Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we noted last week, Apple has adopted new Bluetooth 4.0 chips in their latest MacBook Airs and Mac Minis. Bluetooth 4.0 notably includes the Bluetooth Low Energy specification which promises a low-power and low-latency implementation that opens the door to a number of new kinds of Bluetooth-powered devices.

The best example of what will be possible comes from Apple's popular Nike+ accessory which isn't actually a Bluetooth Low Energy device. The Nike+ accessory is a sensor that sends signals from your shoe to your iOS device to track your daily runs. The information is sent from the sensor wirelessly to your iOS device where it's stored for later syncing. Nike's implementation is a proprietary one, though it is similar to Bluetooth.

Bluetooth Low Energy standardizes this sort of functionality for a broad market of devices. Like Nike's shoe sensor, the new protocol promises the ability to power accessories for more than a year on a simple button cell battery without recharging.

Since the technology is so new, there haven't been many product announcements for accessories with the technology. Casio was one of the few who has revealed a Bluetooth low-energy watch that will interface with your mobile phone.

The device can receive notifications for incoming calls, SMS and email, and can also be used to locate your phone if its within range (~5 meters). Even with the incorporation of the Bluetooth technology, the watch will run for two years on its cell battery.

Other possible uses commonly listed for Bluetooth Low Energy include:

• Find Me - electronic leash applications
• Proximity - wireless locking and unlocking, out of range alerts
• Sports / Running - stats and vitals
• Health - heart rate monitor, blood pressure, glucose monitors

EETimes suggests one interesting indoor use for these sensors given their low cost and low maintenance requirements.
One key application could be indoor location (where there is no GPS signal) whereby sensors around a large public building (such as an airport or rail station) constantly broadcast information about their location. A Bluetooth low energy equipped cell phone passing within range could then display that information to its owner. Sensors could transmit other information such as flight times and gates, location of amenities, or special offers from nearby shops.
Apple joined the Bluetooth board of directors just last month and it's likely that Bluetooth 4.0 will soon extend into their other devices beyond the MacBook Air and Mac mini. The Bluetooth site claims that virtually all new smart phones will include Bluetooth 4.0 by the end of 2012.

Article Link: Apple's Adoption of 'Bluetooth Low Energy' Paves Way for New Possibilities

roocka

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
Indianapolis
This is what needs to happen

Apple needs to put bluetooth 4.0 in the new Nano and then manufacture some amazing wireless headphones for working out. Why they haven't done this yet is beyond me. You can wear your Nano all the time and just put on your wireless headphones (add on accessory) and take a hike. It would be way better than running with it clipped with wires to your shirt.

Space-traveller

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Really?

Oh man, I just bought a new MacBook Pro. Kinda wish I'd wait a little while, I mean, a battery that lasts for a year sounds so nice! Is it worth it on a Laptop though? Just curious if I spent my money on the right MBP.

EDIT: It sounds like I'm talking about battery on the MBP. Lol, no I mean for the bluetooth devices.

Last edited:

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Last edited:

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Sensors could transmit other information such as flight times and gates, location of amenities, or special offers from nearby shops.

With or without my permission?

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
Apple needs to put bluetooth 4.0 in the new Nano and then manufacture some amazing wireless headphones for working out. Why they haven't done this yet is beyond me. You can wear your Nano all the time and just put on your wireless headphones (add on accessory) and take a hike. It would be way better than running with it clipped with wires to your shirt.

Wireless has its own share of issues. Keeping a BT device paired for A2DP streaming to a set of wireless headphones would have to impact battery time.

joose

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
Door

I created few years ago an application that scanned bluetooth devices. If a certain BT MAC was near, it opened the door.

Problem was that it was way too slow to work in real life.

if BT4 is fast, then maybe I could make it work again.

frank.is

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
I'd like to see an app for iPhone coupled with small stick-on or keychain accessories that'd allow you to locate your car keys, remote controls, etc.

SiriusExcelsior

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
Canis Major
So.. the BCM20702 gives Bluetooth 4.0.. while the BCM2070 in the MBPs earlier in the year gave Bluetooth 3.0? I feel a bit cheated :p

Also there's the whole thing about Apple saying it only has 2.1+EDR.. confusing..

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
One key application could be indoor location (where there is no GPS signal) whereby sensors around a large public building (such as an airport or rail station) constantly broadcast information about their location.

"Computer. Locate Lieutenant Worf."

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
How about a wireless mouse that would last a year then? Wireless mice already last 6 months, now I guess we could extend that further.

London Lad

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
UK
You would think they would get up to date with rSAP first so that a iPhone can be used in modern and hi end cars.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Bluetooth always on in your pants. Testicular cancer (And the female crotch cancers too) here we come

Though I see this as Apple peripherals lasting longer on a single charge of the rechargeable batteries before you need to recharge. So less charge cycles for the batteries in a set time period is always nice.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Apple should support or even make a Bluetooth (low energy) remote control for the iOS devices like the iPad and even the iPod touch and iPhone. That would be awesome for Keynote presentations. Something like this, but for iOS devices:

Keyspan Wireless Presentation Remote for Conferences, Boardrooms and Classrooms
http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=847&txtModelID=3904

And if Microsoft made PowerPoint for iOS, that would be the ultimate presentation tool.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I've logged about 14,000 miles using the Nike+ kit ever since it was introduced about 5 years ago. And I've burned through at least a dozen of the Nike+ sensors. Never did I have one whose battery lasted a full year.

Just sayin'...

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Just jump on the NFC bandwagon it's effortless pairing another NFC enabled device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.