Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hitman1717

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
I believe I was able to use HandBrake to convert a video for viewing on the ATV2. I can see it's a lengthy process, so I want to choose a few at a time. How do I select multiple files to convert? How many can I do at once?

Nov 28, 2010
located
You can do a queue, but that still requires you to select one file, apply the preset, add to queue and then add another file and apply a preset and add to the queue.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
You can do a queue, but that still requires you to select one file, apply the preset, add to queue and then add another file and apply a preset and add to the queue.

Handbrake remembers the last preset and other settings. If a bunch of files require the same settings, it's as simple as selecting each one and clicking the Add to Queue button.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Handbrake remembers the last preset and other settings. If a bunch of files require the same settings, it's a simple as selecting each one and clicking the Add to Queue button.

Yep it does. But do you know of any way to add a folder to it instead of selecting every single file selectively?

Hitman1717

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
I was able to load up a whole bunch through the "Add to Queue" option. Thanks. It does take quite a while though!

Bazzy

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Hi All,

Very sorry to hijack this thread but I also have a relevant question! I am a noob & will be using HB for the first time! I have so far put 6 movies in the queue.

I have a June 2010 17" 2.66 i7 UMBP that is my sole computer. When I started HB on the first movie, my UMBP went crazy & it really freaked me out - both my Processors both very quickly maxed out at 100% (as per iStatpro) & Activity Monitor showed CPU's at 384%!!! Furthermore, the temperature of my notebook started to also rise very quickly & soon reached around 100⁰C at which point I got scared & shut HB off!!

I would like to ask is this behaviour normal when using HB - to have such massive & maxed out CPU% usage? I understand HB can take a very long time to convert stuff & many just queue the movies up & let HB run throughout the night. If I do this on my UMBP, it would mean that it be be running for up to 10-12 hours every night at temperatures that are constantly at or well above 100⁰C & I am very concerned that this may cause components inside the notebook to get damaged - especially as I plan on using HB night after night as I have many hundreds of movies to convert!

If anyone can shed some light or advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Bazzy!

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
@ Bazzy's question above,
HandBrake is very, very processor intensive; it is common to see high CPU usage during long HandBrake sessions.

On the machine you've quoted, you can expect 25-30 minutes per full-length feature movie. So yes, let it run for several hours (perhaps not overnight) in a relatively cool spot.

Last edited:

Bazzy

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
@ Bazzy's question above,
HandBrake is very, very processor intensive; it is common to see high CPU usage during long HandBrake sessions.

On the machine you've quoted, you can expect 25-30 minutes per full-length feature movie. So yes, let it run for several hours (perhaps not overnight) in a relatively cool spot.

Hi,

Many thanks for the help - I understand now that as HB is extremely CPU intensive, one can expect high CPU numbers but as a consequence, my notebook will be subjected to those very high temperatures for long periods of time - will that likely be an issue or cause damage to components inside as it is a notebook & not a desktop with better cooling? The high temperatures for long periods on a notebook are my main concern now!

Regards,

Bazzy!

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Hi,

... will that likely be an issue or cause damage to components inside as it is a notebook & not a desktop with better cooling? The high temperatures for long periods on a notebook are my main concern now!

If you're concerned about high temperatures, then I would advise you to queue up two or three movies at a maximum, and let the MBP do its work in a cool room. The MBP's unibody aluminum is essentially one big heat sink, so it wouldn't hurt to run a small desktop fan on low setting across it while it works.

Unfortunately, this means that your movie conversion project will take longer to complete, and you'll want to prioritize your conversions.

Bazzy

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
If you're concerned about high temperatures, then I would advise you to queue up two or three movies at a maximum, and let the MBP do its work in a cool room. The MBP's unibody aluminum is essentially one big heat sink, so it wouldn't hurt to run a small desktop fan on low setting across it while it works.

Unfortunately, this means that your movie conversion project will take longer to complete, and you'll want to prioritize your conversions.

Hi Again!

Many thanks indeed - I will do as you advise & only do a couple of movies at a time & try to provide some extra form of ancillary cooling - I have a many hundreds of movies to do (want to get away from physical media) so it will take a very long time!

Bazzy!

