Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The introduction of the iPhone on Verizon contributed a healthy number of iPhone sales, but it was nothing compared to what non-US carriers delivered for Apple.

Horace Dediu at Asymco put together a few charts to illustrate just how big the non-US sales were:

Screen-shot-2011-07-27-at-7-27-3.01.04-PM.png

The yellow line indicates Verizon's 4.5 million iPhone users, while the green line shows AT&T's slight slowdown in sales as the iPhone 4 matured (though even that doesn't show a very steep drop off).

By far the biggest impact is the sales by the rest of the world -- so big was that growth, Dediu points out, that "had Verizon not come on board the business would still have grown year-on-year over 100% (and sequentially)."

Article Link: Most iPhone Growth From Overseas, Verizon a "Small Bang"

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
In black and white then to Apple: Stop delaying iPhone 5 because of a Verizon phone, it's bad business.

everydave

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
In black and white then to Apple: Stop delaying iPhone 5 because of a Verizon phone, it's bad business.

Hrm...you sure it's because of the Verizon iPhone? This article pretty much paints, in black in white (so to speak), that the Verizon iPhone is only a very small part of overall sales. Basing the delay on that the Verizon iPhone seems like the *least* likely explaination for the delay.

Rumors will always be rampant and we may never know why they decided to shift delivery to the traditional iPod release time, but that might answer the question in and of itself. Or it's for some other reason entirely.

But by all means, feel free to call Apple on the carpet for "bad business" based on speculation and rumor, I mean they're not doing so good with running the business as it is, I'm sure your help would be appreciated...:rolleyes:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Hrm...you sure it's because of the Verizon iPhone? This article pretty much paints, in black in white (so to speak), that the Verizon iPhone is only a very small part of overall sales. Basing the delay on that the Verizon iPhone seems like the *least* likely explaination for the delay.

Rumors will always be rampant and we may never know why they decided to shift delivery to the traditional iPod release time, but that might answer the question in and of itself. Or it's for some other reason entirely.

But by all means, feel free to call Apple on the carpet for "bad business" based on speculation and rumor, I mean they're not doing so good with running the business as it is, I'm sure your help would be appreciated...:rolleyes:

Perhaps we should hold a benefit dance for Apple. Or all just send in some donations to keep them afloat. :rolleyes:

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Apple have seen where most of the growth is, and it's only going to grow more as they open iTunes stores in more countries. The world is much bigger than America!

kdarling

macrumors P6
If Apple had introduced the Verizon model before the end of 2009, its sales could've been almost 1/3 of the world total.

However, Apple's extra long exclusive with AT&T allowed the Droids free reign at Verizon for over a year, and let Android (and HTC) get a solid foothold in America.

So... where are the latest Sprint iPhone rumors? Anything? :)

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
1) re: the spurt of growth overseas
its called - "the fake apple store effect"
2) love the name "horace dediu"

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wait let me get this straight, the USA isn't the entire world? U mean that there are other countries out there with more people that actually would have a bigger impact on an American company then the actual united states??!!!

This is blowing my mind, I figured the only thing that mattered was what happened with AT&T and Verizon...

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
One less Verizon customer with the iPhone 5 launch

I'll subtract one from Verizon when the iPhone 5 arrives. And I'm not interested in US Sprint. I'll move over to AT&T.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Verizon iPhone sales are only a small part of total worldwide sales. But how much importance does Apple place on these sales? The US is one of the only countries that did not until recently have multi carrier support. And I think Apple wanted to rectify this situation.

So I think the Verizon sales were important to bring the US inline with the rest of the world to be multi carrier. Cause carriers fighting over your iPhone plan dollars is cheaper plans in the end. And that makes the iPhone more attractive to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Espionage32

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
The Amount of people with iphone 4's in Tokyo was amazing this last time I was there. So this definitely makes sense.

London Lad

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
UK
This news is hardly surprising when you consider that 95% of people DON'T live in the USA and that the West is in recession!

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!

The iPhone still appears to be the best selling phone in the world, why interrupt that? Beside, having iPhone 5 release with all the new feature of IOS5 will create a much bigger impact.

peteitude

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
I see a lot more androids these days than I used to. I think times are changing, although I don't think Apple will be hurting any time soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.