Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TechCrunch has posted an extensive gallery of screenshots from Facebook's long anticipated native iPad app. It turns out the latest update to Facebook's native iPhone application also included the resources for the iPad app.

@AeroEchelon first noticed and posted the first screenshots of the app to Twitter.

TechCrunch's MG Siegler found the app to be quite good even in its non-public release form:
The app also makes great use of the pop-overs (overlay menus) found in other iPad apps. When you flip the iPad horizontally, the list of your online friends appears and you can chat with them as you do other things on Facebook. The photo-viewer aspect looks great -- similar to the iPad's own native Photos app. Places exists with a nice big map to show you all your friends around you. Etc.
Facebook is said to be launching this native app shortly. Facebook's own native iPhone app has been consistently in the top Free apps on Apple's App Store. The company has not yet released an iPad version of their app, though the demand has been clear as 3rd party Facebook apps such as MyPad have consistently ranked in the iPad bestsellers since the iPad's launch.

Article Link: Facebook's Native iPad App Leaked

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Before making even more app versions could facebook focus on making a version of their iPhone app that isn't saturated in bugs? Every release they do seems to fix 5 bugs but adds 10 more.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
They need to fix the iPhone version first!

I deleted off my phone last week because it is such a waste of space. Notifications, search and text input barely work as it is. So what use does it have?

itsjoncharles

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
Yeah, the iPhone app is bad but I have to use because there are no alternatives (and don't suggest the mobile version: it sucks). They really need to just make massive changes to it.

Dewroo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Tilton, NH.
Oh, well this is brilliant. it incorporates the best things from various Facebook iPad apps.
it's wonderful, but i think things like group docks and better support for things like that would be good. i know a few people who use group docs who would love that on their iPad.

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
The official Facebook account for the Facebook iPhone App had posted the other day that the newest version of the app was available in the App Store. However, in the post, they referred to the App as for "iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad," despite it not actually being a native iPad app. I called them out on this and they haven't responded, but after seeing that there is an iPad app buried in the latest version, I'm guessing they planned on releasing a universal app this time, but changed their mind last minute. Some associated marketing announcements probably weren't revised in time NOT to mention iPad.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a version 3.5 or maybe even a jump to 4.0 shortly, with iPad support activated.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Good, I'm glad it leaked. Something so dumb, that is so sought after, should have its parade rained on.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Not looking forward to it in the slightest.

The iPhone App is one of the worst apps ever created. It was useable when it first came out. But Facebook have a tendency to ruin everything after an update.

Reddmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Shame I'm away from my iPad for a week or so, been waiting for this for so long. Been trying to use Friendly but I always fine myself coming back to the Mobile site.

Last edited by a moderator:

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Looking forward to this!

Why is everybody complaining about the iPhone app...what's wrong with it? what bugs?

For me it seems to be one of the best apps on the iPhone....

DoctorWho

Suspended
Jun 18, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It actually works very well. I think from now on I'll use it instead of accessing the Facebook website via Safari.

It's a very nice app, much better than their horrible iPhone app.

brandscill

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Looking forward to this!

Why is everybody complaining about the iPhone app...what's wrong with it? what bugs?

For me it seems to be one of the best apps on the iPhone....

You've either never updated it or are the luckiest man on the earth haha

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Not looking forward to it in the slightest.

The iPhone App is one of the worst apps ever created. It was useable when it first came out. But Facebook have a tendency to ruin everything after an update.

This type of hyperbole has always amused me. I have no idea what you are talking about. The Facebook app has always been perfectly usable for me. I'd even call it quite decent. The only complaint I have is the bugs, which have almost always been present in some form.

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
iOS 5 looks like a big update....

So many new services... iMessage, Twitter, Facebook, voice control, Notifications, messaging system, Wifi sync, pc free... Juicy!
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.