Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxxTraxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
They need to scrap the iPhone Facebook app and have someone else do it. Absolute shame how bad it is!

But this native iPad app? Doubt I'll use it after seeing the iPhone version

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I just hope that Google+ gets more traction with time so I can dump Mark Sugarloaf's douchecrap...besides, this seems like an exact copy of Friendly or MyPad...unimpressive, to say the least.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Tried activating this as explained in the instructions, but every time I launch the app on my ipad it just crashes instantly and goes back to the home screen. I'm curious and would like to try it out, but I guess I will just wait, unless someone else had this issue and knows of a fix?

I note there’s no comments (one just above me) here about the hack to make the iPad version accessible not working for a lot of people. Trying to work out how to get it going, but all I’m getting is crashes :(

Anyone got it to work on their iPad?

Yep doesn't work for me either. Would have loved to try it!

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
I've been using it, needed a respring before it switched to iPhone version.
Those who can't log in on it may need to go to Facebook.com and go through the "Roadblock" they have set up.

I uploaded some screenshots of it to my my Facebook mobile uploads, but they've now mysteriously vanished... Seems Facebook don't want people seeing the app yet then!

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
I don't know why some people are saying the Facebook iPhone app is "the worst" app in the app store, because that's a very big exaggeration. The app has some bugs, I won't lie. However, my app has never crashed, it's never not loaded something I needed or anything big. Just some push notification problems once in a while, that's my biggest complaint about it.

Yep doesn't work for me either. Would have loved to try it!

Facebook caught on to the hack to get the iPad version and they are now blocking it.

Phenotype

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
What is the need for a Facebook iPad app? I understand the need on the iPhone, due to its small screen size, but the iPad has a 1024 x 768 screen. Can't people just go to the website?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
What is the need for a Facebook iPad app? I understand the need on the iPhone, due to its small screen size, but the iPad has a 1024 x 768 screen. Can't people just go to the website?

photo and video uploading, facebook chat, and the new video chat thing that's coming in.......

plus be nice to have a proper interface.

Take a look at the Twitter app for the iPad.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Got it to work… and Skype!

So I got it to work eventually, using the revised instructions posted on Flo's blog.

I tried the same method with the Skype app, and it worked (sort of)! I got a full screen Skype app, unfortunately none of the buttons along the bottom are working, but you can click on your contacts and initiate chats/calls.

Not really usable as it is, but somebody who knows how to modify apps using cydia patches might be able to use it as a basis to give us a full-screen iPad version of Skype.

Or Skype could just release the one they're working on, or Apple could push it through the App store review cycle… whatever is holding the release back. :)

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    63 KB · Views: 94
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    226.6 KB · Views: 96

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
If you read his site now Facebook closed the door, you can't log in now, hell I can log in on my iPad now that I deleted the app and reinstalled it. Meh I just will delete my Facebook account and just use my google plus account, (all my friends are there too) and use their service if this is how Facebook wants to play. Google plus is better anyway. THIS APP SUCKED AFTER THE FIRST DEVELOPER LEFT THE COMPANY.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
If you read his site now Facebook closed the door, you can't log in now, hell I can log in on my iPad now that I deleted the app and reinstalled it. Meh I just will delete my Facebook account and just use my google plus account, (all my friends are there too) and use their service if this is how Facebook wants to play. Google plus is better anyway. THIS APP SUCKED AFTER THE FIRST DEVELOPER LEFT THE COMPANY.

But there is no Google+ iPad app yet either, or have I missed something?

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
But there is no Google+ iPad app yet either, or have I missed something?

No but you can use the iPhone app just like Facebook. Facebook is the new mySpace. Goole+ will overtake it and maybe twitter, because it's a nice blend between Twitter and Facebook.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
No but you can use the iPhone app just like Facebook. Facebook is the new mySpace. Goole+ will overtake it and maybe twitter, because it's a nice blend between Twitter and Facebook.

I really don't see that happening. after having used google+ for a couple of weeks now, it definitely doesn't feel like this is the "new Facebook", whereas when facebook came out, it was definitely the new, much better, much user friendly myspace.

eah2119

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Before reading my expression was "How the hell can an app be leaked before released??!!"

Guarddog13

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Hmmm

So FB hires a former iPhone hacker and then releases an update to their iPhone app with a "hidden" code for the iPad app. Soon after it's found you can enable this even without a jailbreak, which is quickly blocked. Now the only way to get this app is with a Cydia tweak. I've JB before and it just doesn't suit me I find no use it in it, but that's beyond the point; to each their own. So now that Geohot works for FB are they in the business of running Cydia apps? I pointed this out in the comments section in the app store and of course apple removed my comment. Just release the thing already Zuckerburg and quit sitting on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.