Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Im torn between the ipod mini,the 20 gig ipod, and the ipod shuffle. I will mainly be using it for plane rides and while im at school. Maybe to transfer data files like papers for school or something every once in a while. My music collection is pretty big but not stellar. I have about 3000 songs i believe, maybe more. One of the most important things to me is battery life. I really like the screen on the 20 gig ipod and when i used the ipod mini the screen seemed a bit small. But i like the mini for its battery life, i think Apple claims 18 hours? So im having trouble making up my mind and any input or advice from you guys would be great. Peace ;)

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
CaptainCaveMann said:
Im torn between the ipod mini,the 20 gig ipod, and the ipod shuffle. I will mainly be using it for plane rides and while im at school. Maybe to transfer data files like papers for school or something every once in a while. My music collection is pretty big but not stellar. I have about 3000 songs i believe, maybe more. One of the most important things to me is battery life. I really like the screen on the 20 gig ipod and when i used the ipod mini the screen seemed a bit small. But i like the mini for its battery life, i think Apple claims 18 hours? So im having trouble making up my mind and any input or advice from you guys would be great. Peace ;)

The screen is only like less then 1/18 of an inch smaller then the reg. ipods.... The shuffle is ruled out. Given your song size.

And in reality if you want to lug around papers and other "data transfers" Then the new ipod mini won't due. Stick with the nice 4g iPod 20 giger...

kyle

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
CaptainCaveMann said:

well i have the ipod shuffle and am happy with it. i don't miss the display at all, when i don't like a song i just press 'next'. The battery lasts for about 17hours on mine which is far more than the 12hours apple promises.

the only reason i would currently consider a ipod mini or normal ipod is because:

1) you can select different playlists, this is the only thing i'm really missing on the shuffle

2) more songs

3) you will soon be able to run ipod linux on the mini and 4G ipods :D

however, since your music library is so big, the 20GB ipod is probably the best solution.

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
I would recommend you get the 20GB modle, you can cary all your songs with you and you would have some space left for transfering some files. I have about 5GB worth of music and i use the 20GB U2 iPod, i love it because i have tons of files on it and i can quickly transfer it between computers. Your music libary will alway grow so having that extra space is worth it.

The latest iPods have amazing battry life, just make sure to charge them up when you get back home/or beside your comp.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
without recommending any model in particular, I will say that I am surprised at how well the shuffle I just bought works for me.

I have over 100G of music, but I don't need it all at one time. I bought the 512MB shuffle as it was cheap, and I have 8 hours of songs on it, which seems like plenty (about 130 songs). Battery life is exceptional (so far).

Easy to carry around and manipulate sight unseen (ie in pocket). Jump drive functionality pretty cool too, tested that out the other day when I bought it.

One caveat - you can't use the shuffle with multiple itunes playlists (ie different computers) - it erases your ipod. Of course, there are work-arounds, but the shuffle is unique in this respect.

BTW, saw the mini and the reg. iPod and they both looked great. You certainly could have a worse decision - no matter what you choose, you will likely be satisfied.

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
I got the iPod mini almost two weeks ago and I am pleased. The battery life is long. I had to decide whether to get the mini or the shuffle. I chose the mini because I like to have control over what I listen too at that certain time. If you plan on loading all 3000 songs, I would get the 40 GB. If you think 1000 songs is enough, get the mini. If you think 300 songs in your pocket is enough, then go for the shuffle. It also depends on whether you want the screen and more control or you just want to listen to a random song at any given time. The mini is more portable then the 40 GB model and the shuffle is smaller then a candy bar. I wouldn't worry about the battery life on any of them, they are all very good. I for one, am pleased with the mini.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'd either save big and get the 512MB Shuffle (which doesn't quite fit all you need, but it's $99), or try to spend a little more and get the 30GB iPod Photo. For $50 more than the 20GB, you gain an extra 10GB of space and a color screen.

Edit: and the Photo will probably give you 15 or more hours of battery - not quite mini levels, but very adequate, esp. since I think the color screen - which has twice the resolution - will be well worth it as time goes on.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
i am madly in love with my shuffle, but still crave my 15gig 3rd gen if i want to mix and match specific tunes. i say get the bigger model to start with.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
The only reason I have my shuffle is for running - lasted great on a 20-miler the other day! :D

Get the 20GB iPod. Battery life is good, enough storage, plus space to use as an external drive.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
Actually

I personally think the *best* deal right now is the 40gig Photo for as long as you can find them. $380 at the apple store online (less elsewhere I think). 10 more gig than the 30gig photo, a dock, USB2 and Firewire cables, slipcase, AC charger, A/V cables...

That's what I just bought.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
plutnicki said:
I personally think the *best* deal right now is the 40gig Photo for as long as you can find them. $380 at the apple store online (less elsewhere I think). 10 more gig than the 30gig photo, a dock, USB2 and Firewire cables, slipcase, AC charger, A/V cables...

That's what I just bought.

That's what I got at buy.com...I wasn't sure if they are out right now or not...BTW they are a fulfillment center for Apple. My Apple Store order for an iCurve came from the same address as my iPod photo from buy.com....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.