Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Distributed Computing

Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:38 PM   #1
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

320m in crunching?

I have a mini running 24/7, with BOINC running world community grid projects. I just realized today that the 320m used in it supports CUDA. Are there any GPU-based humanitarian projects that I can tie the mini into? Will it bog down video decoding performance while running, or release resources when needed, like CPU-based crunching?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:18 PM   #2
ayeying
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ayeying
Running the video card will lag normal operations of your system such as opening windows, scrolling and such. However, crunching while you're sleeping (aka, overnight) is fine.

You'll need to install nVidia's CUDA toolkit + drivers + samples to make it work though. I run it with my 330M with BOINC. Only a few projects are compatible with the OS X + CUDA platform.
ayeying is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:21 PM   #3
sporadicMotion
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeying View Post
Running the video card will lag normal operations of your system such as opening windows, scrolling and such. However, crunching while you're sleeping (aka, overnight) is fine.

You'll need to install nVidia's CUDA toolkit + drivers + samples to make it work though. I run it with my 330M with BOINC. Only a few projects are compatible with the OS X + CUDA platform.
+1

Which projects do you guys support? I crunch for einstein@home (Team Canada). I have 2 dedicated (but old) systems and I'm going to dedicate another 2 systems after I move.
sporadicMotion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:41 PM   #4
ayeying
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ayeying
One more note, there is a release feature. It's basically, if you're using your system, it'll stop GPU crunching. After the system has been idle for an x amount of minutes (3 minute is default), it'll restart GPU crunching.
ayeying is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:20 PM   #5
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

I installed the drivers and Boic reports finding the GPU. What projects can I run on it now? I only found einstien@home, and I'm more interested in humanitarian causes, though I'm not exactly sure what einstien does, I don't think it's medical research or energy research.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:25 PM   #6
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

How is this supposed to work?

Should Nvidia CUDA projects run as if they are a third core, or do they need both the GPU and CPU to run calculations? I see FightAIDS@home, Human proteme folding, and einstein on my list, but only the two fightaids projects are running.