Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
This is what I want to know too!

The next upgrade won't be till early 2012 at the very least. This is the best time to get the new macbook pros which are only a few months old but you get student discount and $100 iTunes Gift card and $100 rebate on a printer.

GoldMan

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
Europe
Leave Steve Jobs Alone!! :D Just kidding

Would have been great if they announced something soon. I am almost dying with waiting

Acerone

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
But before that we should be hearing about the Apple Event to introduce the new iPhone and that should be any day now.

carboncow

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
Great, maybe they can get the consumer in and out in under and hour on a weekend now!

I usually buy my toys online but made the mistake of going to the store yesterday (Saturday) to get a 2nd Apple TV. I walked over to the wall, grabbed the box and then spent the next 20 minutes standing around waiting for ONE blue shirt to help me with a check out. It's a good think my parents don't buy into Apple as my dad's head would explode if he tried to buy something in there from trying to figure out how to get out of the store!

My observations from the store:

1. Incredibly successful so more clients that workers, good for them!
2. EVERYONE in that store was a Apple virgin and asked an average of 10-20 minutes worth of questions.
3. Standing behind a blue shirt in hopes he will be come available next is not advised...because a watched pot never is left alone by the lady who doesn't know how to turn on her Mac and has to ask 200 questions...
4. If you stand in one place and try to make eye contact with very busy blue shirts NOBODY will look at you. They wiz past you as they go to the back room to get some toy in a box for the client...if you follow them and the toy to the location they are working in hopes they are done with the customer someone facing them will win for "next in line"...not you.

As you can see I'm bitter from the experience as the last couple of visits to the Apple store have been like this. There should be a counter for checking out because some of us are "that guy" who just know what they wants and just wants to get the fu(k out.

I'll bet all retail stores want this problem, it's a great one to have...but there is improvement needed in the weekend store experience.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Obviously an indication that a new TB equiped MP is on the way! :D Load 'em in the truck b/c they are cheaper by the dozen.

There should be a counter for checking out because some of us are "that guy" who just know what they wants and just wants to get the fu(k out.

Probably. But until that time, "that guy," (I include myself in that group), should know when and when not to go into an Apple store. Going to an Apple store on a weekend or holiday is a suicide mission. Better to just order @ Amazon or go to MicroCenter (or similar store). It's why I have Prime. I can order online, have it next day and no war wounds from going into the Apple Store.

Dublinstiofán

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2006
Dublin
Personally i think its a disgrace that its been this long since a release. 395 days today since
the iPhone 4.

Releasing a new phone each year was already too long between updates. Were not talking
about a new computer here. Its not as complex as that. Mostly, we get a new iOS, a few
minor hardware updates and on occasion a new case design. It could be done in three months
if required. I mean it couldn't have taken Apple one year to upgrade the 3G to the 3GS which
were effectively exactly the same with some internal tweaks. Its all intentional, the 3GS was
probably ready and tested soon after the 3G was released yet it was let run for a year to
maximise profits. I can understand that. Apple are one of the most profitable companies in
the world. But its at the stage now that user satisfaction is being compromised to maximise
profits.

Theres only one Mobile Phone manufacturer that could get away with it! Lucky for Apple,
its them.

I cant find exact numbers but i'd say Nokia released at least 40 handsets last year without
breaking a sweat. They're cheap (Cheapest is 8% of the total iPhone 4 cost and most expensive
one is still €200 cheaper than the best iPhone),come with two years warranty as standard,
are usually aesthetically pleasing enough, there is always a new one around when its time
to upgrade and best of all (unlike the iPhone 4) you could have a clear conversation on it
no matter what way you held it. All other mobile manufactures manage to give us 3 or 4
new ones a year with no problems too.

I say, firstly if Apple give us an iPhone 4S after one year and two months of waiting i'm
certainly not buying it. It doesn't take one year and two months to put an 8MP camera
and and A5 chip in an iPhone 4.

If they don't give me the 64GB storage i've needed for years, i'm not buying it.

If i even hear the word 'Antennagate' mentioned at all i'm not buying it.

I encourage you all to follow suite. If it doesn't meet your needs. Keep your iPhone 4,
3GS,3G or 2G until they make a phone which has exactly what you need.

We are the customer, and its about time Apple listened to us and started building phones
that we want, phones that meet our needs. Not prescribing beautiful pieces of crap that
need to be sent for Apple service 4 times a year (in my case).

