Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:29 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Adoption of Bluetooth Low Energy Paves Way for New Possibilities

As we noted last week, Apple has adopted new Bluetooth 4.0 chips in their latest MacBook Airs and Mac Minis. Bluetooth 4.0 notably includes the Bluetooth Low Energy specification which promises a low-power and low-latency implementation that opens the door to a number of new kinds of Bluetooth-powered devices.

The best example of what will be possible comes from Apple's popular Nike+ accessory which isn't actually a Bluetooth Low Energy device. The Nike+ accessory is a sensor that sends signals from your shoe to your iOS device to track your daily runs. The information is sent from the sensor wirelessly to your iOS device where it's stored for later syncing. Nike's implementation is a proprietary one, though it is similar to Bluetooth.

Bluetooth Low Energy standardizes this sort of functionality for a broad market of devices. Like Nike's shoe sensor, the new protocol promises the ability to power accessories for more than a year on a simple button cell battery without recharging.

Since the technology is so new, there haven't been many product announcements for accessories with the technology. Casio was one of the few who has revealed a Bluetooth low-energy watch that will interface with your mobile phone.

The device can receive notifications for incoming calls, SMS and email, and can also be used to locate your phone if its within range (~5 meters). Even with the incorporation of the Bluetooth technology, the watch will run for two years on its cell battery.

Other possible uses commonly listed for Bluetooth Low Energy include:

• Find Me - electronic leash applications
• Proximity - wireless locking and unlocking, out of range alerts
• Sports / Running - stats and vitals
• Health - heart rate monitor, blood pressure, glucose monitors

EETimes suggests one interesting indoor use for these sensors given their low cost and low maintenance requirements.
Quote:
One key application could be indoor location (where there is no GPS signal) whereby sensors around a large public building (such as an airport or rail station) constantly broadcast information about their location. A Bluetooth low energy equipped cell phone passing within range could then display that information to its owner. Sensors could transmit other information such as flight times and gates, location of amenities, or special offers from nearby shops.
Apple joined the Bluetooth board of directors just last month and it's likely that Bluetooth 4.0 will soon extend into their other devices beyond the MacBook Air and Mac mini. The Bluetooth site claims that virtually all new smart phones will include Bluetooth 4.0 by the end of 2012.

Article Link: Apple's Adoption of Bluetooth Low Energy Paves Way for New Possibilities
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:35 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Too bad Bluetooth 4.0's swiss cheese-like security is only marginally improved from earlier versions of the standard.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:36 AM   #3
roocka
macrumors regular

This is what needs to happen

Apple needs to put bluetooth 4.0 in the new Nano and then manufacture some amazing wireless headphones for working out. Why they haven't done this yet is beyond me. You can wear your Nano all the time and just put on your wireless headphones (add on accessory) and take a hike. It would be way better than running with it clipped with wires to your shirt.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:42 AM   #4
Minhthien
macrumors 6502

still you can not send/share music over bluetooth!
Minhthien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:42 AM   #5
Space-traveller
macrumors newbie

Really?

Oh man, I just bought a new MacBook Pro. Kinda wish I'd wait a little while, I mean, a battery that lasts for a year sounds so nice! Is it worth it on a Laptop though? Just curious if I spent my money on the right MBP.

EDIT: It sounds like I'm talking about battery on the MBP. Lol, no I mean for the bluetooth devices.

Last edited by Space-traveller; Jul 25, 2011 at 01:55 AM.
Space-traveller is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:44 AM   #6
goobot
macrumors 601

This is gana be in the iPhone 5.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:49 AM   #7
coolbreeze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Too bad Bluetooth 4.0's swiss cheese-like security is only marginally improved from earlier versions of the standard.
Wow, interesting news post dissolved into glittery pieces on the 1st reply! Congrats!

LG G2, iPhone 5, iPad 4 LTE, 15" rMBP, SP3, Lumia 1520.

coolbreeze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:52 AM   #8
t0mat0
macrumors 601

BCM4330 chip by Broadcom - it'll likely power the iPhone 5 and give it BT 4.0

being the successor to the BCM4329 chip that the current iPhone 4 has...

