Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaMob

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Hi all

I've done a clean install of Lion and now I want to install Windows XP, but it only supports Windows 7?

As I do not want to buy 7 and want to use XP, is there a way around it? Besides going back to Snow Leopard.

Thanks!

DerfBWH

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Simply partition the disk as you'd like with the Boot Camp Utility, and then skip the rest of the boot camp Windows. Put in your Windows XP Install CD. Reboot the computer, holding down option to access the boot menu. Boot into the Windows XP Install CD. Install like normal. When finished, you will have a fully working Windows XP install with no drivers.

Put in your Snow Leopard DVD and use the drivers that came bundled with that. Voila.

Hope this helps!

DaMob

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Haha yeah, figured it out myself.
Should have more patience before I ask for help.

Thanks anyway!

rykket

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Probably stupid question...

Where do you install the drivers from? The XP partition or the Mac OS partition?

I do not have the Snow leopard Install disk, but i guess I can download the needed drivers from Apple support, and install?

macwindowsxp

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2011
this sollution does not work..

I tried that but all it does when i boot the macbook pro with xp install disc is comes up with a screen that says "setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration" and stays on that screen indefinitely without changing unless I manually switch the computer off. what am I doing wrong? All I want is to install xp and NOT windows 7..

thanks

catroom

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
To the person who asked,”Where do you install the drivers from? The XP partition or the Mac OS partition?”

The answer is the XP partition. Remember - DO NOT use the generic Snow Leopard Install disk. Mine did not work out. Use the grey Mac OS Install DVD that came with your computer.

batistuta

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Hm, my boot camp assistant will not allow me to partition the drive - it keeps asking for the Windows installation disk (which is already in the dvd-drive). What to do?

As for the drivers, should I ever make it there, I have a new Mac Mini, so the OS is not on a physical media, thus drivers would need to be downloaded/installed in another way?

mukinduri

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Lion on newest Macbook Pro won't accept XP

I bought a Macbook Pro at the end of October 2011 which had the very latest "upgrade" from Apple which had been introduced a few days earlier.

Even after connecting with a Firewire cable and using an external utility to wipe the hard drive I could not install Snow Leopard (the first step to installing Windows XP). A call to Apple support advised that on the very newest Macs it is not possible to install Snow Leopard. I was advised to buy a computer which had been manufactured before the "upgrade", i.e. September 2011 or earlier.

If you upgrade to Lion on a computer running Snow Leopard with a Windows XP partition I understand XP will continue to work. I'm annoyed that Apple now seems to have teamed up with Microsoft to force Windows 7 onto us. Why does Apple care what we run on our Windows partition?

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
I know you said you don't want 7, but seriously...XP isn't even supported by MS anymore (I don't think).

You're just asking to be attacked, lol.

SouthernAtHeart

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Xp install

Simply partition the disk as you'd like with the Boot Camp Utility, and then skip the rest of the boot camp Windows. Put in your Windows XP Install CD. Reboot the computer, holding down option to access the boot menu. Boot into the Windows XP Install CD. Install like normal. When finished, you will have a fully working Windows XP install with no drivers.

Put in your Snow Leopard DVD and use the drivers that came bundled with that. Voila.

Hope this helps!

...bootcamp utility won't let me partition a place for xp without the windows 7 disk... ???
How DO you do the partition? I chose install winows7, then selected the amount to partition for it, but then it says it needs the disk

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
I know you said you don't want 7, but seriously...XP isn't even supported by MS anymore (I don't think).

You're just asking to be attacked, lol.

I have a system on which I run XP SP2, no additional patches at all!

And yet I'm not concerned at all! That's because the only time I let XP itself out to the Internet was to activate it. Other than that, it works fine OOTB, I don't need any of Microsoft's security patches. I also infrequently enable Internet access for the machine to allow the few Windows programs I run to check for their own updates.

We don't know how the thread starter intends to use XP. If he's behind a firewall, on a non-Microsoft LAN (so XP won't be attacked locally), and doesn't access the Internet using XP, he will be OK.

I'm certainly not about to give MSFT hundreds of $$$s just to upgrade to Win 7, when XP works just fine for what I need it for.

