Samsumac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Heat and noise issues? You decide.

Thanks for your post.. As a poster pointed out in another threat , this is a forum for rumours , rather than facts.... :D:D

So the new Air will not set itself on fire and it can play a 1080p movie no problem while multitasking... I think that says it all. Thanks for your effort!! ;)

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Well something must of happened with my i7. I have Mail, Safari, iCal, iTunes (Playing music) iPhoto, Photoshop, Activity Monitor, Word and Excel running. I'm currently at 46 Celicus and 1999 rpm. :eek: Wonder what happened but this is great!! :D

eeptman

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Well something must of happened with my i7. I have Mail, Safari, iCal, iTunes (Playing music) iPhoto, Photoshop, Activity Monitor, Word and Excel running. I'm currently at 46 Celicus and 1999 rpm. :eek: Wonder what happened but this is great!! :D
Gratz! I doubt that these new MBAs might have so-called "break-in" time for their thermal compound. :confused:

Last edited:

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Gratz! I am doubt that these new MBAs might have so-called "break-in" time for their thermal compound. :confused:

Yah it's possible. At this moment I couldn't be happier. Have the Samsung Display and SSD. No dead pixels and acting like it should be. :D

nevereon

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Interesting... Makes me wonder if I've got a defective unit here :( Right now my cpu is at 58 celsius and the fans are at 2k rpm. Only got safari open with four tabs + 1password. No background apps are running. When watching an episode of house last night on safari (flash) my cpu was around 80c and my fans were blazing at 4k rpm. Had maybe 4-5 tabs open and no background stuff. Anyway you could test your heat and fans while watching fullscreen flash with sound?

FAsnakes

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
Great Post..
I just picked up an 11" i5 to update my 2010 11" ultimate..

Got it from Best Buy so, i have 15 days to decide.. .

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Interesting... Makes me wonder if I've got a defective unit here :( Right now my cpu is at 58 celsius and the fans are at 2k rpm. Only got safari open with four tabs + 1password. No background apps are running. When watching an episode of house last night on safari (flash) my cpu was around 80c and my fans were blazing at 4k rpm. Had maybe 4-5 tabs open and no background stuff. Anyway you could test your heat and fans while watching fullscreen flash with sound?

What I did was let the computer run all day. It didn't go to sleep. Maybe it just needed to index itself till it was good and ready. I'm still at 48 celsius and 2k rpm.

The temp rose all the way to 90 celsius and about 5000 rpm. I just imported 11gb with of photos into Aperture. Seems like normal activity?

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Been using my I7 all day. I finally got the temps to head up and the fan to kick up to 6K - played Anomoly: Battlezone Earth. I quit the game after a bit of playing, and the CPU temp and fan dropped within 30 secs.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
Gratz! I doubt that these new MBAs might have so-called "break-in" time for their thermal compound. :confused:

When I first got mine it was idling at around 50. It now idles at around 42. I am not sure if spotlight indexing was to blame.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
Great post. What tool are you using the update the system info on the desktop?

Thanks :). The tool is Desktop Monitor. You can get it from the MAS for less than a dollar. I've tried a couple of other tools and they all report the same info.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
theSeb:

You did get a great i7 MBA. In my case, my 13" i7 MBA will hit 94 or 95°C when Handbreak is encoding videos.

My machine stays at 50°C when idle. I just replace the thermal compound this afternoon with AS-5. Now MBA does calm down to 42°C when idle. I am waiting to see the final result.

After some time I can get it to 96 C and the fans up to 66xx whilst encoding. I've a screenshot of this in my other thread. This is normal and what I would expect. The computer does not shutdown nor does it scold my hands. As a comparison the only other Apple laptop I have is a 2009 C2D MBP. It reaches around 95 C whilst encoding and you could fry eggs on the top left corner.

Very Informative! Thanks for taking the time sharing your testing results.

Your last photo had battery levels @ 6%. Did you run the battery all the way down until the MBA shuts down? Also, how long was your battery life from a full charge?

Regards,
Darren
No. I had already done that when I first got it. It was busy downloading throughout the test so I plugged it in after it got to 5%.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
Is there a log where I can view to check to see when it was last spotlight index?
The Console app in utilities would be your best bet.

You've just cost me £130 :mad: :p :D
:D

nevereon said:
Yeah, sure. I'll give it a go later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.