Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I was in Dallas last week and saw this on the side of a parking garage. The whole city was plastered with iShuffle ads - on bus stops and assorted flat surfaces.

This one was 12 stories high.....what about the other things Apple sells?

D

Attachments

• ishuffle1.jpg
    ishuffle1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 292

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Mr. Anderson said:
I was in Dallas last week and saw this on the side of a parking garage. The whole city was plastered with iShuffle ads - on bus stops and assorted flat surfaces.

This one was 12 stories high.....what about the other things Apple sells?

D

Its all about thin end of the halo effect wedge ;) ...oh, and Mac mini supplies are pretty poor...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Doctor Q said:
I suppose Apple picks which buildings to paint at random. ;)

I don't think it was painted - rather draped with a canvas/poster. There were a couple other buildings that had huge ads downtown, but the only requirement that I could see was that there weren't any windows on the side of the building with the ad and it had an unobstructed view for a good distance.

D

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
very cool! i've been seeing more and more of them on the metro here in dc. people are always asking me about it at work because mine doubles as my flash drive :D

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Mr. Anderson said:
I don't think it was painted - rather draped with a canvas/poster. There were a couple other buildings that had huge ads downtown, but the only requirement that I could see was that there weren't any windows on the side of the building with the ad and it had an unobstructed view for a good distance.

D

Hmmmm....the Great Pyramid doesn't have windows, and you have an unobstructed view for quite a ways....

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Today I saw a shuffle billboard with the words "Take a chance on chance... iPod shuffle" and I thought the slogan was clever, but that a percentage of the people driving by it wouldn't know what it meant. They might not all be in the target audience, but I think sometimes Apple is a little too clever in ads, forgetting to tell the masses what these products actually do. Sure, everyone out there has heard the word "iPod", and "shuffle" implies shuffling, and we Mac users know all the details, but I'll bet there are plenty of people who need it spelled out for them a little more plainly.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, iPod is pretty much a given...so if you have any questions or are curious, I guess Apple is leaving it to the consumer to figure out the rest.

But I think I agree it might be a little too subtle....

You'd think if they let people know that its a USB Flash Storage Device that *also* plays songs they'd get a lot more business.

D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
hasn't apple's marketing always been too simple

Think Different
Switchers
Life is Random

i mean they have never really been all about spelling things out for everyone, not that i think they shouldn't, it would helpt people realize the uses of the Shuffle and iPods and help push the halo effect, etc.

i just hope that apple actually starts marketing some of their Computer hardware somewhere down the line, i mean where are the ads for the Mac mini or the new iMac? come on Apple, get going!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.