OTOH, if Win 7 dropped the constant check-ins to the mothership just to see if the software is "genuine", and if they only charged $30, then I would be much more willing up upgrade. But that's not their current business model.

marikavs

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
XP on (future) Lion

I'm very interested in these replies because when I get a machine with Lion, this is what I'm planning to do. I have XP Pro with SP3 on my MacBook1,1's Bootcamp partition. The 1,1 can't be upgraded to Lion so I'm running Snow Leopard.
Why would it be that you can "partition the disk as you'd like with the Boot Camp Utility, and then skip the rest of the boot camp Windows. Put in your Windows XP Install CD. Reboot the computer, holding down option to access the boot menu. Boot into the Windows XP Install CD. Install like normal. When finished, you will have a fully working Windows XP install with no drivers." (from DerfBWH's reply) and others can't? That sounds simple enough. Did you try it?
And, I agree with PhantomGremlin's idea. If M$ charged $30 I would upgrade to 7 in a heartbeat. But, as he says, "that's not their current business model."

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
It's going to depend what model/revision the Mac is.

Bear in mind that XP is ten years old. The setup program doesn't understand what an AHCI SATA controller is on the newer Macs as they were invented after XP. Honestly - if you need to run XP, virtualise it.

If you really absolutely must dual boot a ten year old OS on your Mac then you'll need to either :
1) slipstream the AHCI drivers onto the XP DVD
2) find a USB floppy drive and put the drivers on there then use the F6 option when the XP Setup starts.

I'm not going to issue instructions for 1). Google is your friend.

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Using XP instead of 7 mainly depends on what you need to run on Windows.
I only need XP to run a few translation softwares and the latest versions of the industry standard Trados (2007 and 2009) do run on 7, but the previous version (7) is not supported and most companies I work for still use that one.
On top of that the latest versions do not support the translation memories created with the older one, there may be workarounds but you're not that keen on those when it comes to work.

Luckily enough I'm more than happy with Parallels 7 and Fusion 4 and their virtual XP works wonderfully with Lion, especially if you run it off an SSD.
Moreover my Windows images are as small as 4-5 GB which makes them easy to store if anything goes wrong (you never know with Windows) and DropBox, SugarSync and iCloud are your friends when it comes to restoring or recovering files.

Just my two cents

Just my two cents

Dirty Harry

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
Valencia, SPAIN
Is there a way to create a partition in Lion the way Boot Camp did in 10.6, that is, without the need of installing Windows right away???

I am wondering if I could bring a copy of Snow Leopard's Boot Camp and use it in Lion...
Updated: I just tried this... it doesn´t work.

So... any way to create a partition without erasing in Lion, like it was possible in Snow Leopard?

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Could use the Disk Utility to partition it. Then you can format it from there, or boot up through your Windows CD then format it.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Hey everyone. I have a macbook air and can't install windows XP to boot camp... It says "Your bootable USB drive could not be created" "An error occured while formatting the disk.".
I have no external CD drive so I have to do it with USB. The windows XP ISO is 640mb and my USB stick has 2gb.
Any help, people?

edit: Also, the reason I need windows is because mac won't let me install Warcraft 3 because it can't run a ppc application... Any way to circumvent that?

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Also, the reason I need windows is because mac won't let me install Warcraft 3 because it can't run a ppc application... Any way to circumvent that?

Can't you setup some kind of virtual environment and run an older copy of mac os x ( that provides emulation for ppc ) under 10.7?

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Can't you setup some kind of virtual environment and run an older copy of mac os x ( that provides emulation for ppc ) under 10.7?

no clue. But I bet that emulation can't run 3d games (parallels-vmware can't).

ALSO, mac just "destroyed" my flash USB device.
Boot camp couldn't install windows, but it copied some files into it, and now it's non-writtable, which means I can't format it. Neither in windows, nor in mac...

When trying to "erase" the USB disk from Disk Utility I get the error message "Volume erase failed with the error: couldn't unmount disk".

People, I need help over here!

Last edited:

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
no clue. But I bet that emulation can't run 3d games (parallels-vmware can't)./QUOTE]

Have you used Parallels lately? It has very, VERY good 3D gaming performance. I have a very low end Mac (see sig), but I could play games such as Company of Heroes in it.

kar

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
Need to install XP on MAC LION

Should have more patience before I ask for help.

Thanks anyway!

Could you please tell me how you got XP boot camp drivers from MAC LION. IT is very urgent for me

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2010

Hope this helps!

Sounds good but there's a glitch - no way to partition thru Bootcamp without the W7 install disk. All you can do is tell it what size partition you want then it asks for the install disk. It will not recognize the XP install disk.

Thoughts?

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
this is where I am too.

If you just reboot your computer you still never made the partition so I don't know what these other guys are talking about..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.