Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

925AS

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
CALIFORNIA
I found an iPhone and no one claimed it nor could I call anyone as they had a lock on the phone. It has been 2 1/2 weeks and I have decided to keep the iPhone, but I want to use it as an iPod touch as I already have an iPhone.

When the phone is on the screen states the iPhone is disabled.

When I connect the phone to iTunes I get the following message:

"iTunes could not connect to the iPhone "iphone" because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPhone before it can be used with iTunes."

Any help or advice on how I can enable the phone would be great.

Thanks,

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Also, the new 3G's have a 10 passcode failure program that automatically wipes the iPhone clean. Definitely go with the DFU restore and you should be fine. Lost or stolen iPhones are so difficult to find the actual owners, but maybe an ad in the paper would help...:(

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
ummm how hard did you try to find the owner of the phone..

have you tried putting the sim card into your phone to see if there are any numbers on it ?

richardjaja

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
Hey

sorry i dont know whats the DFU mode could someone please tell me what it is?

Thank you very much

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
ummm how hard did you try to find the owner of the phone..

have you tried putting the sim card into your phone to see if there are any numbers on it ?

I totally agree.
Ive returned several phones ive found laying around mass transit places, its pretty easy. call mom/dad/me ect....

it is this reason removed the pass-code from my iphone. I felt that i may have a better chance re uniting with my phone if the person could call one of my contacts/favorites/recents. its risky, but its based on the principle people will do the right thing...

who knows....

anderslj

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
Hey

I'm in the same position as 925AS, I found a 3GS on vacation last summer, and I have tried to open it up to look for an owner. The owner had put a passcode on it so I haven't been able to open it up. Now it has been almost a year, so I figured I'd try to just make it my own. It's disabled and I've tried to put it in DFU mode, but iTunes is not recognizing the phone at all. Any suggestions? Thank you

dudeabiding

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
You know, if you find stolen or lost property, you really have an obligation to turn it in to the police. They will hold it for six months, and then, if it is unclaimed, they will return it to you. Then it is yours legally.

If you just keep it, it's as if you have stolen property in your possession and THAT, my little children, is a crime. There is a serial number in a phone, and it is linked to a purchaser. You DFU and restore it is, to a degree, trying to hide the fact you have stolen property, "found" or not. Contact Apple, contact the police. Let them find the owner.

I keep reading these stories here, and my first thought always is, you little thieves. Finding a $20 bill in the street, it's yours. Finding property in the street, you better turn it in, or you can find yourself facing charges.

My first phone came to me that way- found it at a bus stop, turned it in, they called and asked if I wanted it, went to pick it up, and it was legally mine.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I'm in the same position as 925AS, I found a 3GS on vacation last summer, and I have tried to open it up to look for an owner. The owner had put a passcode on it so I haven't been able to open it up. Now it has been almost a year, so I figured I'd try to just make it my own. It's disabled and I've tried to put it in DFU mode, but iTunes is not recognizing the phone at all. Any suggestions? Thank you

Why does it make a difference that it's been a year? You didn't do the right thing and hand it in when you found it. Time is only relevant if it was left with the police where the owner can find it, by the sound of it you took it out of the country, how the hell is the owner meant to find it then? Claiming it as your own now is just as immoral as when you found it (from your story, anyway).

raythepa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
similar question:

my daughters phone was stolen, I immediately notified Verizon and disabled the phone. my daughter tells me today that a friend of hers tried to contact the old phone using facetime. someone answered on the other end but then my daughters friend hung up.

If the phone is blacklisted and can't be used as a phone can it still be used for things like facetime?

coochiekuta

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
here and there
similar question:

my daughters phone was stolen, I immediately notified Verizon and disabled the phone. my daughter tells me today that a friend of hers tried to contact the old phone using facetime. someone answered on the other end but then my daughters friend hung up.

If the phone is blacklisted and can't be used as a phone can it still be used for things like facetime?

of course. verizon doesnt control wifi of whomever has the phone.

raythepa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
of course. verizon doesnt control wifi of whomever has the phone.

so i guess if i wanted i could use the iMac FaceTime app, somehow record the call as to who answers and then forward to the police where the robbery was reported or yes I could let it go which is essentially what I had done until I heard my daughters story today.

coochiekuta

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
here and there
so i guess if i wanted i could use the iMac FaceTime app, somehow record the call as to who answers and then forward to the police where the robbery was reported or yes I could let it go which is essentially what I had done until I heard my daughters story today.

dont know where that would get you but sure try it. i dont use facetime so i dont know if it has location services on it or not. if it does, it would be interesting if it reported the location.

raythepa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
it would be interesting if it reported the location.

I spoke with tech support today (as I have AppleCare for the nonexistent phone). The thief can use the phone as a wifi device and if I got them on a FaceTime call there would be no record of the receivers IP address. However, if I can get a screen capture of the person who answers I could submit that as part of my police report.

Also, they would also refund me a portion of the AppleCare fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.