Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
I fully agree with the "personal responsibility". It was Apple's fault to take the extra money, so they must take responsibility and put it all right.

Yes but it was his fault also. Credit card!, Credit card!, Credit card!

figaro331

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple has started refunding users who were charged multiple times for their Lion purchases. We reported last week on a user whose checking account was drained of nearly $4,000 when he was charged 122 times for Lion. The email above was sent to a user who was charged 8 times.

John Christman, the user who was charged 122 times was eventually made whole:
Other users who were double charged may see similar emails soon.

Article Link: Apple Begins Refunding Lion Overcharges

I feel really sorry for John Christman and I have only one suggestion : Please, cancel all of your outrageous, despicable paypal accounts forever and ever and forget about it as a nightmare !!!
Check this site as an example about paypal:
http://www.aboutpaypal.org/
figaro331

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
The only entity at fault is Apple. PayPal is a payment processor that does what Apple asks. The consumer was consuming. The bank allowed the payment processor to do what it does. Apple caused this.

You guys are saying that if he had used a credit card, there would have been more of a dispute process, but there is no dispute, this was Apple's system going haywire in a once-in-a-lifetime fluke. If you wanna blame someone for the speed at which banks work, blame the banks' EFT/ACH system. But Apple still screwed people regardless of what above-and-beyond precautions the consumer didn't take.

And I GUARANTEE that the $4k guy could get something more from Apple if he complained even just a little.

Illumination

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Georgia, USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Considering the magnitude of this issue and the fact that it took so long for them to do something about it, they do deserve a little apology gift from Apple. The fanboys get more annoying every day it seems.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
Thats ridiculous.

In no way is this the consumers fault.

So we should all register on the App Store with £4000 spare credit on our cards in case Apple decides to overcharge us?

Are you broken?

nope im not. i didn't say this is not apples fault this happens all the time not just with Apple.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
The only entity at fault is Apple. PayPal is a payment processor that does what Apple asks. The consumer was consuming. The bank allowed the payment processor to do what it does. Apple caused this.

You guys are saying that if he had used a credit card, there would have been more of a dispute process, but there is no dispute, this was Apple's system going haywire in a once-in-a-lifetime fluke. If you wanna blame someone for the speed at which banks work, blame the banks' EFT/ACH system. But Apple still screwed people regardless of what above-and-beyond precautions the consumer didn't take.

And I GUARANTEE that the $4k guy could get something more from Apple if he complained even just a little.

yes but if he used a credit card he would still have his money to pay his morgage while the banks/apple figure it. so silly people can not grasp that.
these things happen all the time maybe not to this extent but they happen.

Illumination

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Georgia, USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

frunkis54 said:

yes but if he used a credit card he would still have his money to pay his morgage while the banks/apple figure it. so silly people can not grasp that.
these things happen all the time maybe not to this extent but they happen.

It's so silly that people cannot grasp the fact that this should not have happened in the first place.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009

It's so silly that people cannot grasp the fact that this should not have happened in the first place.

Your right it shouldn't have, but it did!

fine im done you guys keep using your debit cards and i'll continue using my credit card.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I know I'm going to get thrashed for this since paypal is apparently seen as the devil incarnate.

Just my experience - I've had some problems with some vendors and paypal has pursued the vendor and resolved the problem.

I'm not questioning others experiences - this is mine, however.

Please don't hurt me...:eek::D

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
When you mess with somebody's mortgage payment, they deserve more than there money back. This can create credit problems... I'm usually with those thinking that suing has gone overboard but in this situation, it may merit legal action.

You're just bitter that it didn't happen to you. Because your attorney who you keep on a monthly retainer for such things isn't busy enough already, right?

:p

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Agreed. While it was a software issue I am sure, $4000 is no small amount of change for the average Joe and from a company with 76 billion or whatever it is, $500 of parts will not break the bank.

Not like everyone would qualify for that type of apology. If memory serves Apple gave a guy a ipad because his wife said no, or something like that during the iPad 2 launch. Thats good press. This would be too. Shows we are not just numbers or Cash cows for them (yes I know we are)

Like that woman that got a free iPad simply because she wasn't allowed to pay for one with cash at the store

The fella got his money back, he deserves no more than that. The faster the world learns that suing and seeking damages is not the only solution to their problems, the better!

Give the guy a break, Jordan clearly hasn't installed Lion yet. :p

So you get your bank acc stripped of $4000 just when you need the money to pay your bill and you think it's alright if Apple just calls it a day when they refund it two weeks later? You know it affects interests and such too.

how about some personal responsibilty. yes it wasn't his fault but you shouldn't link a debit card for things like this. this is exactly what credit cards are for. if you do a dispute it doesn't tie up all your bank account funds.

Yes but it was his fault also. Credit card!, Credit card!, Credit card!