Inopia-Vi

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Lost in space
Hi,

Many thanks for the help - I understand now that as HB is extremely CPU intensive, one can expect high CPU numbers but as a consequence, my notebook will be subjected to those very high temperatures for long periods of time - will that likely be an issue or cause damage to components inside as it is a notebook & not a desktop with better cooling? The high temperatures for long periods on a notebook are my main concern now!

Regards,

Bazzy!

I got a 2011 i7 MBP a few weeks ago and I took the time to rip my entire DVD library.

-Yes, the CPU usage can go up to 800% when turbo boost is on
-Temp goes up to 83 celcius in my case

Since the MBP shut off when CPU hits 130 celcius, 80 is not to be afraid of..

What you can do, is put the mbp on a stand or on a slab of glass so the air flows in. Take note that the battery will run for about an hour so the power adapter MUST be plugged (That raise the temp unfortunately)

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
1. you can scan a folder of "flat" source files and they will all be put into the titles drop down in the ui and from there can easily be moved into the queue (otherwise known as 'batch scanning'). Note: this is only one level deep so will NOT work with a folder of pre ripped dvd's.

2. Yes, HandBrake will soak all of the cpu it can. Video processing is extremely processor intensive. If you are seeing processor temps in excess of 100C you have an issue with your system. HandBrake is just revealing an underlying problem. Temps in the 80C range is normal for any healthy current mbp with all processor cores maxed out. When all is working properly your processors will become 'underclocked' when the temps rise too high.

Bazzy

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
I got a 2011 i7 MBP a few weeks ago and I took the time to rip my entire DVD library.

-Yes, the CPU usage can go up to 800% when turbo boost is on
-Temp goes up to 83 celcius in my case

Since the MBP shut off when CPU hits 130 celcius, 80 is not to be afraid of..

What you can do, is put the mbp on a stand or on a slab of glass so the air flows in. Take note that the battery will run for about an hour so the power adapter MUST be plugged (That raise the temp unfortunately)

Hi!

Many thanks - good to know there is another UMBP user also using HB - although your's is newer & better than mine!! I will do as you say - my thoughts were just as you say - to raise the UMBP so that air can flow underneath as well & I will make sure I will keep it plugged in!

I was also thinking (like noobs do!) of possibly putting the UMBP on a frozen gel pack with towelling on top so it would stay quite cool for at least a couple of hours hopefully or is that taking things too far?

Bazzy!

Bazzy

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Hi!

Please forgive my lack of knowledge & novice level on these matters!

1. you can scan a folder of "flat" source files and they will all be put into the titles drop down in the ui and from there can easily be moved into the queue (otherwise known as 'batch scanning'). Note: this is only one level deep so will NOT work with a folder of pre ripped dvd's.

I'm afraid you kinda lost me there - sadly I am at idiot novice level when it comes to understanding computer tech language - any chance you can explain this at my novice level?!!!

2. Yes, HandBrake will soak all of the cpu it can. Video processing is extremely processor intensive. If you are seeing processor temps in excess of 100C you have an issue with your system.

This has me a little worried! Can you kindly tell me what sort of issues one might have if temps go above 100C then? Will it cause any permanent damage to my laptop or system? What can one do to counteract this?

HandBrake is just revealing an underlying problem. Temps in the 80C range is normal for any healthy current mbp with all processor cores maxed out. When all is working properly your processors will become 'underclocked' when the temps rise too high.

Again, sadly I do not have the tech knowledge to understand the last sentence but is there anything I can do (apart from keeping UMBP in a cool place) to try & ensure the system runs at about 80C range when HB is running? This would be to avoid the issues you stated would happen if temps ran in excess of 100C!

Many Thanks!

Bazzy!

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
Underclocked means that the processor slows down (and runs cooler). Try the time-honored technique used by overclockers forever: blow in it with a fan. (works for Tara Reid in The Big Lebowski :D)

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Hi Again!

Many thanks indeed - I will do as you advise & only do a couple of movies at a time & try to provide some extra form of ancillary cooling - I have a many hundreds of movies to do (want to get away from physical media) so it will take a very long time!

Bazzy!

If you have hundreds of movies to convert, I think you may soon get tired of putting all that load on your laptop. As you have seen, the laptop gets hot, the fans run loudly and the system becomes less responsive for other tasks.

I solved this problem by putting together a cheap, but high-performance PC which I use primarily for transcoding videos. I used it as exercise to build my own PC for the first time. It was a pretty simple and rewarding project. The hardware only cost about $300. It uses a quad-core 3 GHZ AMD processor. Although this processor costs a mere $100, it should outperform the 2.66 GHz dual core i7 in your laptop.

My process for converting DVD's (and Blu-Rays) is to first quickly rip the disks (without transcoding) using MakeMKV. (I bought a second $20 internal DVD drive to speed this up.) Then, I queue a bunch of movies up in Handbrake and let it do it's thing (often overnight). Finally, I use MetaX to add nice iTunes friendly tags and cover art to the files.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
(I bought a second $20 internal DVD drive to speed this up.)

I second this piece of advice from KevinC867, with a slight modification. Bazzy, you may want to invest in a USB external DVD drive, to save wear and tear on the one inside the MBP. Besides, Apple's built-in DVD drives are often "riplocked", meaning they won't read commercial DVD movies at their maximum data rates. An external will most likely be faster, and if it breaks down during your project, you'll still have full use of your MBP.

Bazzy

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Hi All,

Once again, many thanks for all the links & tips! I am so grateful for the help - I never thought for once second about getting a cheap second desktop to to the job but it does sound like a really good idea as it means I can dedicate it to just doing the H/B conversions & use it both day & night!

I have no idea what to get & certainly would not know how to build a computer but if it is a "Monkey See, Monkey Do" kind of thing, then I might just get away away with it - after all most components are the slot in type are they not or does one need to bring the soldering iron out (I still have one!) Any advice on what to get & where to start? Would buying a used desktop also be an option & does it have to be a Mac or can it be a PC?

Trouble is I, literally have over a thousand movies & was worried that would just hammer my UMBP (which is my pride & joy!).

I will try HB on my UMBP for now but as have been advised, just a couple of movies at a time while I look for a decent USB external DVD to buy & then use that as has also been advised - any particularly good ones I should get? I am in the UK if that matters!

You guys are awesome - thank you so much!!

Bazzy!

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Quick question:
I have a mid 2010 15" i5 MBP that i use in Clamshell Mode with a 27" ACD. When processing with HB, should I "open" the MBP from it's Clamshell Mode to let some heat escape? I recently had to have my Logic Board replaced and i'm wondering if the faulty board had to do with heat from Clamshell Mode...
My temps are running in the mid 80's to low 90's when running HB with a 720p video...

I don't do a whole lot of HB processing, but I do use it weekly to process 4 or 5 video files for AirPlay to my ATV2...

Thanks for any information pertaining to this "heat" issue

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Hi All,

Once again, many thanks for all the links & tips! I am so grateful for the help - I never thought for once second about getting a cheap second desktop to to the job but it does sound like a really good idea as it means I can dedicate it to just doing the H/B conversions & use it both day & night!

I have no idea what to get & certainly would not know how to build a computer but if it is a "Monkey See, Monkey Do" kind of thing, then I might just get away away with it - after all most components are the slot in type are they not or does one need to bring the soldering iron out (I still have one!) Any advice on what to get & where to start? Would buying a used desktop also be an option & does it have to be a Mac or can it be a PC?

I decided that what I wanted for a transcoding compute server was the cheapest quad-core system I could find. I was frustrated to find that most manufacturers didn't seem to offer bare-bones quad-core systems. Once the CPU got to that level, they usually added cost in other areas like video cards.

Then I found this article which showed me how to build a truly bare bones PC. (Most people will probably save themselves a lot of hassle by ignoring the reference to Linux and just loading Windows on the hardware.) Starting with this $200 system as a base, I only had to add a little more than $100 to create a very good compute server. Specifically, I upgraded the processor to a quad-core 3 GHz AMD Athlon II, bumped the Ram to 4GB, increased the hard disk to 1TB, added a $20 DVD drive, and substituted a different case and a 500 W power supply for the cheapo integrated case/PS. This was all easily accomplished on the NewEgg.com website. No soldering iron was required - just a screw driver. ;)

If you're not comfortable building a system, just search out the best deal you can find on a quad-core system. I recently came across a pretty good coupon deal on a Dell Vostro i5 based system. It brought the $600 base price down to about $450. That deal seems to have expired, but I'm sure others are out there if you keep searching.

Keep in mind that one reason that my home-built system was so cheap was that I already had a spare windows 7 license. If you're not in the same position, a "store-bought" PC provides about $100 in extra value from the Windows 7 Home Premium license that it probably includes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.