Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on a 15" ultra-thin Mac notebook, MacRumors has learned. We aren't certain if it will be called a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro, but we do know that it is already in late testing stages at Apple.

Apple's notebook lineup has received a significant revamp over the past two years, and the introduction of the MacBook Air seems to have finally edged out the low-end MacBook design. While originally priced as a premium product, the Air seems to have found a more mainstream market as its starting price dropped to only $999.

mbathin.jpg

MacBook Air​
Many now expect that Apple's design choices in the Air will eventually make their way to the MacBook Pro product, with the use of integrated SSD and lack of optical drive being the most notable changes allowing for such a thin design. While we don't know for a fact, we expect that any future "ultra thin" laptop from Apple will also dispense with a built-in optical drive. As evidenced by its recent release of the optical drive-less Mac mini, Apple has no problem leaving physical media behind.

The ultra-thin market is also about to get much more competitive this fall as Intel's partners begin launching their Ultrabook notebooks.

The timing of an ultra-thin 15" Apple notebook remains a mystery to us as Apple just revamped the MacBook Air with new 11" and 13" models. Meanwhile the MacBook Pro line was refreshed in February, likely pushing the next release out to at least very late in the year.

Article Link: Apple Finishing Up Work on an Ultra-Thin 15" Notebook

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Highly interested in this model if it comes true. Showing photography on a smaller Air is not much of a solution for me, plus editing files on the fly isn't that enjoyable.

I would honestly be in line for this. It would HAVE to come with FW800 so I could use my existing drives in transition to a (hopefully) Thunderbolt envornment at home.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
If this was true, and I still needed the portability, then I would like the sound of this. If the new MBA's are anything to go by, then we would expect the 15" to seriously shift.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
As long as they keep selling an equivalent 17" with all ports and drives intact, I can see how 15" Air makes sense.

I for one cannot live without dual HDDs one of which is 750Gb and cheap, 3xUSB, Ethernet and Expresscard. (Which happens to be my current setup.)

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
There were rumors back before the latest revamp came out that they were going for a new case design that was much slimmer and lighter. The last MBPro update was more of a speed bump then anything with the Thunderbolt port...nothing major.

I think it's the next logical step for the MBPro.

New case...maybe even new higher resolution screens?

I hope they offer a good enough dedicated graphic card

I wish you could upgrade graphics cards in MBPros and iMacs...it's the one big thing that really hurts those machines. I'd like to update mine every 2 years or so...and the life of the machine is usually 4 years easily.

Uffish Thought

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Finally. A 13" is just too small, and a 15" MBP is too powerful/expensive/heavy for what most needs are...a keyboarded notebook computer.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
The key thing is processing power. If they cut the power to be lower heat then it won't be as compelling as the current MBP 15. But if they are merely getting rid of the optical drive and keeping the processor fully powered... that would be awesome.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
a macbook pro isn't a computer that ought to miss an optical drive. Apple is on an artificial crusade to get rid of optical drives because it will push more people to buy programs and software via itunes and the app store.

this isn't gentle nudging and giving consumers decisions, it is literally telling consumers what to do.

makes me think about windows 8 and what the more consumer friendly windows market and hardware looks like.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
As long as they keep selling an equivalent 17" with all ports and drives intact, I can see how 15" Air makes sense.

I for one cannot live without dual HDDs one of which is 750Gb and cheap, 3xUSB, Ethernet and Expresscard. (Which happens to be my current setup.)

iCloud and Thunderbolt is the writing on the wall. HDD are the new floppy for Apple; they won’t be a singe Mac with a HDD by 2015. The 17" and MacPro line will be the last to go, but go they will.

Tim Cook said last year the MacBook Air was effectively the future of computing for Apple.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
In the end all MBP will have the MBA form factor. Meaning no optical drive and tear-drop shape. They will all have integrated SSD.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I woud never buy a laptop without an optical drive, i don't feel we are at the point where they should be totally phased out. I wouldent want to buy an external optical drive either. I realize I can use another computers drive but much of a hassle especially if I'm out it traveling. That is why I like the fact that they now give you the option with the MacBook air and just the standard MacBook and MacBook pros. And from what I know many students buy the lower end MacBooks and MacBook pros, and I'm telling you it would be a major deciding factor.

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
a macbook pro isn't a computer that ought to miss an optical drive. Apple is on an artificial crusade to get rid of optical drives because it will push more people to buy programs and software via itunes and the app store.

this isn't gentle nudging and giving consumers decisions, it is literally telling consumers what to do.

makes me think about windows 8 and what the more consumer friendly windows market and hardware looks like.

Perhaps. But you can download and install software from all over the web... doesn't have to be through the Mac App store...

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
I woud never buy a laptop without an optical drive, i don't feel we are at the point where they should be totally phased out. I wouldent want to buy an external optical drive either. I realize I can use another computers drive but much of a hassle especially if I'm out it traveling. That is why I like the fact that they now give you the option with the MacBook air and just the standard MacBook and MacBook pros. And from what I know many students buy the lower end MacBooks and MacBook pros, and I'm telling you it would be a major deciding factor.

What does anyone need an optical drive in 2011 for? USB sticks FTW!

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
lol hope Apple doesnt decide to kill the MBP line. I love my Apple computers but if they cripple my MBP anymore than it is already, I won't hesitate to buy a Win machine next time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.