The Heart Rate Monitor by Nordic Semicoductor http://www.nordicsemi.com/eng/News/P...hone-or-gadget shown at http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Bluet...-Products.aspx is just the start.

(e.g. see how Wahoo and others had to bodge round not having ANT support)

Last edited by t0mat0; Jul 25, 2011 at 01:58 AM.
t0mat0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:55 AM   #9
batchtaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Sensors could transmit other information such as flight times and gates, location of amenities, or special offers from nearby shops.
With or without my permission?
batchtaster is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:56 AM   #10
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by batchtaster View Post
With or without my permission?
Why would it need your permission?

The Airport is transmitting public data to anyone who wants to read it.

arn
arn is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:58 AM   #11
Hyper-X
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by roocka View Post
Apple needs to put bluetooth 4.0 in the new Nano and then manufacture some amazing wireless headphones for working out. Why they haven't done this yet is beyond me. You can wear your Nano all the time and just put on your wireless headphones (add on accessory) and take a hike. It would be way better than running with it clipped with wires to your shirt.
Wireless has its own share of issues. Keeping a BT device paired for A2DP streaming to a set of wireless headphones would have to impact battery time.
Hyper-X is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:06 AM   #12
SilianRail
macrumors 6502

How about instead of that pie in the sky crap we get mouses with extended battery life.
SilianRail is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:16 AM   #13
joose
macrumors newbie

Door

I created few years ago an application that scanned bluetooth devices. If a certain BT MAC was near, it opened the door.

Problem was that it was way too slow to work in real life.

if BT4 is fast, then maybe I could make it work again.
joose is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:19 AM   #14
frank.is
macrumors newbie

I'd like to see an app for iPhone coupled with small stick-on or keychain accessories that'd allow you to locate your car keys, remote controls, etc.
frank.is is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:25 AM   #15
SiriusExcelsior
macrumors regular

So.. the BCM20702 gives Bluetooth 4.0.. while the BCM2070 in the MBPs earlier in the year gave Bluetooth 3.0? I feel a bit cheated

Also there's the whole thing about Apple saying it only has 2.1+EDR.. confusing..
SiriusExcelsior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:37 AM   #16
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
One key application could be indoor location (where there is no GPS signal) whereby sensors around a large public building (such as an airport or rail station) constantly broadcast information about their location.
"Computer. Locate Lieutenant Worf."
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:38 AM   #17
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Longer lasting Bluetooth Headphones are all I want
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:41 AM   #18
baryon
macrumors 68030

How about a wireless mouse that would last a year then? Wireless mice already last 6 months, now I guess we could extend that further.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:51 AM   #19
London Lad
macrumors newbie

You would think they would get up to date with rSAP first so that a iPhone can be used in modern and hi end cars.
London Lad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:52 AM   #20
Skika
macrumors 68020

gotta love new technology.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:01 AM   #21
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Bluetooth always on in your pants. Testicular cancer (And the female crotch cancers too) here we come

Though I see this as Apple peripherals lasting longer on a single charge of the rechargeable batteries before you need to recharge. So less charge cycles for the batteries in a set time period is always nice.
the8thark is offline   -11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:07 AM   #22
Marx55
macrumors 6502a

Apple should support or even make a Bluetooth (low energy) remote control for the iOS devices like the iPad and even the iPod touch and iPhone. That would be awesome for Keynote presentations. Something like this, but for iOS devices:

Keyspan Wireless Presentation Remote for Conferences, Boardrooms and Classrooms
http://www.tripplite.com/en/products...xtModelID=3904

And if Microsoft made PowerPoint for iOS, that would be the ultimate presentation tool.
Marx55 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:18 AM   #23
japanime
macrumors 65816

I've logged about 14,000 miles using the Nike+ kit ever since it was introduced about 5 years ago. And I've burned through at least a dozen of the Nike+ sensors. Never did I have one whose battery lasted a full year.

Just sayin'...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:23 AM   #24
rovex
macrumors 65816

Just jump on the NFC bandwagon it's effortless pairing another NFC enabled device.
rovex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:24 AM   #25
lyrrad721
macrumors regular

I want that G-Shock!
lyrrad721 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion