Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
My 3 year old HP that costs $1200...is now worth $55 at Best Buy...lol.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Out of curiosity, did you purchase yours there? (Did BB even sell apple products at that time?)

Yes, I did...Oddly, I couldn't find the receipt though...which was strange because I always keep receipts....It must still be some place I have not looked.

I went to the store and they used my Reward Zone account to track down the purchase and print the receipt.

You don't need to have purchased it at Best Buy, though, if you do the trade-in transaction online...only in-store.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
As per best buy trade in page, you can trade in products not purchased at Bestbuy inshore or online. At least thats how i read it here ->

Products not purchased from Best Buy
Video games can be traded-in at almost any Best Buy store or online at http://www.BestBuytradein.com, assuming the video game meets program requirements. Mobile phones, iPods. Zunes, and laptops can be taken to many Best Buy stores for immediate trade-in, subject to program rules and restrictions. To find a store near you that can receive an item for trade-in without a receipt, click the Find Store button above.

http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/

misterneums

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2009
As per best buy trade in page, you can trade in products not purchased at Bestbuy inshore or online. At least thats how i read it here ->

Same thing here. I emailed a store manager at a different store that is marked as one of the trade-in stores with a large sob story about how distressed I was from varying answers, etc, blah blah blah.

Maybe he'll be an open to it. I really don't want a 3 week turn around on me sending in my laptop.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles

http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/

Even though the website says that some stores require a Best Buy receipt for in-store trade-in, it appears that they all do. Of course, there may be exceptions but it seems to be the norm. There does seem to be a bit of confusion as to how the rules are applied in the real world.

I noticed that some stores will take trade-in with no receipt on things like video games, but not computers.

My transaction was handled very pleasantly...They searched back through my records and found the receipt from 2007...AND they ended up giving me more than the estimator print-out showed from the Best Buy Trade In website.

misterneums

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2009
Even though the website says that some stores require a Best Buy receipt for in-store trade-in, it appears that they all do. Of course, there may be exceptions but it seems to be the norm. There does seem to be a bit of confusion as to how the rules are applied in the real world.

I noticed that some stores will take trade-in with no receipt on things like video games, but not computers.

My transaction was handled very pleasantly...They searched back through my records and found the receipt from 2007...AND they ended up giving me more than the estimator print-out showed from the Best Buy Trade In website.

Right. There are only select stores in Wisconsin that do the trade ins. The two I called to today were on that list, but denied me. I'm really hoping this email works.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Right. There are only select stores in Wisconsin that do the trade ins. The two I called to today were on that list, but denied me. I'm really hoping this email works.

Hope so too. Good luck. I've had REALLY good luck with Best Buy Corporate but they probably would be hesitant to get involved in trade-in situations since it's actually a third-party provider that ultimately administers it (or at least that's what I'm figuring).

misterneums

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2009
So the email worked.

So, early this evening, I received a phone call from an assistant manager from Best Buy in regards to the email I sent last night to the store manager. As it turns out--the best buy stores that are listed as trade back stores are in fact, supposed to take trade-ins. They told me they would be happy to take my trade in. So tomorrow sometime, I will be making the trek down to that Best Buy store to pick up a 13" i5 128GB that they are holding for me. I guess the best option when dealing with best buy is to be persistent, and to go straight to the higher levels when dealing with issues.

Hopefully all goes well tomorrow.

Mhotep

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
Got me thinking about what I can dig up to take in to trade to get my wife a macbook.

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Just ran the Best Buy quote and they offered me $248 for my Mac Pro.

I just sold my other Mac Pro through the Apple trade-in program from Power On and got $704 for it.

Huge difference.

Even still if I did sellyourmac.com, they offered $808 but didn't offer any free box to ship the Mac Pro to them in and I didn't have the OEM box anymore.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm interested in doing the same thing with my MacBook. What physical condition was yours in?

It was actually in pristine condition. It never saw much use at all, since very soon after I got it, I ended up going back to Windows on a new Toshiba laptoop I purchased.

It was in a Speck Shell from the moment it left the original box...no scratches, marks or discoloration...but...since the Best Buy trade-in program only has "Good, Fair, or Poor," I got the "Good" price. I would imagine that "Good" includes items with very light wear since "Good" does not mean "Excellent."

misterneums

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2009
Sitting with my new MBA 13

So I am sitting at home right now with my brand new MBA 13" from Best Buy.

I went into the store this morning, sat around for about 15 minutes while the Geek Squad tech looked over my 2008 White Macbook 2.4 GHz Core2Duo/2GB RAM/160 GB HD. Everything went smoothly. After I got my 560$ Best Buy Gift Card, I looked around between the 11" and 13". I ended up choosing the 13". Oddly enough, the store manager approached me and was asking me questions about the email I had sent him. He seem bewildered that the other trade-in store wouldn't take my old macbook. I asked him about the 100$ Gift Card price match and he said that it wouldn't be a problem.

When I was checking out, the other computer guy I had been working with told me that all best buys should be giving the 100 dollar cards--apparently Apple covers the price match cost or something along those lines.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my experience there.

jbolt

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hmm, I have a 2008 MacBook bought a couple of weeks before they switched to 13" Pros. I already bought a new MacBook Air though. Will they still buy it back?

misterneums

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hmm, I have a 2008 MacBook bought a couple of weeks before they switched to 13" Pros. I already bought a new MacBook Air though. Will they still buy it back?

Apple Expert makes it seem like they will (see page two.) But he also says he knows the store manager.

jbolt

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011

misterneums said:

Apple Expert makes it seem like they will (see page two.) But he also says he knows the store manager.

I was wondering it Best Buy will still buy my 2008 13" MacBook unibody without doing a trade.

jbolt

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011

Nevermind, found out answer. I was quoted $600 for good condition 2008 unibody 2.0 MacBook with 4GB Ram and 500GB 7200 Rpm hard drive.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009

Nevermind, found out answer. I was quoted $600 for good condition 2008 unibody 2.0 MacBook with 4GB Ram and 500GB 7200 Rpm hard drive.
Guess I don't understand how they figure a 2011 15" mbp is only worth $35.... lmao what a rip off for owners of new machines!

razor1

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
So I am sitting at home right now with my brand new MBA 13" from Best Buy.

I went into the store this morning, sat around for about 15 minutes while the Geek Squad tech looked over my 2008 White Macbook 2.4 GHz Core2Duo/2GB RAM/160 GB HD. Everything went smoothly. After I got my 560$ Best Buy Gift Card, I looked around between the 11" and 13". I ended up choosing the 13". Oddly enough, the store manager approached me and was asking me questions about the email I had sent him. He seem bewildered that the other trade-in store wouldn't take my old macbook. I asked him about the 100$ Gift Card price match and he said that it wouldn't be a problem.

When I was checking out, the other computer guy I had been working with told me that all best buys should be giving the 100 dollar cards--apparently Apple covers the price match cost or something along those lines.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my experience there.

Which store in WI. did you do this at? I'm in WI as well and would like to do this with my 13" MBP.

misterneums

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2009
Which store in WI. did you do this at? I'm in WI as well and would like to do this with my 13" MBP.

I had no issue at the Brookfield Best Buy. The manager and staff were all amazing. I actually took time to fill out their customer survey thing.

FAsnakes

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
Not that bad of a deal..
Just estimated my Late 2006 MBP 2.33 15" for $635.

Makes me feel better about adding a 2011 MBA to complement the 2010 MBA i already have.

My problem is - i wished Best Buy carried the i7 256s.. .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.