Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chilla Frilla

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
United States
UPDATE: I've just returned from two different Apple stores in my area. EVERY single MacBook Air had this issue, no matter if it's the 11" or the 13", or even Samsung panel or LG panel. I simply cannot believe why any company would let this quality of panel make it into production. I couldn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

One thing I quickly noticed after browsing in Safari full-screen, there is a very apparent gradient effect at the bottom of the display. I've owned the 2010 Air and never noticed this bad of a viewing angle, so I'm unsure if the problem might only be with the new model.

I tried my best to photograph the issue. It's about a half an inch in height at the very bottom display.

Edit to other responders - the angle has nothing to do with this. It basically looks like a dithered drop shadow at the bottom of the screen. The op was just trying to capture it as bright straight into a lens won't often show defect.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 19, 2011
Bro, that just seems like your viewing angle. It's not an IPS display so don't expect a there to not be wide variations from different views.

Last edited:

Chilla Frilla

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
United States
Bro, that just seems like your viewing angle. It's not an IPS display so don't expect a there to be wide variations from different views.

It could be the viewing angle, but it seems to be much worse than it should be. I've never seen a TN panel this bad before.

Last edited:

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
mine has this too, can see it on my wallpaper. Unsure if its a Lion thing, to have a gradient at the bottom, haven't noticed it when booting tbh.

logicsuggests

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
Australia
I really hope they've stepped up, the viewing angles and black levels, they're still premium priced laptops.

I remember doing a comparison at a store when I purchased my original aluminum late 2008 macbook, the original airs had much better viewing angels and black levels.

My experience with mac laptops has been reasonably good barring the absolutely disgusting quality of my macbook's screen. Seriously, the slightly angle change with these displays results in almost unwatchable video. No one's asking for 'pro' color accuracy just a useable screen.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I have what you mean too.. I'm not sure if it is a panel issue or a lion look thing.. but I'm guessing the latter, I'll let you know when I install windows.

Subscribing for future contribution (unless someone beats me to it)

Edit to other responders - the angle has nothing to do with this. It basically looks like a dithered drop shadow at the bottom of the screen. The op was just trying to capture it as bright straight into a lens won't often show defect.

Chilla Frilla

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
United States
I have what you mean too.. I'm not sure if it is a panel issue or a lion look thing.. but I'm guessing the latter, I'll let you know when I install windows.

Subscribing for future contribution (unless someone beats me to it)

It's definitely not an intended appearance from Lion. My 17" MBP does not show the effect whatsoever.

logicsuggests

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
Australia
Who uses a laptop at such an angle anyway? :rolleyes:

Dunno about you, but on my macbook right now, if I highlight text on this page and tilt the screen just a few degrees, text becomes unreadable.

If I experience the same issues on my 11" ultimate when it arrives I'll just send it back and look for an alternative ultra portable. I'm not asking for pro features, but I would like a usable screen.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Mine's been like this since day one. It's simply the viewing angle. When I have my display tilted as far back as it will go (a nice viewing angle in bed sitting), it's not there at all. Also, the brighter it is, the less noticeable it is. No big deal, but most obvious in white fullscreen apps for sure. I don't know where people are getting the "oh, it's just Lion" conclusion. Nope. Was there for me in SL. It's also not a faulty panel- it's just the way it is. Mine's a 2010 11".

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
It's not a Lion issue. I'm using a 13 inch 2010 MBA and do not have the issue in Lion, nor do I have issues with off-angle viewing. What's the deal with Apple and displays though? I suffered through 5 yellowed iMac screens before finally telling Apple to go to hell. I would do the same if the screen on my 1000+ dollar laptop had issues. We're already overpaying for the product, so it better damn well be as close to perfect as possible.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
It's not a Lion issue. I'm using a 13 inch 2010 MBA and do not have the issue in Lion, nor do I have issues with off-angle viewing. What's the deal with Apple and displays though? I suffered through 5 yellowed iMac screens before finally telling Apple to go to hell. I would do the same if the screen on my 1000+ dollar laptop had issues. We're already overpaying for the product, so it better damn well be as close to perfect as possible.

