Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big D 51

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Mobile, AL
For a little context, I am 26 years old. I have a decent paying job. I have one decent watch that cost around $800. It is a techno marine. The problem is the band is either black or brown (it's changeable). I am considering purchasing a new watch for when I travel. If I leave the house with the brown band for the week, that means I'm stuck with brown shoes for the week. Therefore, I am wanting to buy me a solid silver watch for occasions like this. Even when I am home, it gets hold changing the bands out depending on what color shoes/belt I want to wear.

I have a few questions regarding this.

1) Who is the best of the best watch carrier? Rolex, Breitling?

2) Should I really spend my money on a very expensive watch? I can't decide so I want to hear other peoples opinion. It just seems a little silly and not too smart to invest $5,000+ on a watch. To me, it seems like a poor investment. Maybe if I was 50 years old+ but not being 26. However, the other side of me says it screw it. I work hard to get where I am at so if I want something I should buy it. What is your thought?

3) If you think I should conserve, what brand watch do you recommend that is still nice but not retarded expensive for a watch?

Thank you for any input.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
1) I'd personally go Breitling over Rolex. But I think that's a matter of taste.

2) Since it's your money, only you can determine whether you should spend it on this. It's not a good investment, IMO, but financial prudence isn't why you buy a nice watch to begin with. If you really want it and can afford it, I don't see what the problem is. The smart choice is to always save your money, but if you always make that call, you'll end up on your death bed with a ton of cash in the bank and nothing to show for it. ;)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I'd go Tag Heuer over Breitling. And Citizen over Tag Heuer.

Citizen makes some very nice watches, very stylish and god quality, in the $200-$300 range. At least, last time I priced them. It was a couple years ago.

Buy something not dissimilar and much cheaper and save the remainder.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
get the watch you already own fitted with a silver band ... save your money

That's a good idea. iJohnHenry also makes a good point when he says it is not what you have but who you are that matters.

Or, perhaps think about selling the one you have, and buy a replacement at a somewhat similar value.

I understand that you have the financial wherewithal, and that it is entirely your right to buy what you want with it. However, apart from the clashing of the watch straps with shoes.......I'm wondering why you feel you need an expensive watch.

Suggestions: Apple QC, as above; get a silver strap. Failing that, get a black one, black goes with everything.

Breitling are splendid watches; they are also massive on the wrist. Rolex are excellent, but perhaps, a bit cliched, in my view. Why not an Omega, something not quite as expensive, but still pretty classy if you want to go down that route?

Cheers

fuzzydunlop

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
For the right watch - yes

I'm the very happy owner of a Rolex Daytona. I was looking for a great watch for 3 or 4 years before I just happened upon it in London. I was just in the right place at the right time, as I'd looked at rolexes in shops and online but never seen one I liked until this one. It's an unusual config in white gold with a black leather strap.

When I saw it it was like a silent alarm went off in my head. I was pretty certain I loved it, and I had the the cash, but I went for a big walk around the city for an hour just to clear my head and think it through.

To me it's very special as it's a reminder of what I'd achieved and where I was in life and business at that time.

codymac

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
The correct term is strap, not band - diehard watch savants may give you grief over that. Additionally, a metal bracelet is shouldn't be worn with a suit although everyone does it (myself included, provided you can get me to wear a suit in the first place).

1) Who is the best of the best watch carrier? Rolex, Breitling?

You have to decide that yourself. If you're a watch guy, you'll find something out there for yourself.

Everyone has preferences. Personally, I like IWC, Omega, & Rolex but don't care much for Breitling or Patek.

If you're looking for yourself, it's a taste thing. If you're looking to impress others... well...

2) Should I really spend my money on a very expensive watch? I can't decide so I want to hear other peoples opinion. It just seems a little silly and not too smart to invest $5,000+ on a watch. To me, it seems like a poor investment. Maybe if I was 50 years old+ but not being 26. However, the other side of me says it screw it. I work hard to get where I am at so if I want something I should buy it. What is your thought?

If you know for certain that you're going to do it eventually, then I always suggest not putting it off. The big manufacturers raise prices almost annually and the prices typically get bumped at least as high as inflation and sometimes quite a bit more. Point being, expect it to be more expensive if you put it off or for the model you're saving for to be discontinued.

Used price trends typically follow suit with desirable models and are sometimes actually higher than new due to availability.

Don't be afraid to go used as well. Most larger cities will have reputable dealers, jewelers, pawn shops, etc. Watch forums will be your best bet for finding these sources - avoid ebay entirely unless you're confident you know what you're doing.

3) If you think I should conserve, what brand watch do you recommend that is still nice but not retarded expensive for a watch?

If you're not a watch guy, go for a nice Seiko or equivalent and pocket the money.

Don't forget that you'll need to check with your homeowner's/renter's insurance to see what coverage limits you have. Without a rider, the coverage can be surprisingly low for watches.

StvenH90

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Florida
I love watches, almost like I do cars. I bought an Omega Planet Ocean, not going to say price... But it's half the price of an comparable Rolex and just as nice. I wear it daily, and truth is most people don't notice it. So don't buy it to impress, buy it because you love it and want something that will outlive you.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Everyone has preferences. Personally, I like IWC, Omega, & Rolex but don't care much for Breitling or Patek.

If you're looking for yourself, it's a taste thing. If you're looking to impress others... well...

If you know for certain that you're going to do it eventually, then I always suggest not putting it off. The big manufacturers raise prices almost annually and the prices typically get bumped at least as high as inflation and sometimes quite a bit more. Point being, expect it to be more expensive if you put it off or for the model you're saving for to be discontinued.

