Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
When you mess with somebody's mortgage payment, they deserve more than there money back. This can create credit problems... I'm usually with those thinking that suing has gone overboard but in this situation, it may merit legal action.

Paying your mortgage a few days late and coughing up the late charge probably wouldn't damage your credit rating to the point of any problems.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
Auditing transaction switch code has become a forensic science since outsourced engineers have had access to this code. Funneling less than a cent each of millions of transactions into peer-to-peer transaction engines is a current trend.

Good hunting boys!

like in office space:D

Mr Faineant

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

I really don't understand how so many people feel entitled to free stuff because a mistake happened. A free Mac, are you kidding me? What a pathetic thing to think. A mistake was made and corrected, it's life, it happens. Every time you make a mistake do you just start handing out money? If you do, which you don't, stop, it is unnecessary.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

frunkis54 said:
Auditing transaction switch code has become a forensic science since outsourced engineers have had access to this code. Funneling less than a cent each of millions of transactions into peer-to-peer transaction engines is a current trend.

Good hunting boys!

like in office space:D

You certainly mean superman 3

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Even Office Space admitted that :)

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009

oh yeah i forgot office space took it from superman 3 thanks

Last edited:

paepcke

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
I got charged a second time for OS X server along with Lion. I didn't have a paypal account tied to my Apple ID. When I went to upgrade from SL Server, it said I had to buy both, and then it charged me, even though I'd already paid.

That is the same that happend to me twice in a row with the same account. I asked support for refund and they told me it's my fault, they do the refund but I should be more careful in the future what I buy - HELLO! Thank you Apple for let me pay twice for the Lion and Server App and telling me I'm stupid.

Very annoying. Same for BBC iplayer int. renewal inApp. Payed 50 EUR for one Year but this does not showed up within the App. No answer from support.

Something is wrong actually. Hope this is only temporary.

Last edited:

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
The fella got his money back, he deserves no more than that. The faster the world learns that suing and seeking damages is not the only solution to their problems, the better!

While I do believe we've become too litigious as a society, I don't agree with you here. This guy was out more than a week $4000 due to a problem that was no fault of his own, when he trusted Apple that they had their sh** together in the App store. That's a lot of money to a working person. It can mean the difference between paying the bills or not. They owe him some serious butt kissing.

A new Mac would be small potatoes compared to what they put him through.

silentnite

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Outer sight.. Outer mind
Yeah that really sucks. Happen to me once at another place and the banks are so slow to correct it. I don't think he deserves a Mac for his trouble but a nice $100 gift card along with his refunded money should do.

brian82788

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
Mannheim, Germany
My post was removed for correcting a grammatical error. Macrumors changed the article to reflect the change I suggested, and then removed my post. Is this due to the irrelevance of the post after the change being made or does Macrumors not want people to know they made a little mistake, just like we all do every day?

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
This just in: It doesn't have to be the fault of a single party. From what I understand, PayPal is partially at fault for the multiple charges, while at the same time, the damage could have been mitigated if the guy had used a credit card rather than a debit card. So... This is the fault of both PayPay and the man who used his debit.

With that said, if Apple chose to give the man anything extra, in addition to what Apple owed him, that would be out of the goodness of their hearts, as in, they have no obligation to hand out freebees for a billing error. Give the money back, repair any damage done, the end.

Last edited:

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Yeah that really sucks. Happen to me once at another place and the banks are so slow to correct it. I don't think he deserves a Mac for his trouble but a nice $100 gift card along with his refunded money should do.

For fun, let's assume worst case scenario...

Let's say that all of his bills were due and are all set up to be paid automatically.

We knew his mortgage was due and he didn't have enough to cover it.

Mortgage bank attempts to take it, fails, and for a while, leaves his bank account overdrawn. $40 fee for missing mortgage payment/ bounced check, $40 overdrawn fee from his bank.

While he's overdrawn, car payment, car insurance, home owners insurance, cell phone, utilities, student loan, and everything else all try to collect, fail, and issue their fees.

His account is now overdrawn for a few days while everything is sorted out. Shame he can't buy food for his family, gas for his car, or even refill his sickly mother's medications.

Yes, this is an extreme example, but could very easily be the case... especially since he's still without his money over a week later.

If anything hit his bank account during that time and put him negative, the fees alone could easily top $100.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
The fella got his money back, he deserves no more than that. The faster the world learns that suing and seeking damages is not the only solution to their problems, the better!

Actually, the world would be better without companies that screw customers and deny services that are legally paid for (and often require legal action to get that service)(medical insurance companies, I'm looking at you).

Guy needs to be made whole---that's the underpinnings of the law. He needs to get his money back and any fees incurred because of Apple or pay pal's error.

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
His account is now overdrawn for a few days while everything is sorted out. Shame he can't buy food for his family, gas for his car, or even refill his sickly mother's medications.

Don't forget that he now can't afford dialysis and insulin, causing a horrible death. He was just about to invent cure for cancer and a 100% certain way to ensure world peace and enough food and energy to everyone.

But because of this little mistake on his bank account, human kind is now doomed and a large asteroid will hit earth in 30 days, unless all the countries in the world combine their nuclear weapons to blow up that rock.

Will Apple refund his account in time?
Is there any hope left in humanity?

Sylvester Stallone as Steve Jobs
Keanu Reeves as a guy who was charged too much

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
The man did say that he would not be able to pay his mortgage on time because of the charges, im curious to see how that comes into play.

Why? Because the individual in question cannot properly manage his money financially.

Let's be serious, what type of responsible person doesn't have a six month cushion saved before buying a house? If a $4k overdraft overextends someone to the extent that they can't pay their mortgage, maybe they shouldn't be committing to purchasing a house in the first place? And, maybe they shouldn't be spending $30 on an operating system upgrade if they don't have that cushion.

What happened to personal fiscal responsibility?

I bet if these people that were charged 120ish times really wanted to push the issue that they could get compensated a lot more.

My wife had an issue with her 1st Gen. MacBook Air and her Apple Care ran out at the first of June. We had taken it in for an Airport Card issue right before it was about to expire. We got it back after the Apple Care expired, there was still an issue, so we took it back in and they ran diagnostics on it and then said that everything passed, but to be safe they would ship it off to their Service Center for a once over...so we thought they would just check it and send it back. Well they shipped it back with a new Logic Board, Heat Sink and new Hard Drive...the problem was that we had a Bootcamp partition and all my wife's scrapbook files were lost. We are talking thousands of dollars worth of items which she created and sold at craft shows, etc., so Apple's Customer Relations calls us and they offered us a $100 external drive for our inconvenience. I declined and said that my wife wanted to buy a PC and just get rid of her MBA. We went back and forth for about a week or so and I just said, my wife said the only thing that would make her happy would get a new MBA...so I proposed that to their Customer Relations and they agreed. So now we got a new MBA, but I didn't stop there. I said I know that a new MBA is coming out soon, so if a new one comes out can we return it for a new one? The store manager said that the normal return window is 14 days, but he would extend it to 30 days...that was on July 1st. So the new Sandy Bridge MBAs came out and we ended up with a top of the line MBA 13" i7, 4GB RAM 256 SSD for FREE!!! Apple has the BEST Customer Support by far. So basically my wife had a 1st gen MBA and owned it over 3 years, then Apple exchanges it for a new top model at NO CHARGE at all :)

Why was it not backed up before sending it in?!?!?!?!?

Paying your mortgage a few days late and coughing up the late charge probably wouldn't damage your credit rating to the point of any problems.

Not until it's 30 days late (at least in the US.)

Last edited by a moderator:

cozmot

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, DC

If I recall, this guy wasn't suing or asking for anything more than his money back. This wasn't a small glitch on Apple's part, it was a major f-up, and the guy suffered more than a minor inconvenience. It would have been a magnanimous gesture on Apple's part to have made up for it with something nice, that's all.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
how about some personal responsibilty. yes it wasn't his fault but you shouldn't link a debit card for things like this. this is exactly what credit cards are for. if you do a dispute it doesn't tie up all your bank account funds.

Typical, get it now, pay it later.

My post was removed for correcting a grammatical error. Macrumors changed the article to reflect the change I suggested, and then removed my post. Is this due to the irrelevance of the post after the change being made or does Macrumors not want people to know they made a little mistake, just like we all do every day?

It's because the quality of this site is going downhill faster than a bobsleigh. When a change of the picture on a box makes front page news, you know it's time to think about the quality of this site. Also copying word for word an article from another site, and claiming it's their own.

Please excuse the rant but Arn please get back to the quality of the site from 5 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
Why? Because the individual in question cannot properly manage his money financially.
Let's be serious, what type of responsible person doesn't have a six month cushion saved before buying a house? If a $4k overdraft overextends someone to the extent that they can't pay their mortgage, maybe they shouldn't be committing to purchasing a house in the first place? And, maybe they shouldn't be spending $30 on an operating system upgrade if they don't have that cushion.
What happened to personal fiscal responsibility?

Really? You're judging someone because they don't have 6 months saved? You're pretty daft if you think this man is in any way at fault for APPLE charging his account 120 times.

God forbid he try and spend $30..... wow what a moron.`

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

The posts discussing the grammatical error were removed because they had began to dominate the thread long after the mistake they were discussing had been rectified.

As stated in the forum rules...

Off-topic posts. Off-topic posts will be deleted/edited.

We were not trying to hide our mistakes but just doing our best to keep the thread on-topic.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Really? You're judging someone because they don't have 6 months saved? You're pretty daft if you think this man is in any way at fault for APPLE charging his account 120 times.

God forbid he try and spend $30..... wow what a moron.`

You're missing the point. The deal about not being able to pay his/her mortgage because of a 4k overcharge reeks of poor financial planning. This is only judging the financial character of person. $30 on a non-essential item is only providing supporting evidence to the lack of financial prudence by the individual.

In summary, it was a problem in processing by Apple/PayPal, but the whole "I can't pay my mortgage"-business is ridiculous and shouldn't have even been stated.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
If I had Apple stock I would drop it like a stack of bricks.

LoL. Looking for a cheaper entry>?;) If you had been holding Apple stock you would have not so much negative to say about the company. LOL:D

I think Apple should pay everyone's mortgage up to the price of the erroneous charges in August who they over-billed to demonstrate good faith.. They've got the cash no sweat.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
You're missing the point. The deal about not being able to pay his/her mortgage because of a 4k overcharge reeks of poor financial planning. This is only judging the financial character of person. $30 on a non-essential item is only providing supporting evidence to the lack of financial prudence by the individual.

In summary, it was a problem in processing by Apple/PayPal, but the whole "I can't pay my mortgage"-business is ridiculous and shouldn't have even been stated.

What's ridiculous is it's a non-issue. First, most mortgages have a 10-15 day grace period in the contract. So you can be a few days late with no affect. Also, if you just call your lender and explain the situation, they will note it and all will be good. They understand things happen.

But most of all... never, ever, NEVER use a card tied to your checking account to buy on-line just for this reason. If it was a true credit card and not a bank card, none of this would even be an issue and your personal money would be safe. Mistakes and theft happens and using your debit card puts you at risk for this type of issue.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
where to start...
First, from all news reports this seems to be a software glitch on Apple and/or PayPal's part, but Apple is immediately addressing the problem for individuals and even coverings fees garnered because of it. So to insinuate that this is intentional greed and personally Steve Job's doing is absolutely asinine.

Second, while I applaud all charity and would never belittle anyone's giving, lets actually take a look at Mr. Gates donation. While definitely a great gift, it doesn't even represent one sixth of how much stock he holds, let alone his actual net worth. Do the math, and its less than 4% of his net worth. like I said, great gift, and I'm positive his intentions are noble, but lets not delude ourselves into thinking this is sacrificial giving.

Lastly, to you are just blindly assuming that Steve Jobs does no giving what so ever because he doesn't publicly announce it in a "look how great I am" way. You know what they say about assuming...

Hasn't Gates donated half of his wealth to charity already?
I have no reason to blindly assume Jobs bothers with giving to charity. He is the man who cancelled Apples philanthropy and never reinstated it and he is by all accounts from people who have worked with him personally a jerk.

I don't personally have feelings for paypal one way or the other, but I think it's more likely this asshat clicked buy 122 times than what people are assuming.

Maybe you should read up on how the App Store works before writing such ignorant crap.

That seems wildly disproportionate. $2000 in gifts for holding onto the guys $4000 for a couple of weeks??? That'a maybe $10 in lost interest. As the guy said, Apple paid all his fees plus a little extra to cover any fees that haven't shown up yet. I think an additional iTunes gift card would be a nice thing; it could be that something like that is on the way as well, as it is unlikely we are getting the entire story here.

But Apple give away iPads for almost no reason at all, and this time they really screwed up and caused real inconvenience.

Stallone would make a terrible jobs!:D

Stallone makes a terrible anyone.

What's ridiculous is it's a non-issue. First, most mortgages have a 10-15 day grace period in the contract. So you can be a few days late with no affect. Also, if you just call your lender and explain the situation, they will note it and all will be good. They understand things happen.

That might be how it works in the US, but in my country the receiver of a bill have a legal right to incurr a lateness fee from the first overdue day, and after a month or so, they can get assistance from a federal institution that are specified in helping to collect money, along with their own high fees and if you're unable to pay up this federal institution has the right to confiscate your property and auction it off to get the money.
If the App Store has the US system as a reference, I'm pretty sure they don't care about how it works in my country, so I could potentially get in a lot of trouble if something like this happened to me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.