Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

david.pena

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
A friend wants to buy an old iPhone from CL and asked for advice. While I often buy i-devices on CL, I have never actually made a list of things I test. This has inspired to make a list as it will benefit others as well.

0. Look at the cosmetic condition. Look for scratches on screen, back, scuffing on the trim, cracks near earphone jack and charger. Remove any screen protector or case.

Here are items to test if it looks fine:

1. Turn silent switch to speaker and then switch it back to vibrate
If the phone doesn't vibrate:
-either the vibrator is bad or the switch is bad

2. Ask someone to call you:
-Test Ringer
-Test Speaker phone
-Test Earphones

3. Press home button to go to SpringBoard a few times to ensure it isn't stuck

4. Pinch and zoom a few times to test the digitizer

5. Open Safari and Rotate the phone a few times to test accelerometer

What else?

daaneel

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
If its jailbreaken search for winterboard and see if something like fake my about screen is enabled

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
If the warranty is supposedly still valid, you can check the age of the phone using https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

-Make sure all buttons are working properly
-If purchasing the 3GS, check the compass
-Take a picture
-Make a phone call
-If possible, make sure wi-fi is connecting properly
-Check for dead pixels

david.pena

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
If the warranty is supposedly still valid, you can check the age of the phone using https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

-Make sure all buttons are working properly
-If purchasing the 3GS, check the compass
-Take a picture
-Make a phone call
-If possible, make sure wi-fi is connecting properly
-Check for dead pixels

Everything added to my list. Any tips for people to check for dead pixels? I feel that they show better on black. Is that true?

daaneel

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
Hey, never heard of this fake about screen. What is that?

Pretty much it lets the person fake stuff on the about screen,
for example if the iphone is actually a 16gig they can change the about screen to say 32gig

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Make sure you check water sensors, in headphone jack and dock connector, bring a small LED flashlight.

Dandrews524

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
New York
on top of those things you listed i would give the water sensor a look, if it is inside of the headphone jack like it is on the iphone 4

Bonch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2005
Lithuania
All good ideas. I would also look through the Photos App to get an idea what kind of abuses it has gone through and what kind of person owned it before.

Bonch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2005
Lithuania
why so creepy :D

:D

It might be overkill. I just like to play it safe. Imagine if you saw a pic of some man's bottom and you could tell it was taken with the phone close to it. Would you let that phone touch your face if you knew it was so close to some man's bottom? I would not.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY

It might be overkill. I just like to play it safe. Imagine if you saw a pic of some man's bottom and you could tell it was taken with the phone close to it. Would you let that phone touch your face if you knew it was so close to some man's bottom? I would not.

Ha, ha, pretty funny stuff. Sounds like you might want to stick to new phones only. :)

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011

Good point, personally and I know others will agree with me, buying a new product off the production lines gives you a sense of security that everything is new and functional(99% of the time) and you will be worry free.After all apple products are very exclusive, might as well get a new one if you plan to get one.

david.pena

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Good point, personally and I know others will agree with me, buying a new product off the production lines gives you a sense of security that everything is new and functional(99% of the time) and you will be worry free.After all apple products are very exclusive, might as well get a new one if you plan to get one.

I would agree if money was a non-issue in this world. Compromises can't be avoided.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.