Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunespreviews.png

Apple seems to have extended iTunes song previews to 90 seconds internationally. Apple first rolled out 90 second previews in the U.S. back in December, 2010. International song previews had been stuck at 30 seconds.

According to a number of reports, the new preview lengths are available in at least Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK and parts of Europe. As with the U.S. launch, not all songs will have 90 second previews.

In the U.S., Apple had made the change unilaterally in an email to labels telling them that they would automatically extend previews from 30 seconds to 90 seconds in the iTunes Store in the U.S. It's unclear what was the reason for the delay for international markets.

Article Link: Apple Extends iTunes Previews to 90 Seconds Internationally

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I've just been testing this out - and while there are now some 90 second previews in the UK store, a good proportion still seem to be 30 seconds.

Beatles, Beyonce, Iron Maiden were 90 seconds, ABBA, Queen, Metallica 30 seconds (just some random things I checked!).

andrewh93 - check 'Hey Jude'

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
It took longer because Apple has to wheel and deal with the labels who are dragging their feet.... trying to figure out a way to extort more money for 60 more seconds of preview...

andrewh93

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
I've just been testing this out - and while there are now some 90 second previews in the UK store, a good proportion still seem to be 30 seconds.

Beatles, Beyonce were 90 seconds, ABBA, Queen, Metallica 30 seconds.

Oh yes - I just checked Beyonce - Best Thing I Never Had and it is 90 seconds.

The one I tested (Super Bass, #1 on the charts) was still 30 seconds.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not really sure how much this will effect sales. Don't most people use the preview to confirm its the song they are looking for?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Sure, why not? You can get a good idea of a song in 30 seconds - I don't think this is going to make a whole lot of difference.

Single songs are pretty cheap.

I guess, but I'd prefer to listen to the whole song at least once before buying it

Vazkor

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2006
90 seconds in Italy too. Do you think they will eventually update every song with the new preview?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Just what Adele needs, more bloody promotion! :p

I just picked the #1 song off the list. :)

Not really sure how much this will effect sales. Don't most people use the preview to confirm its the song they are looking for?

It's good for music discovery. I was looking at some albums the other day, and trying to find some new music... so the 90 second previews were nice.

arn

Last edited:

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
90 second previews are very important for the discovery of dance and electronic music, especially, as the tracks tend to be much longer than your average pop song. A 30 second sample often doesn't do a track justice so these new longer previews are especially welcome for me.

jjayoen

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010

Beatles, Beyonce, Iron Maiden were 90 seconds, ABBA, Queen, Metallica 30 seconds (just some random things I checked!).

andrewh93 - check 'Hey Jude'

I can second this for the Australian store. Just checked some songs from those artists and some still have 30 second previews.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Do people use the previews to determine if they like the song or not? I would think for the majority of the time previews are played to confirm it's the correct song they want.

On the other hand, 90 seconds is nearly half the song for most songs, so why not...

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Sure, why not? You can get a good idea of a song in 30 seconds - I don't think this is going to make a whole lot of difference.

Guess again. It all depends on where the clip is selected. Too many are from extended intros and non-singing portions of songs where you really have no idea what the song really sounds like.

Scrumper

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2010
Great Britain
It all depends on where the clip is selected. Too many are from extended intros and non-singing portions of songs...

That's a very good point. It seems that no consistency or judgement is employed when selecting clips. I know it would take a little more effort but as long as somebody is doing the selecting, it might as well be somebody with some common sense. :rolleyes:

cozmot

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, DC

Single songs are pretty cheap.

There are some songs that after 30 seconds you have no idea what they're about. Ninety seconds, for any song, will let you know.

Mikkis

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
Nice but

Maybe they could also implement iOS emulator inside iTunes so you could also try apps before buy.

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
30 seconds in Finland. 90 seconds will be welcome, if it ever arrives here.

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Maybe Apple are testing their servers for a forthcoming streaming service? seems like a good way of gradual stress testing?

Can't see this coming for at least another year though, and with all the cash that Apple has sloshing around I really don't see why they just did not buy up Spotify and have done with it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.