Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

snow_leopard_box.jpg

Apple today released a series of Mac OS X 10.6.8 releases, apparently revising the original version as well as offering a "supplemental update" to patch systems that have already been upgraded to the latest version of Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
The Mac OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and resolves issues with:

- Transferring personal data, settings, and compatible applications from a Mac running Mac OS X Snow Leopard to a new Mac running Mac OS X Lion
- Certain network printers that pause print jobs immediately and fail to complete
- System audio that stops working when using HDMI or optical audio out
Available downloads include:

- Mac OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental Update (10.19 MB) - for users already on Mac OS X 10.6.8
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update v.1.1 (453.55 MB) - delta release for users who have yet to update to Mac OS X 10.6.8
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 (1.09 GB) - combo release for users who have yet to update to Mac OS X 10.6.8

- Mac OS X 10.6.8 Server Supplemental Update (10.23 MB) - for users already on Mac OS X Server 10.6.8
- Mac OS X Server v10.6.8 Update v1.1 (518.28 MB) - delta release for users who have yet to update to Mac OS X Server 10.6.8
- Mac OS X Server v10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 (1.18 GB) - combo release for users who have yet to update to Mac OS X Server 10.6.8

Article Link: Apple Releases Revised Mac OS X 10.6.8 With Patch for Existing Users

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
Can someone please explain more about the first bullet point? What about people who have already made the migration from SL to Lion? What exactly does this update do to migrations that wasn't being done before? We need more details please.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I don't have crashing issues, but I do think Lion is pretty buggy.

+1

My Apple TVs have been problematic since upgrade to Lion. Random home sharing dropouts are an hourly issue.

Safari in Lion sometimes fails to start as well.

The latter is more annoying than anything. But the aTV problems are pretty bad, and obvious.

sngx1275

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Missouri
I have a Mini that I was(am) having problems with the audio cutting out via optical. I thought that maybe I caused it when I opened it up to drop it back down to 2GB of RAM from 4 (the 4 then went in my mid 09 MBP). Thought that maybe I didn't get the audio connection back on properly because the first time I opened it up I forgot and then of course had no audio.

This was intermittant, and it seemed I could sometimes fix it by going into the Sound system pref and changing the alert sound - but it could just have been coincidental.

jetlife2

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2004
Cincinnati, Oh
Why not 10.6.9?

If you have a revision nomenclature, stick to it.

This is going to be very confusing. Imagine the support call "What OS? " 10.6.8. "Which One? " Huh?

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Oh yeah! Thank God! Apple is so great. I've been having some issues on 10.6.8 and I didnt want to upgrade to Lion just yet (maybe in a couple of months when some updates solve bugs).

I hope this solves the system preferences issue I've been having.

Its so great to see apple takes care of this things :D:D:D

ktappe

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2003
Wilmington, DE

This is going to be very confusing. Imagine the support call "What OS? " 10.6.8. "Which One? " Huh?

This. Now we sysadmins have to worry about which version of 10.6.8 is installed on each workstation. ARD won't be of help; it will report both patched and unpatched as 10.6.8. Just what I needed; more work. :confused:

dragonslive

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2003
Australia
The posted link for the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 seems to be the original (v1) version as it is dated June 23. Same with the apple link on apple support downloads. May have to wait for that update.....will just use the supp for now.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Should I be worried at all that I updated to Lion from 10.6.7?

I see this new 10.6.8 update has fixes for upgrading to Lion.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
- System audio that stops working when using HDMI or optical audio out

So now they fixed a bug in Snow Leopard that is also in Lion.

Oh well, at least I know it will be in 10.7.1

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Its very important that Apple fixed those little bugs on snow leopard. They still stick with snow leopard despite releasing lion.

The best thing that could happen is that snow leopard gets as optimized as possible. This way theres no rush to upgrade to lion.

EDIT: seems that the system preferences bug I had is now gone!! Awesome.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So 10.6.8b or 10.6.8.1 or Snow Leopard rises from the grave...
I wonder what percentage of 10.6 users will have upgraded to 10.7 by the end of the summer.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Ugh. Totally.

Our Macs at work aren't online so I can't just say "check for updates." I have to download updates and bring them over on a flash drive. This kind of thing makes it MUCH harder to keep track of what needs to be done on each machine.

Sure, I can read this article today and do this now, but what if one of them needs to be re-formatted in the future? I'll have to remember this specific thing and look it up in the future and then download it in addition to 10.6.8. Just putting out 10.6.9 would have been so much easier.

andyroochoo

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Newcastle Upon Tyne. UK
overall happy with lion but i have to say i have found another bug.

if I'm streaming something to my appleTV2, the display doesn't sleep even after resting the PRAM, SMC and rebooting.

if i leave iTunes open and stream nothing, the display sleeps. bad for the display not letting it sleep……

i'll give it until 10.7.1 before i un-install. i hate to say it but lion has to be the buggiest release yet!

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
It's very strange; I was just trying to update an old iMac to 10.6.8 last night and it had a kernel panic during install and now won't boot. I'm now wondering which version of 10.6.8 it was and whether the version had anything to do with it. I downloaded it probably around 5 AM eastern last night, or this morning, if you're an early bird.

I just created a thread about it if anyone has any advice on what I should do next.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Good thing i postponed upgrading to Lion. Just wait a month or so for the first patch updates and then switching should be smooth sailing.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
overall happy with lion but i have to say i have found another bug.

if I'm streaming something to my appleTV2, the display doesn't sleep even after resting the PRAM, SMC and rebooting.

if i leave iTunes open and stream nothing, the display sleeps. bad for the display not letting it sleep……

i'll give it until 10.7.1 before i un-install. i hate to say it but lion has to be the buggiest release yet!

I was an early adopter of both Leopard and Snow Leopard, and I have to agree... Lion is the buggiest. Snow Leopard introduced some incompatibilities that caused some problems with apps, but I wouldn't classify that as a bug.

andrewprocter

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
So now they fixed a bug in Snow Leopard that is also in Lion.

Oh well, at least I know it will be in 10.7.1

Exactly. I spent two hours lest night trying to revert AppleHDA.kext to fix this issue on my Lion install. Here's hoping 10.7.1 comes out soon.

andyroochoo

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Newcastle Upon Tyne. UK
my only snow leopard issue i had was copying files to an external hard drive caused them to disappear completely. un installed it at the moment and went back to leopard until the first patch dropped. no matter what anyone says, its a poor show from apple.

is it unreasonable to expect that the 1.0 release won't have any bugs? the beta testing is for that purpose isn't it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.