Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
i was thinking of getting my mother the baseline 16g ipad 2 for her birthday this september. the problem is she is really leery about the cameras. i told her they are only on when you actually turn them on but she is afraid someone will access them and watch her. i tried to tell her usually a light goes on to tell you the camera is on but im not sure if the ipad 2s have this feature. so i was just wondering if there was a way to actually disable the cameras from a setting in the ipad 2. otherwise an ipad 1 may be my only option.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
i was thinking of getting my mother the baseline 16g ipad 2 for her birthday this september. the problem is she is really leery about the cameras. i told her they are only on when you actually turn them on but she is afraid someone will access them and watch her. i tried to tell her usually a light goes on to tell you the camera is on but im not sure if the ipad 2s have this feature. so i was just wondering if there was a way to actually disable the cameras from a setting in the ipad 2. otherwise an ipad 1 may be my only option.

I believe they'd have to be removed completely. I'd just get her an iPad 1...I'm sure you can find a refurb for a very good price. If she's anything like my mom, she won't benefit from the faster processor nor will she care about the design too much.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i have a piece of tape over the camera in my work computer and on my MBP.

Call me paranoid but at least with my work computer I'm sure the IT department could monitor me if they really wanted to.

maybe take sharpie and paint the lens black?

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
she has an ipod touch atm and uses it alot for games and checking her email. so i was thinking of getting her an ipad for a bigger screen. she is sort of afraid of computers. she has a computer but never uses it, she is always afraid she is going to mess something up and make the computer not work anymore. so she uses her ipod touch. she loves it because if she ever is lost or stuck she can use the home button and everything is ok again. so i was thinking it would be easier for her to read her email with the ipad and the screen would be better for games. she plays mostly puzzle games not graphic intense games so maybe your right. an ipad 1 might be ok for her. she actually prefers IOS to windows and lion so i want to get her one of them.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
i have a piece of tape over the camera in my work computer and on my MBP.

Call me paranoid but at least with my work computer I'm sure the IT department could monitor me if they really wanted to.

maybe take sharpie and paint the lens black?

i was considering doing this on my mac pro but a light comes on when the camera is on so i know if someone has accessed it. im still considering it though. the reason is ive been to some websites that have actually accessed my camera and turned it on. it was freaky. it never happened in osx but happened in windows bootcamp.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
let me guess you said wow because you think blocking the camera is paranoid. like ive said ive been to website that have accessed and turned on my camera before. so its not paranoia. you actually see the camera light come on.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I believe they'd have to be removed completely. I'd just get her an iPad 1...I'm sure you can find a refurb for a very good price. If she's anything like my mom, she won't benefit from the faster processor nor will she care about the design too much.

I agree, just get an ipad 1.

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
i know around our area there was a school that gave out laptops (with cameras) to their students; the school IT department was caught spying on the students when they didn't show for school and (as they said) to locate missing equipment.

so yeah, call me paranoid i do place tape on my cameras 'cause i don't trust big brother that much
(in order to be called totally paranoid i wouldn't even surf the web...lol)

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Yes, I worked with someone that did this to his laptop. We were at a place that forbid any type of cameras.

Attachments

• drillbit.jpg
    drillbit.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 309

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
let me guess you said wow because you think blocking the camera is paranoid. like ive said ive been to website that have accessed and turned on my camera before. so its not paranoia. you actually see the camera light come on.

I think there are really easy ways to make sure random websites don't have access to your cameras in windows, that don't require removing the option. I also think that users feel it guys don't have enough to do clearly, if they have time to install monitoring software and try to sneak your webcam on.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow, the light reflecting off all of the tin foil hats in this thread is blinding.

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow, the light reflecting off all of the tin foil hats in this thread is blinding.

i line my tinfoil with newspaper so that it doesn't chaff :D

not so paranoid about websites but i do worry about the company's IT dept...

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
NO, because hackers and deviants are everywhere and encryption doesn't work and IT guys want to see my naked boobies and my pictures of the trip to tahoe are worth stealing and there is no little light and all operating systems are so insecure that 10 year olds can hack them from a TI calculator and and and

People should calm down and start by worrying that their password is 'fluffy123'

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The cameras in the iPad 2 can be disabled via the Parental Controls in the Settings app. For a more complete disabling, a jailbreak is required.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
There is no green light when the camera is operating. Or am I missing something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.