Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chipmullins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Jonesville, Virginia
Hello guys. I currently have a MacBook (Early 2009) A1181. I love this computer to death. It has been running great for 2 years now (since April 8, 2009). I have used this computer daily and now the MacBook is missing lots of keys on the keyboard. Also, the trackpad on the MacBook has chunks taken out of the 'clicker'. This doesn't effect the ability to use the MacBook, but to me it looks ugly and unappealing. I was wondering where I could purchase a new top case for my MacBook. I also would like to know how difficult it is to replace the top case myself. Thanks in advance!

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Everything in the machine bolts to the top case. It's the most difficult replacement there is in that machine. That being said, it's still not particularly bad. It's no Titanium PowerBook G4 or 12" PowerBook G4.

The top case may not necessarily include a trackpad. I don't recall on that model whether it's shipped separately.

stevemacbook

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
Topcase/Uppercase Replacement A1181

Assuming you're talking about replacing the "upper case", the part with the keyboard and the trackpad, it's misleading to say that this is the most difficult repair to make on this machine.

I have this laptop-Macbook Early 2009. And replaced the inverter board cable, which took about 47 steps, the "uppercase" replacement was about 12 steps into the process.

I'm not a computer technician, nor an expert at mechanical repairs, but I can follow simple instructions on how to make simple repairs.

here is a link on the steps:
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Core-2-Duo-Upper-Case/515/1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.