Used price trends typically follow suit with desirable models and are sometimes actually higher than new due to availability.

Don't be afraid to go used as well. Most larger cities will have reputable dealers, jewelers, pawn shops, etc. Watch forums will be your best bet for finding these sources - avoid ebay entirely unless you're confident you know what you're doing.

If you're not a watch guy, go for a nice Seiko or equivalent and pocket the money.

Don't forget that you'll need to check with your homeowner's/renter's insurance to see what coverage limits you have. Without a rider, the coverage can be surprisingly low for watches.

Very good post and very good advice. Agree re IWC, they are elegant watches.

Cheers

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
if you're going to keep it forever, but what you like. if you want to dump it in a year or two, rolex sports models have the best resale value around among that price range and they are easy to move. i currently have 13 rolexes of various sorts and have gone through close to 50 through the years.

omegas are a great value and resale isn't bad. buy a tag or breitling and you'll be lucky to get 50% back if you can sell it.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I'd go Tag Heuer over Breitling. And Citizen over Tag Heuer.

Citizen makes some very nice watches, very stylish and god quality, in the $200-$300 range. At least, last time I priced them. It was a couple years ago.

Buy something not dissimilar and much cheaper and save the remainder.

Yeah, I became a Citizen convert. A few years ago, I bought a Citizen EcoDrive watch from a friend. He bought it on eBay, and didn't really like the look of it when he saw it in person. I've had it for 6 years or so, and other than replacing the band, it has been great. Best of all, EcoDrive means no winding!

sumone

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
$5,000 for a watch! :eek:

Jeez, and my mom freaked when I said I wouldn't mind paying $3,000 for sunglasses when I get older.

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I prefer unique to flashy, so I have a Stowa Antea Kleine Sekunde (~$500). I wouldn't want to spend big bucks on a watch, just to go to happy hour and see 4 dudes wearing variations of the same thing.

post-236-1230375436.jpg

(not my pic, mine is currently on a black croc strap)

Vintages watches are always cool, check out a big dealer or a flea market. I have a nice 1970's manual winding diver watch that I bought in Geneva.

Seiko's Spirit line is really beautiful, unique, and reasonably priced. Check those out too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big D 51

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Mobile, AL
Thanks for all the wonderful input as always. Others feel free to continue to add in if you like.

After reading everything, the smart thing to do is to get a reasonable price watch (citizen or Seiko). One reason being that I am really not a watch guy. I like to look nice, but no one can tell what type of watch that I am wearing unless they look or ask which is has never happen to me yet. I hate to admit, but I think the only reason I am driving towards the rolex is to just say I have one. Maybe its my human nature to want to impress. It is going to be hard, but I think the smart thing to do is be conservative right now. Maybe when I am 40+ may be the time to start blowing more money on stuff like very expensive watches.

I'm going shopping this weekend. I am going to look in all stores and hopefully I'll stick to my plan. I am hoping I put a Rolex on and realize it's no big deal and that I can live without it.

Thanks again.

StvenH90

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Florida
Thanks for all the wonderful input as always. Others feel free to continue to add in if you like.

After reading everything, the smart thing to do is to get a reasonable price watch (citizen or Seiko). One reason being that I am really not a watch guy. I like to look nice, but no one can tell what type of watch that I am wearing unless they look or ask which is has never happen to me yet. I hate to admit, but I think the only reason I am driving towards the rolex is to just say I have one. Maybe its my human nature to want to impress. It is going to be hard, but I think the smart thing to do is be conservative right now. Maybe when I am 40+ may be the time to start blowing more money on stuff like very expensive watches.

I'm going shopping this weekend. I am going to look in all stores and hopefully I'll stick to my plan. I am hoping I put a Rolex on and realize it's no big deal and that I can live without it.

Thanks again.

I also have a Tissot, with an automatic movement. It's not badly price and is pretty nice.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
My most expensive watch was a 25 dollar Casio. It ran for 10 years. I haven't owned a watch in about 15 years. If I have a pressing need to know the time, I just ask someone.

May 8, 2008
A silver band is the way to go. I've got a silver band on my watch and it looks great with dress and casual attire.

Personally, I'll be upgrading from my current watch in a couple of years to an Omega. I'm only 23 and really have no need for an expensive brand at this point in my life. I've had the same Guess watch since junior year of high school and it's worked beautifully.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
$5,000 for a watch! :eek:

Jeez, and my mom freaked when I said I wouldn't mind paying $3,000 for sunglasses when I get older.

$800 for watch? :eek:

Sigh. I live in different world, I guess. Anything more than a good watch that tells time is a piece of jewellery. For $5000 you can have a very nice piece of jewellery custom made that is unique, and that no one else has.

For $5000 you can buy nearly half of the car I drive (bought new).

Of course, because I live in that different world we are now in a house mortgage free.... guess it's just different priorities.

Funny Rolex story.....

Friend of mine used to like to vacation in Thailand or Mexico. Whenever he was in Thailand he would buy 4 or 5 "Rolex" watches... for less than a hundred $$ or so, and bring them back. Whenever he was in Mexico he'd wear one of his Thai Rolex watches at police checkpoints he didn't like the look of. When they wanted their, um, "pay on the spot fine for a traffic ticket" he'd let them have the Rolex instead. He saved a lot of money that way.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Can't remember the last time I wore a watch - I just use my cell phone.

And maybe it's because I'm not a watch connoisseur, but I don't notice fancy watches on people. If you're wearing a $25 Wal-Mart special or a $10,000 Rolex, I'm not going to notice the difference because I simply don't even bother looking at what watch someone is wearing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.