Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
I bought Lyon for my 2010 11" 2/64gig macbookair, Now I am selling it. Do use the restore key and then get to re-download Lyon on my next Air or Pro that I get? Or do I just let it go with my Air, and re-buy it if I need it. (new comp. might allready have it.

Amberfool

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Well if your buying a new mac then it will already have lion on it, and if your buying an old mac, then you can just sign in to the MAS with the same Apple ID, and re-download Lion from there without having to re-buy it. ;)

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
Thanks

Well if your buying a new mac then it will already have lion on it, and if your buying an old mac, then you can just sign in to the MAS with the same Apple ID, and re-download Lion from there without having to re-buy it. ;)
One more quickie. Do I leave the installed Lyon on the one I am selling? Or wipe it clean back to SL

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
One more quickie. Do I leave the installed Lyon on the one I am selling? Or wipe it clean back to SL

You do not "own" Lion to sell. Apps purchased from the App Store are "licensed" to you and are non-transferable.

Not to mention that unless the buyer of your Mac logs in to the App Store with your user and password, they will not be able to update the OS or reinstall it if need be.

You should absolutely wipe it and set it up with Snow Leopard.

See here for some good tips on getting it back to factory condition for resale.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
^^^
That actually brings up an interesting point.. What happens when one inevitably sells a Mid-2011 Mac? Would they just clean install Lion from the online recovery portion since there aren't any discs?

Antowns

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
You do not "own" Lion to sell. Apps purchased from the App Store are "licensed" to you and are non-transferable.

Not to mention that unless the buyer of your Mac logs in to the App Store with your user and password, they will not be able to update the OS or reinstall it if need be.

You should absolutely wipe it and set it up with Snow Leopard.

See here for some good tips on getting it back to factory condition for resale.

He's not selling the license, the license is tied to the system that he bought it for which he is selling. If the OP is buying a new Mac he'll get a fresh new copy of Lion. It will also be pretty difficult if you don't provider the person who buys the Mac with a custom made restore disk as reformatting from the Recovery HD partition requires authentication via the App Store.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
He's not selling the license, the license is tied to the system that he bought it for which he is selling. If the OP is buying a new Mac he'll get a fresh new copy of Lion. It will also be pretty difficult if you don't provider the person who buys the Mac with a custom made restore disk as reformatting from the Recovery HD partition requires authentication via the App Store.

But the machine he's selling came with Snow Leopard. He purchased the license for Lion as an upgrade and I'm fairly certain he cannot sell it with the machine since it is non-transferable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.