Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
are there any out there for OS X Lion? my old ones dont work with Lion apparently.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
any fix for this?
I cannot find a terminal command and they are now big "NO" signs...circle with diagonal line.

MWhiskerton

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
I would love to know the answer to this question also. I am afraid of the Terminal, though. LOL.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
If you upgrade, I think it messes up, but the method to get them is exactly the same as Snow Leopard. Open the terminal and enter the following commands.

For left side (Application side):
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-apps -array-add '{tile-data={}; tile-type="spacer-tile";}'

For right side (Folder/Trash side):
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{tile-data={}; tile-type="spacer-tile";}'

Every time you enter it a new spacer is added. They won't show up until you reset the dock. Once you've done the command as many times as you want, type:
Code:
killall Dock

and the dock will reset. If you need to add more then just do the commands again. To take them out, drag them out like applications.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If you upgrade, I think it messes up, but the method to get them is exactly the same as Snow Leopard. Open the terminal and enter the following commands.

For left side (Application side):
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-apps -array-add '{tile-data={}; tile-type="spacer-tile";}'

For right side (Folder/Trash side):
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{tile-data={}; tile-type="spacer-tile";}'

Every time you enter it a new spacer is added. They won't show up until you reset the dock. Once you've done the command as many times as you want, type:
Code:
killall Dock

and the dock will reset. If you need to add more then just do the commands again. To take them out, drag them out like applications.

I did some googling and this was all I could find. Not exactly what I had before, but arguably better! I think this is the way to go in Lion.

greeneyestyle

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
!!!Caution!!!

It may just be me, but I ran this and lost control of finder and many functions on my computer. The dock quite and did not restart and would not even after rebooting my computer. I thought I was going to have to re-install os x but managed to find another terminal command that fixed the problem.

I think this may be a problem only with os x 10.8.2 since that's what I'm running. It could also be because I mistakenly pasted the first command and then the killall dock command, skipping the second.

Idk anyways if anyone has a similar problem run the code below in terminal. To do this you may need to open terminal with spotlight using the shortcut command+space and typing in terminal then hitting "enter".

Code:
killall -KILL Dock

Then restart your computer after the screen turns grey and it should be working just fine when you log back in. I hope this helps someone!

P.S. I found the code by searching "killall dock mountain lion" in google and finding this link: http://bencollier.net/2012/08/mountain-lion-dock-stops-showing-active-apps/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.