Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:47 PM   #26
res1233
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Big, massive, complex apps with long histories, massive developer teams, and massive testing programs, are slow to change. Maybe all these features are easy to do for Office, as they have been easy with (some) other apps; and maybe no consequences or bugs will result from the changes. Maybe. Or maybe this really is something that needs to be done right, albeit slower than we’d like.

I give Microsoft credit here: they’re not waiting for the next big version, nor playing “wait and see.” I wonder how Adobe’s handling these features....

How do we know that work on these features isn’t partly done, and has long since been in progress? Yes, it’s amazing to think that changing one part of a software program could impact other parts, and that it could take months and months. But that is in fact the case sometimes. Is it the case here, or is the Mac BU just being slow and not caring? The latter might be true, I won’t deny--but I don’t think we have the evidence to accuse them yet.
Fullscreen is so simple to implement, it's stupid, they could have at the very least thrown that in. I don't know too much about autosave or versions though, but I know they're not hard either.
res1233 is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:55 PM   #27
Voidness
macrumors 6502a

You hear that, Adobe?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:02 PM   #28
drewyboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidness View Post
You hear that, Adobe?
*Fingers in ears* LALALALALA! CS6 CS6 CS6 CS6!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:03 PM   #29
CptnJustc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff42037 View Post
Odd Macrumors left out the part that Microsoft is issuing an update to make the programs stable in the next few days. Office 2011 > iWork all day!
Because that's not news. They've been issuing those updates for years.

To be fair, Office for Mac is vastly more stable than Office on my work PC. Though that could well be because my work PC is loaded with a million other over engineered programs and components....
CptnJustc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:05 PM   #30
Voidness
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post
*Fingers in ears* LALALALALA! CS6 CS6 CS6 CS6!
CS6? You're too optimistic.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:06 PM   #31
Epic Xbox Revie
macrumors 6502a

This makes me consider getting iWork... (at least Pages)
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:08 PM   #32
petvas
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to petvas
I am glad that Microsoft is going to offer this update, even if it takes some months before it comes out. Of course I would prefer to have it now, but I didn't really believe that Microsoft would offer such an update.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:21 PM   #33
Giacchino
macrumors newbie

Why iWork, why?

I agree with what many people said, if only iWork was more compatible with Office then I doubt that many people would actually invest in office, as Pages is generally as nicer layout, though Office has a huge focus on features at your fingertips, when will one ever even use half of the tools and features that are on the main ribbon. I don't mind this but when compared to pages and the rest of the iWork apps, I do think about the future and when I can finally upgrade to iWork 11 or 12 whenever that comes out, but if only compatibility wasn't such an issue.
Giacchino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:27 PM   #34
yourstation
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Microsoft, poor effort, why can you not see the benefits of having this ready? Are you really this incompetent? Oh yes, I knew that already.

Ballmer is the worst excuse for a CEO anyone could find for a major organisation. Thy need to get rid of him.
yourstation is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:28 PM   #35
AppleDroid
macrumors 6502

One missing feature

For the love of all that's good add the Selection pane in PowerPoint already. You've been able to rename animation objects forever on Windows and still cannot do it on the Mac.

Honestly do that and I'll upgrade from 2008 to 20XX.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:28 PM   #36
KamuiVII
macrumors member

MS is just slow and thought Lion wouldn't have this many features. I guess the Mac Dev Team was ordered to decode Lion and find ways to put *steal* those features and put them into Windows 8... instead of updating the current products

those who care, iWork 09 has full screen ability just like '11.
KamuiVII is offline   -12 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:30 PM   #37
Soliber
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by res1233 View Post
Completely unrelated, but I just found this picture of steve jobs from the recent keynote at moscone west:
How sweet.
Is that his wife? I've never seen a picture of her *-)
Soliber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:41 PM   #38
Swiss-G
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Odd Macrumors left out the part that Microsoft is issuing an update to make the programs stable in the next few days. Office 2011 > iWork all day!
Communicator update is available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=26835
Swiss-G is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:47 PM   #39
Sky Blue

Outlook 2011 doesn't even have a functioning Junk Mail filter for Exchange accounts yet. Can they work on that first?
Sky Blue is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:51 PM   #40
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
I don't get it... Office 2011 (or at least Word) already has full-screen application support. They make it seem like it doesn't...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EURqXsLfBK8
longofest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:53 PM   #41
Battlefield Fan
Banned

How many months did they have to get a head start? Office is a great product on the Mac but this kind of attitude is why MSFT is losing market share.
Battlefield Fan is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:56 PM   #42
Battlefield Fan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by res1233 View Post
This is incorrect. Mindnode does, in fact the feature was released about the same time as Lion was released. I guess those guys have dev accounts.

I know with certainty that Fullscreen isn't hard to implement now, in fact, that's the whole point of OS-wide support. Same with versions and autosave.

Completely unrelated, but I just found this picture of steve jobs from the recent keynote at moscone west:
How sweet.
Great pic! He's not a heartless monster after all.
Battlefield Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:57 PM   #43
macrumors 65816

I actually see this a good news ... I wasn't expecting that MS will adopt the new features/APIs any time soon (more with the next major version, not as update) ... So I'm glad to see it's coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
I don't get it... Office 2011 (or at least Word) already has full-screen application support. They make it seem like it doesn't...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EURqXsLfBK8
Outlook e.g. does not support Fullscreen.

The Fullscreen in Word is complete different than the Lion Fullscreen - it e.g. does not open in its 'own' space like Lion Fullscreen apps -> gestures to switch between desktops/full-screen-apps do not work correct since it is still treated like a window on the desktop (that just covers everything else up)

Last edited by 0815; Jul 28, 2011 at 04:02 PM.
0815 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:09 PM   #44
Justinf79
macrumors 6502

Meh, I can live w/o those features, as long as it's stable under Lion.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:21 PM   #45
King Flamez1
macrumors regular

love the eloquent interface of iWork and specifically Pages. In my situation, i still require Microsoft Office for my classes as iWork doesn't have the same layout and functionalities that i require. This is a disappointment, but nothing too big

and I'm getting a bit doubtful of iWork '11
King Flamez1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:26 PM   #46
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Not for some of us. For many iWork > Office 2011. It all comes down to what you need. For me I crank out stuff in iWork much faster than Office, but some users need the extra features of Office that I do not so for them Office is a better choice.

Also to everyone saying MS should have had these updates already, software development just isn't that simple. Larger programs that do a lot of different things will have a harder time getting updates pushed. Just because there was a developer preview of Lion doesn't mean it was feasible for many companies to take advantage of it. Lots can change during a dev preview so many wait until preview 3 or 4 to start getting programs ready.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:37 PM   #47
winston1236
macrumors 65816

of course microsoft didnt want their software to work, that would have made lion look better by it having one less problem
winston1236 is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:38 PM   #48
macbwizard
macrumors 6502

I remember when they said the same thing back when Office was incompatible with Spaces. It ended up taking years for it to be resolved.
macbwizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:50 PM   #49
winston1236
macrumors 65816

apple should buy Microsoft
winston1236 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:51 PM   #50
diamond.g
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
apple should buy Microsoft
Apple is a hardware company... what would they do with a software company?
diamond.g is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion