Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtreath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Hi All;

Yes... I am a noob to the Server world, especially Mac Server and Specifically Lion Server.

I am trying to set up Server in a small office environment (2 users with 2 iPhones, 2 iPads an iMac in the Office and a Mac Book Pro in office and on the road) I have the Lion Server set up on a Mac Mini in the office on a dedicated IP Address.

I have been successful in starting the Calendar and Address Book Services and connecting all the devices to a Shared Calendar, a Shared Address Book and 2 separate user specific Calendars.

Problem is.. I am not sure I have done it right.

issues:

The iMac (using a .local server address) and the MBP (using the ip address) both seem to lose the connection and even the passwords from the Calendar accounts on a regular basis (3 - 5 times a day).

The iPhones and iPads never seem to need the password to be re-entered.

If I add a New Group to the address book account the New Group shows up on all devices eventually, but not the contacts that were added to the group. Why not? I am using One user name on all devices to log into the same Address Book.

Push does not seem to work. I have enabled it, activated a Push Certificate and opened port 1640 on the router. It does not show up as an option available on any of my Mobile Devices, and the fact is, any change to an address or appointment takes up to 15 minutes to populate to the different devices. In other words, on the fetch schedule.

Stupid question.. but one nonetheless... on the server, where is the Calendar and Address Book files stored? In other words, if I wanted to actually edit some of the records or appointments on the Server what do I open or access to do so?

The way I have done it is to add an account in the iCal Program and Address Book Program on the server machine pointing to the .local server address for each of the accounts. Is this the way to do it??

Please help.. I know they are basic questions, but I have gone over the Apple Document for Lion Server Admin and I have scoured different boards. Maybe these questions are just assumed to be understood, but by someone just jumping into Server they are a bit of a mystery.

Thanks,

Jeff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.