I've had 3 MacBooks (one of each kind) and none of my screens have had issues. I think you're just unlucky, but I certainly understand the frustration.

PS: I'm not overpaying for my MacBook, compared to the market. Samsung 9 series can't get close enough, and the SSD upgrade would have cost me more than I paid for the 256GB SSD. MacBook Airs are competitively priced for what you're getting, imo.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
I've had 3 MacBooks (one of each kind) and none of my screens have had issues. I think you're just unlucky, but I certainly understand the frustration.

PS: I'm not overpaying for my MacBook, compared to the market. Samsung 9 series can't get close enough, and the SSD upgrade would have cost me more than I paid for the 256GB SSD. MacBook Airs are competitively priced for what you're getting, imo.

I wasn't unlucky with the iMacs. It's apparently just how they are. At one point the "genius"es at the Apple Store admitted the yellow-tinted screens are all within acceptable spec. It was at that point that I gave up and have never gone near an iMac again.

Chilla Frilla

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
United States
One thing I quickly noticed after browsing in Safari full-screen, there is a very apparent gradient effect at the bottom of the display. I've owned the 2010 Air and never noticed this bad of a viewing angle, so I'm unsure if the problem might only be with the new model.

I tried my best to photograph the issue. It's about a half an inch in height at the very bottom display.

[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/60/img0973zs.jpg]Image[/URL]

UPDATE: I've just returned from two different Apple stores in my area. EVERY single MacBook Air had this issue, no matter if it's the 11" or the 13", or even Samsung panel or LG panel. I simply cannot believe why any company would let this quality of panel make it into production. I couldn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I wonder if this will ever be fixed...

Oh well, I'll get used to it I guess, maybe I'll go in 6 months and see if they've fixed it, obvious defect, even if it is a small one.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland

You either didn't read my response to you, or totally ignored it, but, like I said, this has nothing to do with a faulty panel. This is the way they are and is alleviated somewhat depending on viewing angle. This is about assembly and design. Same thing for the iPad 2 and its "bleeding" screen. Thank God this is nowhere near the annoyance of a bleeding iPad 2. You wasted your time with the returns- I tried to tell you...

I wonder if this will ever be fixed...

Oh well, I'll get used to it I guess, maybe I'll go in 6 months and see if they've fixed it, obvious defect, even if it is a small one.

It's been like this since the new Air debuted last year - this isn't a 2011 problem. I doubt there will be a "fix".

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
My 2010 Air is like this too. A few months ago, I read something about the lighting gradients due to the thinness of the screen, or something of that nature. Everyone's 11" Air had the same issue. Anyway, don't worry about it, its perfectly normal.

Mandrax

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2006
i bought the new Mb Air 13" i5 this week and i noticed a really big lightness difference between the top and bottom of the screen.

The top is darker than the bottom. There is like a gradient effect ! Very bad for a web designer like me !!!

My november 2010 macbook air 11" doesn't have this issue.

I bring the MB air back today to the Apple store but the new one presents the same gradient problem.

I think this problem doesn't touch every new MbAir, i think there is a bad serie.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
i bought the new Mb Air 13" i5 this week and i noticed a really big lightness difference between the top and bottom of the screen.

The top is darker than the bottom. There is like a gradient effect ! Very bad for a web designer like me !!!

My november 2010 macbook air 11" doesn't have this issue.

I bring the MB air back today to the Apple store but the new one presents the same gradient problem.

I think this problem doesn't touch every new MbAir, i think there is a bad serie.

I'm not sure this is the same gradient effect we are talking about- if you look at the OP's original post, you will see that it is only evident at the very bottom (on lighter color/ white fullscreen pages especially) as a grayish cast. It effects about a half-inch area max, not the entire half of the screen. This is how mine is also. Could you post an image of your issue so we can compare? Your issue sounds a lot worse than ours and yours could possibly be actual faulty panels.

Samsumac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Have you tied calibrating your panels guys and gals? It would be interesting to hear back your conclusions if there is any perceived change after calibrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.