Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
If I boot into Windows via Boot Camp, will I be able to use the external Superdrive?

If yes, can I connect the external Superdrive to a Windows PC?

Also, are there any external Bluray drive that I can use to connect to my MBA? (I know that OS X does not support Bluray currently, so I will boot into Windows in case I need to read a Bluray disc)

Thank you very much for your help! ;)

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
If I boot into Windows via Boot Camp, will I be able to use the external Superdrive?

Yes.

If yes, can I connect the external Superdrive to a Windows PC?

Probably, but I haven't tried it. You will likely need to have the Windows Support software handy if it asks for drivers.

Also, are there any external Bluray drive that I can use to connect to my MBA? (I know that OS X does not support Bluray currently, so I will boot into Windows in case I need to read a Bluray disc)

Thank you very much for your help! ;)

Any USB drive should work as long as Windows supports it. USB is USB.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
Yes.

Probably, but I haven't tried it. You will likely need to have the Windows Support software handy if it asks for drivers.

Any USB drive should work as long as Windows supports it. USB is USB.

Thank you so much! :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Yes, it will work in Windows on your MacBook Air. However, the actual Apple Superdrive will only run on a Mac that does not have an optical drive (i.e. the MacBook Air, the new Mac Mini, or the old Mac Mini Server). Those Macs have USB ports that put out extra power that the drive requires. They won't work on Windows PCs or other Macs. Any other USB DVD will work on a MacBook Air, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.