Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thetof91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I am really confusing..

I know that I wanna get a 13" macbook air... But can not find out if I should take 128 GB version or 256 GB version..

Because I probably going to have 3 OS it, Ubuntu, windows 7 and OS X... So would the 128 GB be enough for all that.. Or only Ubuntu maybe, don't think I need it so much when I got OS X that is Unix based with the terminal and all that :)

Going to use the computer to developer some programs on in Java and so when I am on the move and at the University, have a other computer with much space at my home... So not going to have a so many program on it, only like eclipse and so program...

So back to my question 128 GB or 256 GB, because with MacBook Air you can't upgrade it later yourself, so would be stupid if I really need the space :)

I live in Denmark so the price is a bit more expensive that in USA..

128 GB version: 8623.75 DDK = 1674.38 $
256 GB version: 10558.75 DKK = 2050.08 $
256 GB version with i7: 11236.25 DKK = 2181.63 $

And that is with education discount on 12%...

TheRealHershey

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
265GB. Unless you're planning on having every single bit of your data and a few programs on a external USB HDD...

I have OS X, 10GBs of apps, a couple hundred RAW images, 3 movies and some documents on my MBP, and with just that, I'd be pushing the 128GB. I went with the 256GB. Core i5; the Core i7 really isn't worth it.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
128 GB, this is 2011 where you can store 99% of your things on a home server and access it everywhere. Then you only have to take what you really need on the computer, on a flight for example you can fill your SSD with movies. Music is easily accessed through services like Spotify.

thetof91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
No I am not going to store a lot of photos, music and videos on it.. Got my computer at home to that with over 2 tb spaces.. And on the road I use youtube as music player or my HTC Desire...

So is pretty much only going to have docs, source code to programs I am working on and some few programs...

Also got and iPad that I normal use to watch movies on when I am going on a long trip... :)

The reason I don't know how much space I am going to use is that it is my first Mac :)

I can see here on my windows computer I have used u 129 GB, but that is programs, windows and then some of my download.. And the download is 88,2 GB, that just not have delete from that harddrive yet and moved it over on my 2 TB harddrive...

Also at some point I want to have a NAS at my home, so when I am home I can just access all that kind of things from my MacBook Air too, and don't have to be on it :)

TheRealHershey

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
No I am not going to store a lot of photos, music and videos on it.. Got my computer at home to that with over 2 tb spaces.. And on the road I use youtube as music player or my HTC Desire...

So is pretty much only going to have docs, source code to programs I am working on and some few programs...

Also got and iPad that I normal use to watch movies on when I am going on a long trip... :)

The reason I don't know how much space I am going to use is that it is my first Mac :)

I can see here on my windows computer I have used u 129 GB, but that is programs, windows and then some of my download.. And the download is 88,2 GB, that just not have delete from that harddrive yet and moved it over on my 2 TB harddrive...

Also at some point I want to have a NAS at my home, so when I am home I can just access all that kind of things from my MacBook Air too, and don't have to be on it :)

With that price difference, go with the 128GB. I only went with the 265GB version because of resale. I'm planning on selling this as soon as the 15inch MBP/MBA comes out this winter.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
If you were only going to have OS-X on it, they you would probably be able to get by with 128GB, but if are planning to also install Ubuntu and Win7 on there, you would probably be better off getting the larger drive. I agree with the other poster who said to save some money and battery and stick with the i5 processor.

John566

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
You may find 128GB to be fairly cramped when you split it up for 3 different OS's.

thetof91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Fought at bit about it, and I am not going to have Ubuntu on it any way, just going to have OS X, and then windows 7 in bootcamp :)

Peteyy

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
England, UK
My first post lol,

This will be my first mac and I will be getting it for exactly the same reason as you! Before I saw this I almost posted the same topic.

I think its a very hard decision as I probably need the 256GB drive as I always seem to run out of space, but with educational discount it would be £230 (about $ 377) more for an extra 128GB of space!

If your looking to keep yours for > 1/2 years I would say go with the 256GB

My question is,
Do you think the resale price would be much more say in a years time? Or do you think it's best to keep things cheap now and go with the baseline 13".

Thanks, Peter

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Fought at bit about it, and I am not going to have Ubuntu on it any way, just going to have OS X, and then windows 7 in bootcamp :)

If it's just the two, you can make 128GB work. I had that setup on my 2010 MacBook Air. I even had Windows XP Mode installed on my Boot Camp partition, so in a way I had 3 OSes on it. I went with the 256GB drive this time since I decided to store more media on it.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011

I have an MBA11, 2010 Model, with 128 gigs. I use Parallels to bring up a Win 7 environment. Bootcamp was way too inconvenient to use.

I run Quicken under Win 7 and Office on OSX. Almost no music, videos, photos, etc. and I have 50 gigs free of the 128. So, if you're going to have a lot of music, videos, photos, etc, I recommend the 256 gig SSD.

optmi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
I have the 128

The 128 is perfect for me. I have OSX Lion with Parallels, all my mac apps, and documents/pictures with about 36 gig left free.

I run pogoplug with my 500 gb drive network mapped to my air and that carries most of the weight, i.e. movies, music and things I don't typically need every day.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I currently have 2010 MBA with 128GB, but this is my travel/office Mac. Now that the 2011 is out, I'm looking to replace both the 2010 and my Mid 2007 MBP. I only have 9GB left on my MBA because of the iPhoto Library. I do have an external hard drive, but it is a hassle to plug it in every time I need to work on iPhoto and accessing a large iPhoto Library from a USB drive is not as convenient and fast as with the internal SSD. Eventually I will split up the iPhoto Library and transfer the old photos to the external. However, based on this experience, my workflow, and since I will replace my MBP, I will choose the 256GB for the 2011 MBA.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision. Whatever you get, the MBA is a great Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.