There was a time not so long ago that when you bought an Apple product you bought it
because you didn't mind paying extra with the peace of mind that the product was
solid and would last for years once carefully maintained. That time, looks to be disappearing
fast, and let me assure you i'll be the first to go with it.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Personally i think its a disgrace that its been this long since a release. 395 days today since
the iPhone 4.

Releasing a new phone each year was already too long between updates. Were not talking
about a new computer here. Its not as complex as that. Mostly, we get a new iOS, a few
minor hardware updates and on occasion a new case design. It could be done in three months
if required. I mean it couldn't have taken Apple one year to upgrade the 3G to the 3GS which
were effectively exactly the same with some internal tweaks. Its all intentional, the 3GS was
probably ready and tested soon after the 3G was released yet it was let run for a year to
maximise profits. I can understand that. Apple are one of the most profitable companies in
the world. But its at the stage now that user satisfaction is being compromised to maximise
profits.

Theres only one Mobile Phone manufacturer that could get away with it! Lucky for Apple,
its them.

I cant find exact numbers but i'd say Nokia released at least 40 handsets last year without
breaking a sweat. They're cheap (Cheapest is 8% of the total iPhone 4 cost and most expensive
one is still €200 cheaper than the best iPhone),come with two years warranty as standard,
are usually aesthetically pleasing enough, there is always a new one around when its time
to upgrade and best of all (unlike the iPhone 4) you could have a clear conversation on it
no matter what way you held it. All other mobile manufactures manage to give us 3 or 4

I say, firstly if Apple give us an iPhone 4S after one year and two months of waiting i'm
certainly not buying it. It doesn't take one year and two months to put an 8MP camera

If they don't give me the 64GB storage i've needed for years, i'm not buying it.

I encourage you all to follow suite. If it doesn't meet your needs. Keep your iPhone 4,

We are the customer, and its about time Apple listened to us and started building phones
that we want, phones that meet our needs. Not prescribing beautiful pieces of crap that

There was a time not so long ago that when you bought an Apple product you bought it
because you didn't mind paying extra with the peace of mind that the product was
solid and would last for years once carefully maintained. That time, looks to be disappearing

Good god get off your high horse. Apple has been making a good product, and we the consumer have been buying it. If it wasn't a good product, we wouldn't buy it. If you aren't happy with your experience, don't buy the next one. We don't care.

Dublinstiofán

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2006
Dublin
Good god get off your high horse. Apple has been making a good product, and we the consumer have been buying it. If it wasn't a good product, we wouldn't buy it. If you aren't happy with your experience, don't buy the next one. We don't care.

Thats where your dead wrong, and what i cant understand. Even though the iPhone 4 is a flawed product we all bought it anyway. And thats what i cant get my head around. Why do we pay €699 for something that didn't work properly. I'm as much to blame myself. My point is, i've learned my lesson, i won't be buying the next one unless its just right for me! I've had all previous ones and the strongest built one was the iPhone 2G.

This is a good product?

If it a good product how come i've had to return mine 4 times for service?
If its a good product how come it wont function properly without a case on it?

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
the iPhone 4.

profits.

its them.

Thats where your dead wrong, and what i cant understand. Even though the iPhone 4 is a flawed product we all bought it anyway. And thats what i cant get my head around. Why do we pay €699 for something that didn't work properly. I'm as much to blame myself. My point is, i've learned my lesson, i won't be buying the next one unless its just right for me! I've had all previous ones and the strongest built one was the iPhone 2G.

This is a good product?

If it a good product how come i've had to return mine 4 times for service?
If its a good product how come it wont function properly without a case on it?

Dude...

I think its time for you to move on to a different product if you're really that unhappy with it.

I have been known to have some valid complaints...

and.....

My name IS Mr.Gates...

But..

GET A GRIP !

Batteman87

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
South Carolina
Duh...Winning!

There will be an announcement prior to Aug. 15th. I expect it to be the updated iPod lineup, iTV3 w/ 1080 (hobby), iPad2 HD?? (still think this will be next Feb.), and one more thing.. iPhone 5 or 4G/s what ever they are going to call it. It will all launch with iOS 5 as the MBA and Mini etc. did. Expect media invites with appropriate teasers soon! :apple:

cozmot

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, DC
Even though the iPhone 4 is a flawed product we all bought it anyway.

