Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

5988751085_8df7475745.jpg

MICGadget reports that the early iPhone 5 case are "now everywhere" in China. The site has posted another gallery of these case designs which show a mute switch on the opposite side of the device.

The design is also said to be slightly larger than the existing iPhone 4 and has a slight tapering from top to bottom in thickness. This particular design was originally reported by ThisIsMyNext back in April. At the time, we had expressed doubts about it due to our own tipster about the validity of the design. But, now, we with the influx of these case designs, we have to reconsider.

It's clear that some Chinese case manufacturers are confident enough in these designs that they are starting to mass produce these cases. As we've said before, there is a massive financial incentive for companies to have case designs for new Apple products ready on launch day. In fact, three people were sentenced to prison in China for leaking details of the iPad 2 case design prior to its launch.

As frequent as these case leaks are, it's notable that they have been remarkably accurate in the past. The iPad 2 cases, of course, were quite accurate. iPhone 3G cases were real, as were 6th Generation iPod Nanos, and 5th Generation iPad Nanos. Not all case leaks turn into actual products, however. The iPhone Nano never came to be, and the iPod Touch with Camera cases were a full generation early.

Apple is expected to launch the iPhone 5 is September on this year.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Cases are 'Everywhere' In China

fluffylion

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
dont really like the tapered style for such a small device. iphone4 looks nice

then again. doesnt effect me. i think mobile phones are junk, and the majority of people dont actually need one. but they have developed some sort of disease where they think they cant function without one.

i wish my marketing skills were as top as the guy/gal who kicked started this obsessive market.

edit: even worse is the shiny/reflective finish which will likely cross-over from the ipodTouch :|

roznstyle

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Tapered design? Please say it isn't so. Holding the phone in landscape will feel lopsided. There are soooooo Manu bootleg apple products mare in china who knows what's real.....except Steve.

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
seems a lot more probable to be a next gen iPod Touch case instead...

but enough of these case shots, when can we get some clear iPhone 5 shots from Mr. Blurrycam?

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
dont really like the tapered style for such a small device. iphone4 looks nice

then again. doesnt effect me. i think mobile phones are junk, and the majority of people dont actually need one. but they have developed some sort of disease where they think they cant function without one.

i wish my marketing skills were as top as the guy/gal who kicked started this obsessive market.

edit: even worse is the shiny/reflective finish which will likely cross-over from the ipodTouch :|

Agreed. I have a desire hd but not because i need it and the plan is pay as you go plus i pay $10 a month for unlimited data. People in the US without a dime to their name are rockin iphones with $80 a month contracts and when the US plunges into a depression in the near future due to your crap government it will be the lat thing the repo man will be able to pry away lol.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore

And then there's the rest of us, with friends, business to conduct, etc.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
That's what the article says.

Remember, it's still just a rumor. I'm guessing that 95-98% of Apple rumors end up being false. In any case, Apple has moved buttons around before; it's not without precedent. The sleep button on the iPod touch moved from the left top to the right top with the iPod touch 4.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Perhaps this is the China only model that there were rumours of. :)

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Perhaps they are going to an iPad-style mute/rotation lock switch and it doesn't fit on the same side as the volume rocker?

fluffylion

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
And then there's the rest of us, with friends, business to conduct, etc.

lol. yeah man... people the 90s/80s and before were all lonely losers who didn't have any friends.

business? what business do you do which requires a mobile phone? unless you have a low-grade job which requires on-call immediate start working conditions to keep a paycheck, you don't.

As a marketer for UMG, and on contract for Polydor, and AVEX. NO executive will text message you anything, and anywhere you go, one of the first things which are said is "put your phone on silent or get out".

It seems to me, all these "social things" for "friends" don't actually go anywhere and sit on FB and text message each other what they ate for lunch

edit: but dont misunderstand me. people like me love mobile phones and FB. we are taught and encouraged to embrace those markets, as it is super-cheap marketing with high-yield rates to suck money out of the fools with our dirty tricks :p

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.