Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, shopping comparison site PriceGrabber released the results of a survey of nearly 3,000 U.S. online consumers conducted earlier this month, revealing that 35% of respondents intend to purchase the next-generation iPhone. The strong consumer interest comes even as Apple has to yet announce or even acknowledge such a device and with rumors offering conflicting information on what users can expect from the next-generation iPhone.
Anticipation in the consumer electronics world is soaring for the launch of Apple's iPhone 5, which is rumored to be hitting store shelves this fall. PriceGrabber, a part of Experian, just released the results of its iPhone 5 survey, revealing that 35 percent of consumers plan to purchase the latest iPhone upon its release. Of these respondents, 51 percent indicated that they will buy the smartphone within the first year of release, 30 percent will purchase it before the end of 2011, 14 percent will buy it within the first month, and 7 percent will buy it within the first week. Conducted from July 1-11, 2011, the survey includes responses from 2,852 U.S. online consumers.
Apple leads the smartphone pack among the surveyed customers, with 48% of respondents stating that they "prefer" iOS and Android coming in at a distant second place with 19%.

iphone_4_top_corner_view.jpg

For the next-generation iPhone, consumers most frequently cited improved battery life as a key feature they'd like to see, with 59% of respondents selecting the option in the survey. Measuring in close behind at 56% was a lower price point. Other popular desired features include a larger screen and an improved camera.

Interestingly, 46% of respondents indicated that "4G" compatibility is an important feature for the next iPhone, even with a separate survey recently revealing that one-third of current iPhone users mistakenly think that they already have 4G compatibility. The "4G" marketing term has come to embrace both HSPA+ and LTE network standards, and while the next-generation iPhone is expected to feature HSPA+ compatibility, Apple has been said to be holding off on LTE compatibility until more appropriate chips are available.

Article Link: Survey: 35% of U.S. Consumers Planning to Purchase Next-Generation iPhone

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
It makes sense. The fact that iOS is managing to stay competitive with Android, while also costing the consumer a good $100-$200 subsidized, means that people REALLY like iOS. If there was ever a lower priced model subsidized to free, I don't think Android could compete. Many people buy Android for the sole fact that it's a free phone.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Well, I'm not in that 35%, but only because I'm not in the U.S.

I think the iPhone 5 would be a good time to replace my 3GS. But not at any cost, I would love a 64GB phone. Yes, I know iCloud, yadda yadda yadda, but I doubt music will make it to iCloud for Canada and I like carrying lots of music.

Plus I intend on dropping data when my contract expires, I barely use it. Mostly for maps, but I can get day or week passes when I need it.

minderbinder106

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
Misleading Headline

How did you make the leap from 35% of people who visited pricegrabber and agreed to take a survey said they would buy an iPhone 5 to 35% of American consumers will buy the iPhone 5 sight unseen?

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
This is not true.

Actually, it is true. Not everyone buys android because it's free, but many people do. I shouldn't have said "sole fact" though. It's a decent OS too, which is why people will buy it over iOS, but many of those people would rather get iPhones.

MacFreak2011

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
How did you make the leap from 35% of people who visited pricegrabber and agreed to take a survey said they would buy an iPhone 5 to 35% of American consumers will buy the iPhone 5 sight unseen?

They didn't say it was only targeting to pricegrabber customers. It's a survey they conducted, probably using an outside firm that specializes in giving surveys to consumers. We've been learning about companies that do this in my marketing research class

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
AT&T just recently bumped up my full subsidy date from Feb 2012 to Nov 2011, so i'm back in the running :D. iP4 -> iPx!

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Buying with what?

The USA is bankrupt. Use the cash to pay off the national debt.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn

You have a very good point. I think it should read, "35% of people in the market for a smartphone, will buy the next gen iPhone."

tirk

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Wimbledon, UK
I would like 4G even though I don't know what it is :)

It's a scam to allow service providers to charge more. As data rates are currently often limited by the providers infrastructure, providing a bigger pipe to the user will do nothing unless the providers invest in infrastructure too.

Which they won't, as that doesn't look so good on adverts.

:mad:

Tastydirt

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
People should remember that Apple doesn't base its design decisions on "consumer surveys" or "market research".

Most consumers have no idea what they want, and that is why I'm one of their customers.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
No 4G/LTE is a deal-breaker for most people that buy phones unsubsidized.

Seriously, I've had 50Mb/s 4G/LTE since December 2009. And it's STILL not in a new Apple phone. :rolleyes:

That's why Apple will always lose global market share to Samsung/HTC. In addition to the previous no-unsubsidized crap from previous iPhones.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Im on wifi most of the time, so lte isn't all that necessary.

Well that's great for you, but I'm hardly ever on wifi when I'm using my phone for data. I'm either at work (wifi only on one floor out of 24, and it isn't my floor) or out and about. At home, I use my laptop for web browsing. LTE isn't a deal-breaker for me, but I do admit, it would be very nice to have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.