It's not his fault in any way, a debit card is a service that is offered and you should be able to trust it when doing business with serious companies as Apple.
Do you think the issuer of the debit card markets the service as "we'll gladly offer you this service, but you might get money stolen and it will be your own fault".
Are you the poster who previously claimed it was entirely his fault because he "obviously" clicked the download button 122 times?

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
It's not his fault in any way, a debit card is a service that is offered and you should be able to trust it when doing business with serious companies as Apple.
Do you think the issuer of the debit card markets the service as "we'll gladly offer you this service, but you might get money stolen and it will be your own fault".
Are you the poster who previously claimed it was entirely his fault because he "obviously" clicked the download button 122 times?

no i am not.

wow if you believe that your niave and don't understand the difference between the debit cards and credit cards.

It shouldn't of happened and its apple/paypals fault. but things like this happen more than you think. who is stuck without the money till it gets resolved? the consumer. if he used a credit card he wouldn't be out any money. why am i the only one to understand this.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I'm soooooo glad I never linked my credit card to my iTunes account.

Those iTunes gift cards are annoying, having to go to a store if you need an app quickly but they're good in terms of prevention against this kind of insane overcharging.

For the same reason I never take out a mobile phone contract but do everything on prepay. And every time I buy on Amazon and the like I put my credit card details in and remove them after placing the order.

Having said that though, I don't agree with this being the customer's fault at all. Apple makes it extremely difficult to set up an account without any linked payment details and they should have never let this happen, or at least reverted it immediately after being notified.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
no i am not.

wow if you believe that your niave and don't understand the difference between the debit cards and credit cards.

It shouldn't of happened and its apple/paypals fault. but things like this happen more than you think. who is stuck without the money till it gets resolved? the consumer. if he used a credit card he wouldn't be out any money. why am i the only one to understand this.

I understand perfectly, and I agree that credit card is a much better solution, but I certainly don't agree that the customer deserves any blame for what happened. He used a payment method that was supported by Apple and Apple screwed up (or PayPal maybe, but why would Apple even offer to pay the additional PayPal-fees if it wasn't their fault but PayPals?)

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Has anyone ever that that he has a house and may not qualify for another line of credit. Not everyone had their parents cosign for credit for them. It can take awhile to build up decent credit when you just start out.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
I understand perfectly, and I agree that credit card is a much better solution, but I certainly don't agree that the customer deserves any blame for what happened. He used a payment method that was supported by Apple and Apple screwed up (or PayPal maybe, but why would Apple even offer to pay the additional PayPal-fees if it wasn't their fault but PayPals?)

We all know this is Apple/pay pals fault. the customer isn't at fault here all i've been saying for the last 2 pages is if he used a credit card he wouldn't be in the same mess.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
How is any of this even news?

Supermarket clerk overcharged me for my bananas.

I went back and they refunded me my $1.12.

Please make sure that ends up on the front page.

verbalhijacker

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
Greed

While Mr Steve Jobs is busy overcharging people and counting his gold(literally), todays Tech review in the Guardian Newspaper states

"Bill Gates sells 5m shares in Microsoft
Software giant's founder has sold 90m shares in 12 months, but still has 500m; cash goes to help his foundation's charitable work"

What can I say, Apple may have the better products but Microsoft has the better Chairman. Bravo Mr gates.

cbs31572

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
Durham, NC
Could have gotten more...

I bet if these people that were charged 120ish times really wanted to push the issue that they could get compensated a lot more.

My wife had an issue with her 1st Gen. MacBook Air and her Apple Care ran out at the first of June. We had taken it in for an Airport Card issue right before it was about to expire. We got it back after the Apple Care expired, there was still an issue, so we took it back in and they ran diagnostics on it and then said that everything passed, but to be safe they would ship it off to their Service Center for a once over...so we thought they would just check it and send it back. Well they shipped it back with a new Logic Board, Heat Sink and new Hard Drive...the problem was that we had a Bootcamp partition and all my wife's scrapbook files were lost. We are talking thousands of dollars worth of items which she created and sold at craft shows, etc., so Apple's Customer Relations calls us and they offered us a $100 external drive for our inconvenience. I declined and said that my wife wanted to buy a PC and just get rid of her MBA. We went back and forth for about a week or so and I just said, my wife said the only thing that would make her happy would get a new MBA...so I proposed that to their Customer Relations and they agreed. So now we got a new MBA, but I didn't stop there. I said I know that a new MBA is coming out soon, so if a new one comes out can we return it for a new one? The store manager said that the normal return window is 14 days, but he would extend it to 30 days...that was on July 1st. So the new Sandy Bridge MBAs came out and we ended up with a top of the line MBA 13" i7, 4GB RAM 256 SSD for FREE!!! Apple has the BEST Customer Support by far. So basically my wife had a 1st gen MBA and owned it over 3 years, then Apple exchanges it for a new top model at NO CHARGE at all :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.