Um, "we" didn't all buy a flawed product. I never had a problem with my antenna and there isn't a thing I don't like about my iPhone. I am one of the "we" who bought a product that exceeded our expectations. So speak for yourself.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
the iPhone 4.

(Remainder of tedious post truncated)
Well, consumers have spoken and the results are in. A record-breaking 20 million of these "old" iPhones were sold this past quarter.

Whatever you were blathering about has little connection with the reality of today's consumer. Your individual usage case is irrelevant to Apple's strategy. It's about how they address the market as a whole, not what you want.

pyro008

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
The article fails to mention that the timeframe listed doesn't fall in the Fall at all. (That was fun for me)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I cant find exact numbers but i'd say Nokia released at least 40 handsets last year without breaking a sweat. They're cheap (Cheapest is 8% of the total iPhone 4 cost and most expensive one is still €200 cheaper than the best iPhone),come with two years warranty as standard, are usually aesthetically pleasing enough, there is always a new one around when its time to upgrade and best of all (unlike the iPhone 4) you could have a clear conversation on it
no matter what way you held it. All other mobile manufactures manage to give us 3 or 4 new ones a year with no problems too.

Have you looked at Nokia lately? They may have released 40 phones, but they were 40 phones the market didn't want. Their market share is plummeting and they are making a desperate move in dropping their OS to switch to Microsoft's. It looks more like they are the company struggling to meet customer needs.

If you don't like the new iPhone, then get an Android or another phone. That's what free markets are for. As long as Apple keeps selling 20 million iPhones every quarter they'll keep cranking them out. Obviously a lot of people out there want them.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
As an owner of an early 2008 MBP this is BS.

They were just updated in February.. I wouldn't expect anything till early 2012 for a full model refresh.

Apple will come out with new MBP when they have something significant to deliver. In this regard I'm think resolution doubled screens. That would really put Lion to use.

In any event I'm just counteracting this often expressed opinion with a little reality and history. Apple will update MBP when it suits their schedule, not a schedule based on the time of year.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Well expressed and reflects my last visit to the Apple store locally.

Great, maybe they can get the consumer in and out in under and hour on a weekend now!

I usually buy my toys online but made the mistake of going to the store yesterday (Saturday) to get a 2nd Apple TV. I walked over to the wall, grabbed the box and then spent the next 20 minutes standing around waiting for ONE blue shirt to help me with a check out. It's a good think my parents don't buy into Apple as my dad's head would explode if he tried to buy something in there from trying to figure out how to get out of the store!
Yep it is a very bad experience. The stores are crowded and grabbing a "blue shirt" can be very difficult. Especially when your goal is to get in and get out quick.
My observations from the store:

1. Incredibly successful so more clients that workers, good for them!
2. EVERYONE in that store was a Apple virgin and asked an average of 10-20 minutes worth of questions.
3. Standing behind a blue shirt in hopes he will be come available next is not advised...because a watched pot never is left alone by the lady who doesn't know how to turn on her Mac and has to ask 200 questions...
4. If you stand in one place and try to make eye contact with very busy blue shirts NOBODY will look at you. They wiz past you as they go to the back room to get some toy in a box for the client...if you follow them and the toy to the location they are working in hopes they are done with the customer someone facing them will win for "next in line"...not you.
Sadly what I also noticed is that many of the store employees don't know what they are talking about. This leads to extended circular conversations that go on and on.
As you can see I'm bitter from the experience as the last couple of visits to the Apple store have been like this. There should be a counter for checking out because some of us are "that guy" who just know what they wants and just wants to get the fu(k out.
Exactly a line for pure checkouts when you need nothing in the way of customer service other than take my cash! My last trip involved the purchase of an adapter and a base for the "I" devices I own. I shouldn't have to try so hard to grab the attention of a "blue shirt" to pay for a $140 worth of stuff. Worst still that takes time away from these guys that could be better spent on customers that need it.
I'll bet all retail stores want this problem, it's a great one to have...but there is improvement needed in the weekend store experience.

At least locally it isn't just the weekend that is a problem. The whole shrade is questionable anytime the store is packed.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Honestly I can't see Apple waiting this long without a redesign... If it was going to be same design with faster specs I think we would have seen the release this month. Just my 2 cents.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.