Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Anyway to keep the menubar in fullscreen? Its horribly slow-not consistent to get it back by moving mouse up...same with the dock. Also, I am having a lot of trouble getting show desktop to work with the thumb+3 finger spread gesture. Just me or a problem?

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Anyway to keep the menubar in fullscreen? Its horribly slow-not consistent to get it back by moving mouse up...same with the dock.

The whole point of full-screen is to get rid of distractions like the menu bar and dock. If you want those easily accessible then don't go into full-screen.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
The whole point of full-screen is to get rid of distractions like the menu bar and dock. If you want those easily accessible then don't go into full-screen.

It should be a choice...this is why most hate Apple. Steve changes things and doesnt give us options to do what we want. Until I can get fullscreen with menubar and/or dock I will go back to using Cinch. Just like the gestures, only selectable for a few and then force these stupidly awkward ones onto us.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
It should be a choice...this is why most hate Apple. Steve changes things and doesnt give us options to do what we want. Until I can get fullscreen with menubar and/or dock I will go back to using Cinch. Just like the gestures, only selectable for a few and then force these stupidly awkward ones onto us.

It is a choice, don't go into full-screen mode. If you need all of these things visible in full-screen mode then you don't need full-screen mode to begin with.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
It is a choice, don't go into full-screen mode. If you need all of these things visible in full-screen mode then you don't need full-screen mode to begin with.

I dont see how the menubar is a distraction at all, it takes like 5% of the screen?...maybe you need to re-evaluate your situation. Dock isnt important but atleast when I move the mouse there it should come up immediately, not require me to play around.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I dont see how the menubar is a distraction at all, it takes like 5% of the screen?...maybe you need to re-evaluate your situation. Dock isnt important but atleast when I move the mouse there it should come up immediately, not require me to play around.

It comes up fine for me without any playing around. Maybe you need to re-evaluate what is causing this problem for you on your system.

goomba

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

What exactly did "Steve" change? You can continue to use the zoom button or resize manually without affecting the visibility of the dock or menubar. What you are asking for is something like the maximize button in Windows, but OS X has never had one. Nothing is being taken away from you.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Using an external mouse in clamshell?

I'm using a Magic Trackpad with my '08 MacBook. I have never used clamshell mode, but have certainly thought of it if I ever get a nice external display. If this is what you are using maybe it has something to do with your problem of having to play around for the menu bar to come up. Maybe somebody else with the same setup can chime in and give some feedback.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Using Chrome, fullscreen button is available...until you fullscreen at which dock wont appear and there is no fullscreen button to get out. Esc doesnt work, only way out is View - Exit Full Screen.

goomba

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Using Chrome, fullscreen button is available...until you fullscreen at which dock wont appear and there is no fullscreen button to get out. Esc doesnt work, only way out is View - Exit Full Screen.

This is a known bug. Chrome had its own fullscreen mode before Lion and they are going to rebuild it for the new OS, but for now it behaves differently.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona

Which version of Chrome are you using? I have the latest version 13 beta and the full-screen button doesn't show for me in the upper right corner.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
12, are there any problems with the beta?

Couldn't really tell you as I rarely use it. I use Safari almost exclusively as Chrome kicks my cpu fan into high gear for some reason as soon as I open it. Other than that I haven't experienced anything bad like crashes when using the Chrome 13 beta.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010

Try setting up your lower left and right hot corners in Mission Control to "launchpad" (System Preferences). That will take you in and out of launchpad with Dock access, even from full screen Chrome.

A work around that I like ......:)

Last edited:

dancolman

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2012
Shift + Green Maximize Button

Try holding shift and pressing the green maximize button.
This will expand your window to fill the entire desktop. leaving space for the top menu bar, and the dock.

It does not hide other windows, or create a new desktop space.

You can create a new desktop, expand your app of choice there, and you're set.

If you dont have a trackpad, get one, it makes switching between desktop spaces and many other forms of control far more simple, intuitive, quick.

Here is a different option from a different forum:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/19160/how-to-always-show-menubar-with-fullscreen-apps

You can adjust this on a per-app basis by editing the plist. My memory is rusty but here are instructions, if I remember correctly.

Show package contents for the app you want
Edit the file Contents/info.plist
Search for "LSUIPresentationMode" (you may want to use a plist editor). It will look like this if you use a regular text editor:
<key>LSUIPresentationMode</key> <integer>4</integer>

If the property does not exist, then you can create it - it must be inserted in the correct alphabetical order.

Change the value of the integer accordingly:
LSUI PresentationMode 0 - Does not hide Dock or Menu Bar.

LSUIPresentationMode 1 - Hides Dock. Dock will appear if mouse moved to where it is located. Menu Bar will remain.

LSUIPresentationMode 2 - Removes Dock. Menu Bar will remain.

LSUIPresentationMode 3 - Removes Menu Bar and Dock.

LSUIPresentationMode 4 - Hides Menu Bar and Dock. Menu Bar or Dock will appear if mouse moved to where Menu Bar or Dock is located.

For more information on LSUIPresentationMode usage, click here:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/General/Reference/InfoPlistKeyReference/Articles/LaunchServicesKeys.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009250-113616-TPXREF134

mawdizzle

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2014
Detroit
Thanks dancolman

Thanks dancolman for the SHIFT + Green Plus trick. I appreciate your response to the question. I don't appreciate posts on a question like this:

I just bought my first Apple computer since my Apple 2 Plus in 1984. There are many things that Windows has figured out that make computing more pleasant and vice versa with Apple. If someone needs to maximize their window and maintain the menu bar because they compute more efficiently that way and it's just smarter sometimes to have a similar basic feature to MS Windows, they should be able to do that.

If they want to go full-screen and lose the menu bar, they should be able to do that as well. If your opinion is to give pompous responses about how "you" think things should be then it's my opinion to prefer answers like dancolman's to your's sir.

Good day.

StephenBraf

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
Anyway to keep the menubar in fullscreen? Its horribly slow-not consistent to get it back by moving mouse up...same with the dock. Also, I am having a lot of trouble getting show desktop to work with the thumb+3 finger spread gesture. Just me or a problem?

Press and hold ALT/OPTION key while clicking on the green full screen button, it will maximise the window and not take it to full screen.

cruzrt

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2015

I agree with you. We're now on El Capitan, and I've been requesting this feature/option since they introduced full screen apps. I like working in fullscreen mode, but I'd like the option to always the see items on my menu bar—battery level, day/tie, app menu bar, etc.—without having to move my mouse up to the top of the screen.

I would think it would be an easy option to implement.

jdavidbakr

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
I agree with you. We're now on El Capitan, and I've been requesting this feature/option since they introduced full screen apps. I like working in fullscreen mode, but I'd like the option to always the see items on my menu bar—battery level, day/tie, app menu bar, etc.—without having to move my mouse up to the top of the screen.

I would think it would be an easy option to implement.

I've been hunting this down because I want to use fullscreen mode to reduce distractions - but whenever I move my mouse to use something near the top of the screen (I'm in Chrome) the menu bar pushes the top of the chrome address bar down, and when I go down to click on what it just pushed down it pulls it back up and I inevitably click on a bookmark in the address bar. Would love the option to prevent the menu bar from showing up. And now you can't even click on the expand button to fill the screen, so if you want to have a full screen app without losing the menu bar you have to manually move it into position and drag it to fill the screen. Very annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.