Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mock-500x280.jpg

Mockup created by bikr
If new images of purported iPhone 5 cases obtained by 9 to 5 Mac are to be believed, it appears that the next-generation iPhone will offer a somewhat longer and wider form factor than the iPhone 4. The cases also reiterate other apparent changes such as the mute switch being moved to the opposite edge of the device and the form factor including a very slight "teardrop" design and rounded edges.

iphone_4_iphone_5_case_comparison.jpg

The most important change certainly appears to be the size, although it is difficult to say for certain just how much bigger the iPhone 5 would be than the iPhone 4 based on these cases, given that only exterior case dimensions and not interior dimensions are known.
Our new images are clear and there are appears to be a slight - not major - tear drop in the design. The case goes thick to thin from top to bottom. In addition, the sources who provided us with these two new cases have shared some dimensions. According to them, the case is 5 inches tall and 2.8 inches wide. These are tight cases so the iPhone 5 dimensions should only be a few millimeters smaller than those numbers. For comparison, the iPhone 4 is 4.5 inches tall and 2.31 inches wide.
A larger form factor naturally points toward Apple using a larger screen in the new iPhone, a claim that has been made by a number of sources. It is unclear, however, how Apple would deal with potential issues related to screen resolution, either keeping the same pixel density and increasing pixel count by a small amount or decreasing the density and maintaining the same 960x640 resolution.

Article Link: New iPhone 5 Cases Suggest Longer and Wider Form Factor

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
If true, that seems like a much bigger jump in size than what you'd expect from Apple.

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
Here Apple take my money already!!!! I been waiting 4.5years for my first iPhone and im so ready.:apple:

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I could see Apple doing this. Steve is all about making things thinner, he doesn't care about the rest of the size so much -- guess his wife taught him it's the thickness that matters? :eek::)

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
green_silicone_iphone_5_case_2-500x283.jpg

green_silicone_iphone_5_case_1-500x375.jpg

That was the case we saw a few days ago. Both have an open hole on the right (for probably the mute switch) though...

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I wouldn't mind it being slightly larger to accomodate an enlarged screen, but I don't want it to be the same size as some of the Android handsets out there right now. A coworker was showing me her new HTC Thunderbolt, and it is ridiculously large. I'm not really interested in something that large.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
hmm, think I can jump on this one - the Box look did not do it for me, hold on to the 3GS till they change it.

xFenixKnightx

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
As a Samsung Galaxy S owner I am VERY happy Apple is finally going with a larger screen. I think 4" is perfect. My Fascinates 4" screen is just right. EVO's 4.3" is too big IMO and iPhones 3.5" is just too small.

Huzzah! Finally, Apple has a phone I can get down with. =D

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
Headphone jack at the top? Space for a flash? Mute switch?;)

Could be for the NEW iPod touch. We know what the current iPod touches have and don't have but we are not sure what the new ones will look like. If the rumors that the updated iPod touches will have 3G are true I would assume a complete redesign.

armadillo

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Makes perfect sense if you want a thinner phone but retain battery capacity, you increase width and height slightly. I bet pixel count will remain the same with almost 4 inch screen. Perfect. I'm so getting this.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
This is very very very very very very very bad if true! I just got the tape measure out and saw just how much bigger half an inch is!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sorry but no way and no thanks. I would settle for a 3.7" screen, 4" really pushing it, but if Apple's gone the 4.3" plus router, not for me.
I like a MOBILE phone, not a bloody HD telly in my pocket! And I would even go as far as to say it would turn potential buyers away if it's too big.

Hmm, that Sony Ericsson Ray is looking better....

Last edited:

andreiru

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Kurgan, RF
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

They'd have to work real hard to make me like the new one more than an iphone 4.

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
I wouldn't mind it being slightly larger to accomodate an enlarged screen, but I don't want it to be the same size as some of the Android handsets out there right now. A coworker was showing me her new HTC Thunderbolt, and it is ridiculously large. I'm not really interested in something that large.

I wonder, following Apple's foray into cases with the Bumper last year, whether they will start offering trousers and jeans with an iPhone 5 pocket come September for this new form factor? :D

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like it. I like the shape of the current one, and would go towards something more rounded than that shape. I also don't like it getting bigger, unless the extra size, and less unusable space, makes the screen significantly different in size.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I have a good personal friend of mine who works at Apple Corporate. He's been hinting for quite some time now about a larger and longer iPhone.

These pictures seem to correlate with what he has told me. Hope it comes true.

xFenixKnightx

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
How do we know this case isn't for a new iPod touch?

My sons iPod Touch 4th gen is much thinner and smaller than an iPhone 4. So of course his case is even smaller. Why would they make the new iPod much bigger if they weren't increasing the screen size? This is an iPhone case. An iPhone with a bigger screen. Oh Happy day!

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
This is very very very very very very very bad if true! I just got the tape measure out and saw just how much bigger half an inch is!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sorry but no way and no thanks. I would settle for a 3.7" screen, 4" really pushing it, but if Apple's gone the 4.3" plus router, not for me.
I like a MOBILE phone, not a bloody HD telly in my pocket! And I would even go as far as to say it would turn potential buyers away if it's too big.

Hmm, that Sony Ericsson Ray is looking better....

0.5" diagonal bigger doesn't mean 0.5" bigger length.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
My sons iPod Touch 4th gen is much thinner and smaller than an iPhone 4. So of course his case is even smaller. Why would they make the new iPod much bigger if they weren't increasing the screen size? This is an iPhone case. An iPhone with a bigger screen. Oh Happy day!

I have heard rumors that the updated iPod touches will have 3G. If this is true I would assume a complete redesign to accommodate the 3G chips.

SoSquidTaste

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
I have a good personal friend of mine who works at Apple Corporate. He's been hinting for quite some time now about a larger and longer iPhone.

These pictures seem to correlate with what he has told me. Hope it comes true.

Hahahah

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
i totally agree for the ipad 2 back.it would be so cool if the refresh of the devices(iPhone and iPod touch) have this back!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.