Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
So apparently, many users on Lion have experienced freezes when attempting to play Flash videos after waking up from sleep. I've experienced this myself multiple times on my iMac. It seems to be an issue with Lion, and many others are experiencing this as well. The freeze results in a moving mouse, but unable to click anything. Can't access Activity Monitor nor Force Close. The only thing left to do is hard reset via the power button.

Please visit the provided links and share/report your story too if you've experienced this as well at the Apple Support page. Thanks.

http://gdgt.com/question/anyone-else-having-flash-video-freeze-their-27-imac-with-lion-f4s/

EDIT: Report on TUAW: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/24/lion-bug-some-imacs-locking-up-after-playing-video/

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I cannot be the only one who has this problem. iMac users over at the iMac forums have reported having this issue as well, and the thread over at Apple Support is growing.

I'm beginning to think this is a Lion-wide issue.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
If you haven't got Click 2 Flash installed then its your own fault really.

OS X has never played nice with flash, and probably never will now that HTML5 is taking over.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011

Flash runs perfectly fine prior to putting your mac to sleep. It's only after waking up (from full sleep) that this issue occurs. And it happens with QuickTime videos from your HD (not from the internet) as well.

This is a bigger problem than just Apple vs Flash. Visit the thread in the link to get more details, and try it out for yourself.

Aksta

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
Surrey, UK
This has also happened to me 3 times today. Especially when there are many flash tabs open. I initially thought this was a problem with safari but it seems to be a lion problem.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
A post just went up at the Apple Support saying the user has experienced this with iTunes videos as well.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I saw this on my 08 MacBook Air.

Since upgrading to the 11 MacBook Air, I haven't seen a repeat of this problem.

What model are you using?

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
A post just went up at the Apple Support saying the user has experienced this with iTunes videos as well.

There are issues with flash and lion. It's already a known bug. In fact it was reported the day of lion.

No, let's not get riled up about something that's already being worked on. One post about iTunes is one post. Welcome to early OS adoption... it's a gong show until 10.x.2

iphoneipad

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
Tested with my i5 MBA13 just now

loaded up a 1080HD video on youtube, then closed the lid. When i switched it back on, there is a freeze of about 3-5secs.

Not too bothered with it though:rolleyes:

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011

OS X has never played nice with flash, and probably never will now that HTML5 is taking over.

Flash works fine in OSX and Click 2 Flash does not work with Safari in Lion.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
Tested with my i5 MBA13 just now

loaded up a 1080HD video on youtube, then closed the lid. When i switched it back on, there is a freeze of about 3-5secs.

Not too bothered with it though:rolleyes:

Isn't that because of the slightly "cheezy" implementation of instant on. I believe I read that Lion shows a screenshot until the system is absolutely ready to work.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... my Lion knowledge just isn't there yet.

iphoneipad

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
Isn't that because of the slightly "cheezy" implementation of instant on. I believe I read that Lion shows a screenshot until the system is absolutely ready to work.

The sound/music of the video is playing, but the video just froze for few secs before resuming, if that makes any sense to you. haha

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
There are issues with flash and lion. It's already a known bug. In fact it was reported the day of lion.

No, let's not get riled up about something that's already being worked on. One post about iTunes is one post. Welcome to early OS adoption... it's a gong show until 10.x.2

I quote myself to say I was wrong.

The joys of the OS X 10.x.0 adoption. Good find OP.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Someone in another thread about this topic who claims to be a developer and running 10.7.2 says the problem still exists, unfortunately...

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US

How do you think Click2Flash would fix this if you actually wanted to, y'know, watch the darn flash video? I'm not a big fan of Flash (especially now that this is happening) but I still use it, and often need to.

And yes, HTML5 is taking over but not as fast as Apple would like you to think. That's what I'm uncomfortable with, and I'm feeling the rough edge of this transition.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Someone in another thread about this topic who claims to be a developer and running 10.7.2 says the problem still exists, unfortunately...

The 10.7.2 that went to developers doesn't have any bug fixes. It just adds some iCloud features. We'll get a bug fix soon, and they will also be in the final 10.7.2 that ships.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK

Wow, that right there seems more shocking that the thread topic. Can this be true?...Is Apple really tricking us? Seems ridiculous to me. :eek:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I've changed the title to reflect that it's been reported, and not officially commented on by Apple, as that's what it seemed like the title was saying. Sorry for the poor choice of word.

Back on topic...

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Hmm, haven't noticed this yet. Probably because I close tabs with flash video after I watch them, mainly because I find that the flash plugin eats RAM slowly even if you leave it alone.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010

There is one reason why HTML5 will not take over. DRM. There is none. And we know that is THEIR favorite feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.